Honda Rebel 300, 500, & 1100 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

I've been lurking around here for a few weeks, finally decided to introduce myself. I'm getting ready to purchase my first motorcycle next week, and right now the Rebel 500 is at the top of my list. When I first went out to do some browsing, I went to the local Honda dealer in town and fell in love with the Rebel as soon as I saw it. I really like the simple, blacked out look to it!

There's also a 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S ABS with really low mileage that I also have my eyes on for about 1500 bucks less. Anyone here have experience with both of these? From what I've read it seems like the Vulcan has a bit more power, but for my size (5'10", 210lbs) I think the Rebel 500 will get me around just fine. I think the Rebel is much better looking also, so I wouldn't mind sacrificing a little power for some style. I live out in the sticks, so I would be doing very little (if any) highway riding. I'm taking the Safety Course this weekend, so I'll be able to test ride both bikes and see which one is the best fit for me.

I was interested in the Harley Street 500 and 750, but after going to 2 Harley stores I decided no. I got the impression from both stores that unless you're ready to spend big money on a beast, they couldn't be bothered with some newbie. Plus for the price, I think the Rebel (or the Vulcan) would give me a lot more bang for my money. It seems like the only negative thing I've read about the Rebel is the seat being uncomfortable, I'm not sure how much of an issue that would be for me until I spend some real time on one. I cycle a lot, so I'm kinda used to being on a hard seat for a few hours at a clip.

Thanks for all the great info on this board, it's really helpful to get information from actual owners instead of salesman and online review sites.

-CG

·
Registered
527 Posts
I've sat on the Harely streets and didn't really like how it feels you're sitting on top of the bike, rather than "in" the bike like you feel on the rebels.

I think the vulcan is the better bike in terms of performance. But the Rebel 500 has everything that would fit your needs, especially if you're not concerned about long highway stints.
Really you couldn't go wrong with either bike, it's just a matter if the Rebel looks $1,500 better to you.

·
Premium Member
1,655 Posts
I think in most cases people just need to get used to the seat on the Rebel.
I complained at first too, but now, 2300 miles later, I don't notise it anymore.
Ofc, the seat isn't exactly like sitting on a comfy chair with lots of padding, so it takes some getting used to.

Good luck with your hunting and buying!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello again! I went and took the Rebel 500 and The Vulcan S for a test ride, and it was a no-brainer (for me anyway) to choose the Rebel. The Vulcan was a nice ride, but it had just a little too much "get up and go" for my taste! I hopped on the Rebel and was of and running no problem. Real comfortable fit for me! I put a deposit down on it tonight, and I'll be bringing her home by the end of the week! The wife snapped a photo as I was riding, I'll post a better pic once it is parked in my garage.

-CG

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi! I am a new rider as well. I can't speak to the Vulcan, but I just picked up my Honda Rebel last week. I bought the bike brand new and already have almost 100 miles on it. It's agile, intuitive, and so much fun. I did a lot of research before making this choice, and I do not regret it one bit. I could not have dreamed up a better first motorcycle. Good luck and be safe!

·
Super Moderator
1,025 Posts
As a first bike CGraz, the Rebel would be easier handling than your other two choices.
Also less expensive & would give you the extra cash for accessories.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hello and welcome.

My previous bike was a Vulcan S650. It is comfortable and adaptable to the size of the pilot by three adjustable positions of the footpegs. His biggest fault is the steering much too wide.

The Rebel CMX500 is great. Its lighter weight compensates for the difference in power.
At first, because of leg pain after an accident, I felt discomfort. Quickly I got used to it and I would not want to change anymore.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bonjour et bienvenue.

Ma moto précédente était une Vulcan S650. Elle est confortable et adaptable à la taille du pilote par trois positions réglables des pose-pieds. Son plus gros défaut est le braquage beaucoup trop large.

La Rebel CMX500 est formidable. Son poid plus léger compense bien la différence de puissance.
Au début, à cause d'une douleur à la jambe après un accident, j'ai épprouvé de l'inconfort. Rapidement je me suis habitué et je ne voudrais plus changer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts