Honda Rebel 300, 500, & 1100 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made the trip out to Kingston, WA, to have the stock seat on my Honda Rebel 1100 customized at Rich's Custom Seats. My complaints about the original seat were:

• It looked awful. The vinyl cover doesn't follow the actual line of the foam. You know when that vinyl stretches, it is bound to look as saggy as I do.
  • I needed height. Until someone starts shipping a kit to move those pegs, my knees were up too far relative to my hips, and I needed to stretch every 30m.
  • I needed to get back from the tank. Long legs and long arms.
  • I needed more security in the seat. Every time I cracked open the throttle, the bike wanted to leave me behind.

In my mind, it would be a hard seat to customize -- the seat pan is pretty tiny, and my backside was hitting the bar. (Can't blame that on height, just good living.) But Rich built the foam, up, out and back from the pan, and added pelvic support to move me up and back. It takes a solid day of loafing around the shop so they can test and re-test, but it was worth it. (He also does mail-ins, but I assume it's better to have the dummy for the design. Me.)

I've spent the last couple days riding around the Olympics afterwards, breaking it in, and now I can run a couple hours until the pegs annoy me and I need to get off and walk around. That lines up with the range of the fuel tank, so I am pretty happy.

Next up is adding some risers. The arm position is close, but I could use a little more reach. The down side to changing the seat position is that it moves you away from the bars as well as the pegs.

Seat in the middle of the fitment:

Seat, after getting it covered with leather:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Nice! The most comfortable seat I’ve ever had was one that was re-foamed by
Mean City Cyles, at a fraction of the cost of an after-market seat. It usually takes a little more time, and they want your stock seat pan to work from, but it’s definitely worth it. Glad you found something that works for you.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep. Same process here. I would be pretty grumpy if I had to mail in my seat and wait on shipping. The price was higher than a Corbin, $650 with tax.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If it were my vette, sure! That was another project at the shop. Those loops are from a Kriega OS-Rack set. I use them to hook Kriega bags on the fender. (Be careful the hooks don’t scuff your paint!)

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
glad to hear you're happy with the results !

·
Registered
2021 Honda Rebel 1100 DCT and 2012 Yamaha FZ8
83 Posts
Could you get a side picture with the completed and covered seat? It looks surprisingly good from what I can tell with the foam picture. What did it run you?

Glad your happy with it!

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
top view in original post i thought was brown, but now looks like they tried to match the burgundy-ish color. looks great

1 - 16 of 16 Posts