Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Attempting to install some Bike Master heated grips on my wife's Rebel 500. The instructions say to attach the red wire to the "key on switch wire". Does anyone know where this wire might be found?

Also, it's a 4A fuse for the heated grips, can I tap into another wire? Brakes lights, perhaps?

I'm assuming connecting straight to the battery terminals wouldn't be good and might drain the battery over time. Is that a correct assumption?

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
They mean one of the wires that goes to your ignition, since turning your key turns on power for the rest of the bike.
So basically, you could just draw the "raw" power needed to power the grips from the empty power socket either in the headlight, or underneat the tank, and then wire up your own "on/off" svitch to determine when they should have power or not.

So yes, connecting straight onto the battery, without any way of cutting off the power, would drain it over time.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They mean one of the wires that goes to your ignition, since turning your key turns on power for the rest of the bike.
So basically, you could just draw the "raw" power needed to power the grips from the empty power socket either in the headlight, or underneat the tank, and then wire up your own "on/off" svitch to determine when they should have power or not.

So yes, connecting straight onto the battery, without any way of cutting off the power, would drain it over time.
I realize they mean the wire that goes to the ignition, however, where is that found under the seat/side panels? The negative hooks up the the battery so I'm looking for a wire within a foot of that to tap into.

The Grips already have a switch, so I don't need to install my own.

Here's what I'm working with. The positive has an inline fuse.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I think I would use a relay off of the ignition key and then feed the power from the battery thru the relay to the heated grips.

FWIW

Kenny G

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ended up taping into the rear light. Please let me know if this is wrong or dangerous. Everything is currently working. The switch does turn off the grips and my wife will be shutting them off each time she turns off the bike.....hopefully.

Attachments

·
Registered
712 Posts
I would think the better option would be to wire it to the ignition, so that if the key's off, so are the grips... then it's just a matter of using the switch to turn them on/off as needed, without having to worry about inadvertently draining the battery.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would think the better option would be to wire it to the ignition, so that if the key's off, so are the grips... then it's just a matter of using the switch to turn them on/off as needed, without having to worry about inadvertently draining the battery.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
That is what the instructions say but I'm not sure where I can find the ignition wire around the seat area. I most definitely would like to stick with your advice and the instructions.

I figured the brake/tail light has enough amperage to handle the grips and they go off when the ignition is off.

·
Registered
352 Posts
It's much better connect them via relay, so you will got main power to the grips via battery, switch on handlebars will be only trigger and won't get all that power needed for grips... Here you have schematic how to wire them properly- if you not very familiar with electric it's maybe better to let do this somebody else...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
It's much better connect them via relay, so you will got main power to the grips via battery, switch on handlebars will be only trigger and won't get all that power needed for grips... Here you have schematic how to wire them properly- if you not very familiar with electric it's maybe better to let do this somebody else...
I concur.

Kenny G

·
Registered
221 Posts
Don't underestimate this suggestion. All it takes is forgetting to turn
them off once, and your day (probably your evening) is ruined. Also you don't need a relay to do this.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Relay is here only to prevent all curent needed for grips goes through switch. I have had issue with one car where they were changed bulbs from ordinary to H4. Have to change switch every half year, and when (after few changes of switches) I put relays in harness, I also noticed that wires that went to the switch, have melted insulation:surprise:. When sorted this haven't had problem ever since. OK, here we have less then half current going through grips, but, I will always go relay route (as I did this in all my current and past bikes)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts