Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone run out of gas on their Rebel?
It had been raining here off and on for two weeks so I had not ridden the bike for a while. On Tuesday it was a nice sunny day and I had to get to San Clemente by 8am, about 20 miles. I had forgotten how low the bike was on gas, only the “E” bar was showing. Should I get some gas and be late or go for it. I went for it. Made it too ? The “E” bar was flashing. After the meeting I filled up at a gas station on the next block and all was well.
My question is… What happens to the bike when you do run out of gas? Is there anything past the “E” bar? Is there a hidden “reserve” that gets used somehow? Does the bike sputter? (this is my first fuel injected bike). Once you fill the take with gas will the bike start right up?

·
Registered
250 Posts
The blinking "E" bar is technically the last bar. So when you're full this bar is not shown.
If you run out after that, "You're done...son!"

I enjoy just starting it up in the morning rolling it to the end of the driveway and just ride, no need for any warming up...obviously be reasonable when riding it after a cold start.

·
Registered
153 Posts
The gas gauge is there to be used so you don't run out.
Just like if you run out in a car, it will take awhile for the gas to get to the engine and get up to pressure.
Continued cranking should do it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
You have an electric fuel pump for the EFI (electronic fuel injection). There's a check valve in line so fuel in the lines won't drain back into the tank (hard to do with the tank above the engine anyways) when fuel supply is good and the engine is shut off. If you do run the fuel system dry, add fuel and then activate the starter. It may take a few more seconds for the system to prime but once fuel reaches the injectors, you're good to go.

Mary Pozzi

·
Registered
43 Posts
Just don't crank the ignition once you run out of fuel and it will likely be fine. Fuel cools the injectors as it passes through so cranking the ignition without fuel can overheat the injectors.

I ran out of fuel in my Silverwing (fuel injected) and I knew it was out so I did not crank it to make sure. I got a ride to a gas station and back, put a half gallon into the tank and it fired back up with the first press. I love fuel injected engines.

There's still quite a bit of fuel in the bike when the E bar starts flashing, based on the total capacity and the amount I can put in when it starts flashing, about .9 gal.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I am sure I could get 200mls from a tankful. But in the UK you have to grab fuel when you can and I have not tested it that far. I can never get as much fuel into the tank as I expect with either of my bikes. So I suspect the flashing 'E' takes you quite some way.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have had the 2020 S bike for a month and clocked up 700 miles. The bike is awesome but I don't like the crude and clusey fuel gauge. Let's see. 11.2 litre tank, not sure you can actually get that in the tank when refueling on the side stand. So, the last bar on tbe gauge is blinking. Within s few miles I refill. Only 8.6 litres to the top. That means I'm running blind on 2.6 litres! That's a quarter of the capacity of the tank. Honda say 26km/litre so for nearly 70km I'm running blind. The light should blink only when you have a litre left. 26km is plent of distance to find a gas station IMHO

·
Registered
494 Posts
For refuelling, I carry a block around with me to prop the bike up more vertical. Just pop it under the stand... and be careful.

·
Registered
51 Posts
For refuelling, I carry a block around with me to prop the bike up more vertical. Just pop it under the stand... and be careful.
Last time I re-fueled I grabbed the hose then sat upright on my bike while filling up. Attendant from the window screamed at me to get off my bike. Dunno what his problem was, He could see from his till that I was paying at the pump and my cc had been acepted. Some people are so paranoid!

·
Registered
494 Posts
For me there is some extra danger. Less easy to escape if there was a fire. Isn't that the reason for the screaming?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I once had my bike shut off on me due to an empty tank whilst on a trip to Thailand from Malaysia with 2 of my buddies. Just shy of 500 meters from the gas station. I was maintaining it on 140km/h even though the fuel indicator started blinking. Got about a total of 220km from full tank at that speed. Anyway what will happen is...
1. You will lose throttle control. Twist as much as you like... The bike won't accelerate.
2. The engine will start to sputter
3. The engine will automatically shut off, and if you try the ignition it is just running on fumes and will almost instantly shut off again.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Why can't Honda do what they used to do? Filler cap offset so that when on the side stand the filler cap is top most. As my Honda Shadow: (also, note the helmet locking device. What happened to those? An original part, not an accessory)

Shadow750.JPG

1 - 12 of 12 Posts