Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I'm Arwen, I live in Scotland and have been riding bikes for the past 4 years. Currently I have a Honda MSX 125 (Grom) which I've had for 4 years, and a BMW F700GS which I've had for 2 years. Today I have just done a deal to swap the BMW for a Honda Rebel 500.
Exciting times!
There are a few mods I know I want to do straight away with the Rebel, so will search the forum and pick some brains so I can hopefully get the answers soon. Primary it will be changing the indicators to switchback LEDs - I've already done this with my grom, I'll just need to know/find the indicator relay on the Rebel and see if its the same.
The other main mod I'll be doing right away is to adjust the handle bars a bit. Adjustable leavers and either rotating or buying pull back risers to bring the bars slightly back towards me.

My new bike is due to arrive around the 14th October, so not long to wait! For now, here is a picture of my grom, cause why not :grin2:

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the welcome. That's great to know Robble, especially when it comes to exhaust choices!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Welcome bud. Where are you located? My missus has a new set of adjustable Rebel levers in black and grey. Never fitted as she said she preferred the originals. We are in Fife.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome Arwen.
Good luck with your new Rebel
Thanks, I'm really looking forward to picking it up! I really enjoyed the test ride, even though it is a completely different style of riding compared to the F700. The brakes for a start took me an age to get used too :laugh:

·
Registered
102 Posts
I had 2 groms before the rebel and have enjoyed both but there were loads more parts for the MSX. Not sure where the relay is yet, think it may be under the tank. I would like to put switchback LED's on the same as on my SF but so far only put smoked lenses and orange bulbs that i had sitting around in my garage as indicators are exactly the same. I can deffo say the Musarri exhaust is a great value for money choice and sounds awesome without the baffle in. I put ASV levers on my grom but haven't bothered changing the CMX ones yet as i was dissapointed when they faded a bit. Being a bit short i loosened off the handlebars and rotated them back towards me and it helped hugely with the straight arm problem. You can also buy H2C risers for them. Hope you enjoy the ride bud.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks a bunch for that info @rebelwithoutacause ! I'm currently in a bit of a dilemma with the bars. I would like heated grips, but I dislike the cruiser ones from Oxford which are the only ones I can see that will fit the stock bars. If rotating the bars does not bring them back far enough for me, I was thinking of seeing if renthal fat bars would fit the bill... instead of buying risers/pullbacks. And then I can buy heated grips I do like! Too many decisions to make 😅

I'll post up when I do the indicator/DRL mod with the part I use. So far however it is looking like instead of the 99p special rely I got the the MSX, it's going to be a £20 part or a soldering job! I will however be using the same Samsung switchback bulbs. They are a bit more expensive than most, but are nice a bright and have lasted 4 years in my MSX without a problem.

My parts list of this bike is already at a stupid length... Exhaust wise I prefer the look of the Musarri (and the price!) However I love the sound of the Beowulf!
I'm not sure what to do about the headers… if they are anything like the MSX ones they will look awful after a winter.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I picked up my rebel yesterday! Only went for a short ride as the temperature dropped and it was threating to rain heavily!
I'm very pleased with it! I'm not normally a fan of all black bikes, but this suits it very well I think!
And oh what a difference being able to reach the ground with both feet makes! I'm totally in love with it 😍

I've ordered the Musarri exhaust and the Beowulf luggage rack. Both of which should arrive next week.
Today I've coated it in ACF-50, read for winter. The temperature is forecasted to drop to 1°C here tonight, so road salt will be going down already.
I've rotated the bars today too, which initially feels much better so I'll see what I think in the coming weeks.
Putting it back in the garage I can't help but laugh at the fact my MSX looks tall next to it 🤣

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi everyone. I'm Arwen, I live in Scotland and have been riding bikes for the past 4 years. Currently I have a Honda MSX 125 (Grom) which I've had for 4 years, and a BMW F700GS which I've had for 2 years. Today I have just done a deal to swap the BMW for a Honda Rebel 500.
Exciting times!
There are a few mods I know I want to do straight away with the Rebel, so will search the forum and pick some brains so I can hopefully get the answers soon. Primary it will be changing the indicators to switchback LEDs - I've already done this with my grom, I'll just need to know/find the indicator relay on the Rebel and see if its the same.
The other main mod I'll be doing right away is to adjust the handle bars a bit. Adjustable leavers and either rotating or buying pull back risers to bring the bars slightly back towards me.

My new bike is due to arrive around the 14th October, so not long to wait! For now, here is a picture of my grom, cause why not :grin2:
Good to know there is another Scot on here✊

1 - 17 of 17 Posts