Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm from Tulsa, OK. I used to ride a lot back about 12 years ago, but more or less stopped riding my own bike after my husband at the time died from cancer. I kept my old bike, a V Star 1100, but never really messed with it much after he died because it's a pretty cumbersome bike, and I'm only 5'4", and the bike became more of a chore than fun when I took it out.

My current husband rides a Honda NC700X. I miss riding on my own, so I decided to take my 1100 out again, and realized everything I loved about motorcycling, but hated about that bike. It's just too big for me, and I realized I needed to downsize. So, Thursday, I decided to go to the local Honda dealer in Tulsa and pick up the Candy Blue Rebel 500. It has been a bit rainy since I bought it, but I managed to take it out on a couple of short rides. I have a lot of bad habits to break that I developed while riding my old bike. It's more or less like starting over.

I started out on a Yamaha Virago 250 back at the end of 2003. I graduated to a Yamaha V Star 650, and then to the V Star 1100 because I thought I needed a bigger bike to have more fun and keep up with the guys my late husband and I rode with. I think I'll be perfectly happy with my first Honda, after I get back in the groove of riding again.

As a side note, I've been through the MSF course, but I could probably stand to take a refresher. I also always ride with full riding gear, pants, jacket, boots, gloves, helmet. I used to be a news photographer before I moved to the creative side of television, and I saw some pretty gruesome things when I was sent out to shoot accidents.

The bike closest to the camera is the bike I bought, equipped as seen. I'm adding a crash bar so I can put a couple more lights up front, but otherwise, I probably won't do a whole lot of modification to this bike, at least right now.

Hello everyone! If any of you ever ride through Tulsa driving Route 66, let me know, and I can show you around, and recommend a few good places to eat.

Attachments

·
Registered
869 Posts
welcome! hope you enjoy the new bike. I myself downgraded from a Vstar 1300. just didn't need that big a bike, and was too heavy to move around while parking, etc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Odin, I completely understand! That is one of the big reasons I downsized. I wanted to get out there and have fun again.

·
Super Moderator
1,233 Posts
Welcome. When I had a big bike I found my 50 cc scooter got more trips but less miles - same reason, it's easier to get on and just go.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I think I am a Yamaha man and my Rebel is my first Honda. I am well pleased with it. (I also have an FZ-07 also for its lightness, and for its performance too).
Enjoy your return to biking (I had a 50yr break..).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've had the bike out and about a couple of weeks now. I'm still rusty, but I'm having some fun. I still have bad habits from my old V Star 1100 I'm working on breaking those habits from that heavy old bike, but it is a lot harder than I thought. When I stop, it still sends a bit of terror down my spine, because my mind says I'm still on that 725 pound bike, when I'm only on a 408 pound bike. My MSF refresher course comes up a month from now. I'd love to break that bad habit before my class.

In the meantime, I added crash guards, and bought a new seat and windshield. I'd like to add some more lights up front, but haven't figured out what I want yet.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I've had the bike out and about a couple of weeks now. I'm still rusty, but I'm having some fun. I still have bad habits from my old V Star 1100 I'm working on breaking those habits from that heavy old bike, but it is a lot harder than I thought. When I stop, it still sends a bit of terror down my spine, because my mind says I'm still on that 725 pound bike, when I'm only on a 408 pound bike. My MSF refresher course comes up a month from now. I'd love to break that bad habit before my class.

In the meantime, I added crash guards, and bought a new seat and windshield. I'd like to add some more lights up front, but haven't figured out what I want yet.
Curious, what bad habits are you trying to break and what seat did you get?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts