Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Short Story: I unhooked the clutch cable to see how far the lever on the transmission would move to determine its travel and now I can't get the clutch to disengage.

Long Story: I bought a set of adjustable handles and I couldn't determine how far to adjust the cable to ensure that the clutch was engaged when I released the handle and disengaged when I pinched it. I moved the rough adjustment screw back and forth and the lever on the transmission always had tension on it (all of the videos I watched talked about having free play in the cable). I unhooked the cable to see where the stopping point was and it moved about 180 degrees. When I tried to move it back into the original position, it stopped at about 90 degrees and now the clutch plate won't disengage. I have no idea what the mechanism looks like, but I'm guessing there is a cog or something that is now catching and I'm hoping there is an easy fix I can do. The bike is brand new and I have no way of getting it to a dealer (200 miles away) for them to do it.

Has anyone either seen this happen or taken their engine apart enough to give me a clue? I would greatly appreciate it. I know cars, but I'm new to motorcycle engines. Thanks.

·
Registered
306 Posts
300 or 500?

Is the box in neutral while you're trying to get the cluthch lever back to normal?

Are you turning the lever back in the normal direction from when it was released?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a 300. It didn't occur to me to see if it was in gear or not. I will go try that now. Yes, I'm trying to turn it clockwise from the top as right now it is 90 degrees from where it should be.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried in in neutral and it didn't budge. I'm guessing that the torsion spring spun to the point where it is now notched somewhere and preventing the movement of the clutch lever.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Hmmm, maybe someone has a manual and can assist I hope. No worries, it will get fixed one way or the other. I would bet someone is looking it up in a manual trying to get you back on the road. Great bunch of folks here, give them time.

·
Registered
306 Posts
You need to screw your clutch lever adjuster fully in and lock it, then loosen the top nut at the bottom cable clamp all the way out to give the cable full slack. Engage the nipple in the clutch and tighten the top nut down until you get the required amount of play at your lever. Then tighten the lower nut and check that it all works.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts