Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
Haven't done anything yet, but been playing around with the thought of getting a dual headlight on it some day.
In the more near future, I might replace the bulb with xenon light instead.

·
Registered
32 Posts
So... this is what I've done so far and the road map as there is no easy solution right now.

1. I have installed the PIAA 15224 H4, thought it would be righter and whiter, boy was I lied to... I've switched it back to stock after riding at 4AM one morning.

Future: still deciding between these 2, feel free to provide opinions please.

Phase 2

JDM ASTAR

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018F3FKVW/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I2P070HU1LMJ0P&colid=23TSHN9KNFEAZ

OR

Paradise Lights

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010QBCZ1O/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I117ZRJPNSYWUO&colid=23TSHN9KNFEAZ

Phase 3: When Honda realizes it's 2017+ and all should have HID or LED and do a minor update to the headlights, I will order parts and retrofit it.

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
I don't get you guy's "obsession" with changing the bulb to a LED bulb?
Here in Norway they aren't legal for road use, since the light produced from they ain't strong/bright enough compaired to regular bulbs, and thus is only allowed as a park light or daytime running light, but not as a main light source.

I've been looking at a Xenon set for my bike, which gives you 5-10 times more light. Pluss I've got the options for either 35 watt (normal/standard) or 55 watt, and from 3000 kelvin to 10.000.
I've always had Xenon on every vehicle I've own.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Here in Norway they aren't legal for road use, since the light produced from they ain't strong/bright enough compaired to regular bulbs, and thus is only allowed as a park light or daytime running light, but not as a main light source.

I've been looking at a Xenon set for my bike, which gives you 5-10 times more light. Pluss I've got the options for either 35 watt (normal/standard) or 55 watt, and from 3000 kelvin to 10.000.
LEDs are absolutely brighter than standard bulbs, despite Norway's faulty reasoning for not allowing them.

I'm not sure what the lumen rating is for the stock OEM bulb, but I replaced it with a Sylvania Silverstar which is much brighter and whiter, and is around 1500 lumens. The two previously linked LEDs are in the 2000-3000 lumen range, and you can get LED bulbs with much higher outputs than that (the OPT7 is over 4200 lumens, for example).

·
Registered
712 Posts
Sure, they can be brighter, but an LED bulb doesn't shine it's light as a regular bulb does, thus not achieving the right casting of the light, sort to speak.
Yes, if the bulb is not designed to work with the housing it's being installed in, yeah.. it's not going to work right.

That doesn't mean that there aren't bulbs that will work in the OEM housing... not to mention that the entire housing can be replaced with a new headlight unit designed solely for use with LED bulbs.

Unless you're saying that any LED bulb is not going to shine as far as a non-LED bulb, in which case I'll just say you're flat out wrong lol

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have installed the PIAA 15224 H4, thought it would be righter and whiter, boy was I lied to... I've switched it back to stock after riding at 4AM one mornino.
You've probably not been lied to, they are most likely more powerful bulbs, but I dare say it may be trying to draw more than the electrical system can manage as it's double what it was designed for. A decent LED can most certainly out power an incandescent bulb!

·
Registered
32 Posts
You've probably not been lied to, they are most likely more powerful bulbs, but I dare say it may be trying to draw more than the electrical system can manage as it's double what it was designed for. A decent LED can most certainly out power an incandescent bulb!
The voltage needs is the same according to the manual and the ad. I still am inclined to agree with you as if something needs to burn brighter more energy is required. Either way, I'm still disappointed...

·
Registered
32 Posts

Personally, I think it's a cleaner look and is easier on the eyes.

·
Registered
108 Posts
The voltage needs is the same according to the manual and the ad. I still am inclined to agree with you as if something needs to burn brighter more energy is required. Either way, I'm still disappointed...
It's the extra wattage that will cause the issues. A standard 55W bulb will draw about 4.5amps, but the 110W bulb will draw double that. You risk blowing fuses or causing permanent damage to your electrics.
Also, I believe the stator will produce an absolute maximum of 280 watts, that's to power all the electrics on your bike and charge your battery. There's a good chance that drawing that much current could leave you with a deflated battery at the end of a ride or even damage your stator. Always be wary when demanding more of your electrics

·
Registered
46 Posts
I had the paradise led on my grom and I was amazed at how much more light it put out than the stock.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts