Honda Rebel 300, 500, & 1100 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
2022 Honda Rebel 1100
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brand new rider at 31. I just purchased a 2022 Rebel 1100 DCT mid December.

Disclaimer: boredom has taken over so this isn't the short and sweet introduction.

I always wanted to get into riding a motorcycle but didn't trust my impulsive nature as a kid. I stuck to wrenching on cars and occasional light track duty.

I previously owned a 2019 Mustang GT (bought new with 2 miles on it in 2018). A couple of months ago I experienced my first accident. It was snowing when another driver attempted to accelerate and change lanes infront of me. The driver lost control and spun in my direction. I swerved into the shoulder but wasn't able to recover. I managed to avoid hitting the surrounding vehicles but hopped the median and destroyed the entire suspension. The other driver took off but multiple witnesses spoke up so I'm, fortunately, found not at fault. However, despite minimal body damage and no frame damage, my insurance deemed it a total loss. A long story that involved a formal complaint to the department of insurance got me a check for $4k less than what I paid new (thanks covid). However, inflated prices, hiking interest rates, and zero desire to purchase a used Mustang GT make it hard to financially justify another one (thanks... covid).

I'm provided a vehicle for work and don't have to commute so I humored the thought of getting a motorcycle. I was looking up cruisers that can outpace my Mustang GT in a 0-60 run stumbled upon the Rebel 1100 which checked all of the boxes (cruiser aesthetic, modern tech, quick). I got a permit and some seat time on a rebel 500 to see if I'll suck or not. Turns out I don't, so I impulsively bought a Rebel 1100 DCT and had it shipped to my house. I've gotten some flak for the DCT but I've been rowing gears my whole life and working the clutch, on the 500, just didn't scratch the same itch of enjoyment for me.

It's freakin cold so the seat time has been minimal. I've limited myself to local neighborhood streets and parking lots. I am also signed up for an MSF course in April. I look forward to meeting everyone in the community!

Attachments

· Registered
1,309 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Even with the DCT you can row the gears with the paddle shifters in manual mode. Going slow and maneuvering under 6 mph seems to be the hardest for new riders on the 1100 DCT. Practice minimal throttle and figures 8's. Learn how applying the back brake a little when going slow can help add stability. Great you are taking a riding class. Get some good riding gear too. Visiting your parking lots you have been doing is good too.

It's winter here too but we got a break in the low 50's so I finally got a good ride in. Don't be in a hurry. Get your skill up first. The front brake does the most to stop your bike but not on slick roads covered in leaves or gravel. Best of luck to you.

· Registered
3 Posts

Disclaimer: boredom has taken over so this isn't the short and sweet introduction.

I always wanted to get into riding a motorcycle but didn't trust my impulsive nature as a kid. I stuck to wrenching on cars and occasional light track duty.

I previously owned a 2019 Mustang GT (bought new with 2 miles on it in 2018). A couple of months ago I experienced my first accident. It was snowing when another driver attempted to accelerate and change lanes infront of me. The driver lost control and spun in my direction. I swerved into the shoulder but wasn't able to recover. I managed to avoid hitting the surrounding vehicles but hopped the median and destroyed the entire suspension. The other driver took off but multiple witnesses spoke up so I'm, fortunately, found not at fault. However, despite minimal body damage and no frame damage, my insurance deemed it a total loss. A long story that involved a formal complaint to the department of insurance got me a check for $4k less than what I paid new (thanks covid). However, inflated prices, hiking interest rates, and zero desire to purchase a used Mustang GT make it hard to financially justify another one (thanks... covid).

I'm provided a vehicle for work and don't have to commute so I humored the thought of getting a motorcycle. I was looking up cruisers that can outpace my Mustang GT in a 0-60 run stumbled upon the Rebel 1100 which checked all of the boxes (cruiser aesthetic, modern tech, quick). I got a permit and some seat time on a rebel 500 to see if I'll suck or not. Turns out I don't, so I impulsively bought a Rebel 1100 DCT and had it shipped to my house. I've gotten some flak for the DCT but I've been rowing gears my whole life and working the clutch, on the 500, just didn't scratch the same itch of enjoyment for me.

It's freakin cold so the seat time has been minimal. I've limited myself to local neighborhood streets and parking lots. I am also signed up for an MSF course in April. I look forward to meeting everyone in the community!

your going have lots of fun with your bike. I’m a new rider also ( 2nd riding season) starting riding at 62 at retirement. I also wrenched my hole working career. I live in northern Illinois also. Get a hold of me if you want to do a ride together sometime.

· Registered
2022 Honda Rebel 1100
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome to the forum. Even with the DCT you can row the gears with the paddle shifters in manual mode. Going slow and maneuvering under 6 mph seems to be the hardest for new riders on the 1100 DCT. Practice minimal throttle and figures 8's. Learn how applying the back brake a little when going slow can help add stability. Great you are taking a riding class. Get some good riding gear too. Visiting your parking lots you have been doing is good too.

It's winter here too but we got a break in the low 50's so I finally got a good ride in. Don't be in a hurry. Get your skill up first. The front brake does the most to stop your bike but not on slick roads covered in leaves or gravel. Best of luck to you.
Thanks! I'm definitely going to stick to low speed stuff until the MSF, at a minimum. And thanks for the tips! Low speed with the dct has definitely been harder than when I had the clutch on the 500. Rain mode and making sure I look where I'm going helps a lot but once I step it up to a different mode I start struggling. It just feels harder to maintain a consistent speed but I'm sure practice will rectify it. It's fun having something new to learn and master.

· Registered
2022 Honda Rebel 1100
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
your going have lots of fun with your bike. I’m a new rider also ( 2nd riding season) starting riding at 62 at retirement. I also wrenched my hole working career. I live in northern Illinois also. Get a hold of me if you want to do a ride together sometime.
Will do! Don't hold your breath because it'll be a few months before I'm ready (and weather permits) but I'll definitely keep you in mind! I don't really have anyone to ride with, and being a fellow gearhead is a bonus.

· Registered
3 Posts
👍 the biggest learning curve for me is making sure the transmission is in neutral when I’m rolling the bike backwards. Rolling backwards with my hands on the handlebars my hand tends to roll the throttle. The bike will lunge forward if it’s in gear (not good).

· Registered
2022 Honda Rebel 1100
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
👍 the biggest learning curve for me is making sure the transmission is in neutral when I’m rolling the bike backwards. Rolling backwards with my hands on the handlebars my hand tends to roll the throttle. The bike will lunge forward if it’s in gear (not good).
Yeah the throttle is sensitive. I always put it in neutral, when backing up, because I honestly thought it had to be in neutral. Maybe try and trick yourself that it needs to be that way lol. I keep forgetting to put it into neutral before I turn it off, though. It throws me off that it doesn't roll when I let off the brakes, like an automatic would.

· Registered
2022 Honda Rebel 1100
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It’s different than a clutch bike but I’ve gotten used to it now. I put 8500 miles last summer.
Right. It probably helps that I don't have a manual down to instinct. Going from a manual car, to an automatic, has me almost kicking a hole through the firewall. I could only imagine how it would be like with a motorcycle.

Ha, dang. You really like to cruise! It feels like I'm just counting the days until I can get out there. My first goal is to make it to Galena, IL and back. It's about 250 miles round trip.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts