Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys and girls after seeing the Rebel 500 by chance in uk I fell in love..it revived my interest in biking after 10 years, only previously owned a c90 for 5 years.
I have been backwards and forwards to dealership to sit on the bike as I am 6ft 3 190lbs and have had lower back problems, my direct access course is due in 3 weeks which will discount the Rebel by £500 if taken through Honda,
my concerns are am I going to be too big for this bike I visited a showroom today and the salesman said “can I help? you look far too big on that” I was already unsure how comfy I’d be and he really didn’t help, the problem is I can’t testride until I pass but if it turns out to be a no go I’ll miss big discounts on other branded bikes by not completing training through them, I’m not keen on other Honda bikes available at price range
I’d be really grateful to here from any tall guys to know if you find the bike comfortable and are sitting upright
Thanks

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
DJH,

I am only 6' x 170 LB and I couldn't ride the new Rebel before modifying the seat to raise the height an additional 3 inches.

Kenny G

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi,

I'm 6' 220lbs and am fine on the stock Rebel, I don't feel too big on it and apparently don't look it either.

Saying that, adding another 3" is a lot and could easily be too much - Ryan on F9 has done a youtube review of the Rebel and he is I believe somewhere around 6'3". I remember him mentioning that he felt too big for it. Body shape is another factor, if a lot of your 6'3" is leg then I would say you will definitely struggle.

·
Premium Member
1,655 Posts
DJH,

I am only 6' x 170 LB and I couldn't ride the new Rebel before modifying the seat to raise the height an additional 3 inches.

Kenny G
Should perhaps add that your young age of 80 might have some say in this? That you had problem lifting your legs due to the low seat height?

I'm a youngster at 6'1 and have not had any problem with riding the rebel.
I have some times feelt big/oversized on the bike, but in no way has it been an issue in regards of it. The Rebel is a relatively small bike in size after all.

Sent fra min SM-G930F via Tapatalk

·
Registered
548 Posts
It is your inseam size that is relevant to fitting yourself to a bike from the seat downwards, isn't it?

·
Registered
62 Posts
It is your inseam size that is relevant to fitting yourself to a bike from the seat downwards, isn't it?
Robbie makes a good point here. I'm 6ft 1 with a 30 to 31 inseam. The bike feels perfect for me, I don't feel to big for the bike and like others have said, I've been told by many it doesn't look small for my size.

It's comfortable. I know you are unable to test ride it. But how does it feel when you sit on it. As easy as it is to say, I wouldn't worry about what other people think. As long as your comfortable, happy and safe that's all that matters.

Good luck with your Direct Access mate

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm 1.82m = 5'11 and 77 kg= 170lbs .. I believe I'm like at the limit.

It's ok, it was great learning to ride on it, saw pics of me on the motorcycle and it looks OK, it doesn't look like a small bike for my body size.

After doing 2.000 km I would increase the seat height using a seat with springs(unfortunately I cannot find a plug and play one) and move forward the foot controls, for a more relaxed stance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm 6'1" and found the stock setup just fine. But I changed to the slightly higher up tracker style seat and love it even more. Now it's perfect for flat footing with legs ever so slightly bent.

With the standard seat my legs were really bent flat footing, to the point I felt a little wobbly. Now it's pretty much perfect and I prefer the view when riding in city traffic. Final bonus is pillon gets to sit right with you, rather than on a little pad above you (better center of gravity).

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I'm just 1.82m=5.9 , i was thinking of forward controls and seat raise.

Raising it just a little could be done with a seat like this,

I'm still considering it, this seat with springs. I guest it would give towards 3 inches.
I think that seat would give quite a bit of elevation. I am hoping someone tries it and reports back.....

Most of the bike I have owned, until recent years, had a 30" to 31" seat height from the factory and that fit the riders of that era time.

Kenny G

·
Registered
1 Posts
DJH,

Kenny G
Where did you get the seat in this picture? If you also have any other recommendations for raised seating options I would highly appreciate it. Currently 6'5 trying to fit on a rebel 300 lol

·
Registered
44 Posts
Where did you get the seat in this picture? If you also have any other recommendations for raised seating options I would highly appreciate it. Currently 6'5 trying to fit on a rebel 300 lol
I had a local automotive upholstery shop add the 3 inches of foam and make the cover. It cost me $162.00 US.
I am about to get it redone with a gel pad and this time the cover will be black with a diamond pattern with red stitching.
Kenny G

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had a local automotive upholstery shop add the 3 inches of foam and make the cover. It cost me $162.00 US.
I am about to get it redone with a gel pad and this time the cover will be black with a diamond pattern with red stitching.
Kenny G
Kenny, who are you using to redo your seat?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi guys and girls after seeing the Rebel 500 by chance in uk I fell in love..it revived my interest in biking after 10 years, only previously owned a c90 for 5 years.
I have been backwards and forwards to dealership to sit on the bike as I am 6ft 3 190lbs and have had lower back problems, my direct access course is due in 3 weeks which will discount the Rebel by £500 if taken through Honda,
my concerns are am I going to be too big for this bike I visited a showroom today and the salesman said “can I help? you look far too big on that” I was already unsure how comfy I’d be and he really didn’t help, the problem is I can’t testride until I pass but if it turns out to be a no go I’ll miss big discounts on other branded bikes by not completing training through them, I’m not keen on other Honda bikes available at price range
I’d be really grateful to here from any tall guys to know if you find the bike comfortable and are sitting upright
Thanks
Thanks
Hi DJH1973,
When I bought my Rebel I had similar problems but because I am short. I was looking for a bike that was low enough for me. A friend showed me a site called “motorcycle ergonomics “ which allows you to show how your body looks on many different models of bike. You can input you measurements and if necessary customise one of their standard bikes to get an idea of how you will fit. I also put in the measurements of my previous bike for comparison. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
4 Posts
DJH,

Kenny G
Just wondering, is this a kit that you used to get your seed raised? I'd like to do the same thing but can't find anything online to raise the seat.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts