Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I wanted to look at my spark plug tip like I've done dozens of times with my other bikes. I didn't realize how deep the plug was down in the hole. No problem, I put the spark plug socket down the hole and put an extension down the hole and snap it into the socket. Now I can't get the extension off of the socket and the socket and extension together are too long to get out of the hole. What to do, What to do?

·
Registered
121 Posts
I guess that you are going to pull the fuel tank and electrical board to get to the spark plugs if this is a 500.

You might want to check the valve clearance while you are nearly there.

·
Registered
376 Posts
So, I wanted to look at my spark plug tip like I've done dozens of times with my other bikes. I didn't realize how deep the plug was down in the hole. No problem, I put the spark plug socket down the hole and put an extension down the hole and snap it into the socket. Now I can't get the extension off of the socket and the socket and extension together are too long to get out of the hole. What to do, What to do?
Sounds like you'll need something to hold the socket down while you pull the extension off. A stubby screwdriver or anything you can get in there to hold it while you wiggle off the extension. Lay a rag over the area so not to scratch the paint. Good luck. If you can't get it, I can come over to help tomorrow late afternoon if you want? Unless you're just going to limp it around as a single cylinder!

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Finally got it. I practiced getting the socket off of the extension on another socket and extension and it was fairly easy. The actual setup was more difficult because of the angle. A stubby screwdriver would have worked if I could find one. Instead I used an Allen wrench and it popped right off.

Here’s what I learned - use two shorter extensions rather than one longer one. Thanks Erik for the offer to help.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Finally got it. I practiced getting the socket off of the extension on another socket and extension and it was fairly easy. The actual setup was more difficult because of the angle. A stubby screwdriver would have worked if I could find one. Instead I used an Allen wrench and it popped right off.

Here’s what I learned - use two shorter extensions rather than one longer one. Thanks Erik for the offer to help.
Gary,

Were you able to get the plug out to take a look at it?

Kenny G

·
Registered
48 Posts
What i did for my plug swap was a pair of knuckles, then sockect, bends the corner pretty good. Once the plug is loose, pull the tool out and shove 3/8" fuel hose down in over the end of the plug to grab it. I even used the fuel hose to thread the new plugs in and then tightened with ratchet. Electrics all remained in place

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gary,

Were you able to get the plug out to take a look at it?

Kenny G
No. I gave up.

What i did for my plug swap was a pair of knuckles, then sockect, bends the corner pretty good. Once the plug is loose, pull the tool out and shove 3/8" fuel hose down in over the end of the plug to grab it. I even used the fuel hose to thread the new plugs in and then tightened with ratchet. Electrics all remained in place
Nice write up. What are knuckles?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts