Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was on my out to a buddy's lake property out in tbe boonies for a day of 4 wheelers, jet skis and bbq. Rural county, 2 lane blacktop but no lines on the highways.

I saw there had been a pickup truck behind me for the past few miles (probably 100 yards back), so when it was time to turn off the highway, I made sure to signal early.

I took my time braking for the turnoff onto a side country road, as there's almost always some loose gravel where these roads meet the highway.

Just as I'm starting to make the turn, I hear tires screeching and the pickup's ABS kicking in, so I leaned hard and rolled on the throttle to get out of the way... guy couldn't have missed me by more than a foot, and I managed to make the turn without going in the ditch on the outside of the turn.

So I guess this would be one of those "I didn't see you" moments, despite a clear sunny day, brake and turn signals fully functional, helmet and armored jacket both about half hi-viz yellow...

...glad that at least *I* was paying attention, anyway...

·
Registered
527 Posts
Shitty situation, but you'll quickly learn that situation's of unattentive drivers is quite common. Happens to me nearly everyday in Chicago. Glad you made it out okay. Always keep your guard up

·
Registered
185 Posts
Glad you made it out ok! We really have to be on guard at all times.
Take care guys.

·
Registered
178 Posts
In my MSF course they taught us to treat every driver on the road as if they're out to get you, don't ever assume someone sees you or acknowledges you're there.
Its not me or my riding I'm worried about, its everyone else around me. comman saying in Canada. especially in the winter, its like people forgot how to drive. lol.

I had a few close calls, nothing too serious. I was in a group of 14 other riders, truck came across into the middle of the group, then break checked the ones behind me (me). Thankfully, I seen his tires and truck starting to move over so I was already breaking, and had time to signal the other riders behind me. Some people... lol.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts