Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone even use GPS trackers hidden on their bike? I feel like I should, but not entirely sure my money would be well spent since the bike is effectively gone forever if it's stolen. My best bet would be to at least give the police an area to go sniffing around for trouble if they cared enough to follow up. Which I somewhat doubt they would...

Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
1,271 Posts
better than nothing but they cost like $30 / month - a good cable and lock is a better value

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
35 Posts
I use for 5 years GPS trackers TK102. Accuracy of 2 to 3 meters.
In order not to charge the internal battery I have a permanent charger on the battery of the motorcycle.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Does anyone even use GPS trackers hidden on their bike? I feel like I should, but not entirely sure my money would be well spent since the bike is effectively gone forever if it's stolen. My best bet would be to at least give the police an area to go sniffing around for trouble if they cared enough to follow up. Which I somewhat doubt they would...

Thoughts?
I have this one:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/MoniMoto-Motorcycle-Suitable-Scooters-Snowmobiles/dp/B072HV5SLQ

It seems to be available in EU only though.. Also, its not a live tracker, its a silent alarm. It places an automatic call the to owner in case of motions (without detecting the key fob), then sends gps coordinates every 5min. I have tested few times, its pretty accurate. Also, no wiring needed, it is powered by a replaceable battery which has got a year or so lifetime (unless it triggers every day).
Monthly fee is still free as the app is in beta mode yet but it will cost like £3-4 a month and that includes EU roaming.
I would say it worth for me, as an extra "something that makes you sleep better"

·
Super Moderator
991 Posts
I use for 5 years GPS trackers TK102. Accuracy of 2 to 3 meters.
In order not to charge the internal battery I have a permanent charger on the battery of the motorcycle.

I have had the exact same one for about 5 years, bought it for the quad copter.
I’ve never ever got it to work!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was looking at getting a disk brake lock too, found some decent ones on amazon for $30. I also found these 10 Best Smallest GPS Tracker - Buying Guide 2020 and $20/mo with some really nice sounding features.
AMERICALOC and SpyTec are suitable for bicycles. They are hidden anti-theft trackers. I have experience using SpyTec. It is easy to set up and provides detailed instructions for use, you just need to follow the instructions. I chose the 60-second plan and you can choose any plan you want. 60-second plan, GPS will update every 60 seconds to provide you location information. In some cases, it lags a few seconds on the update, which is still within my acceptable range.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Thoughts?
I purchased a SinoTrack ST-901 GPS Tracker on amazon.com for US$26. Since it is a GSM2 device, the only Canadian cell phone provider that it will work with is Chatr. Chatr offers a Canada-wide unlimited text messaging plus 100 call minutes per month prepaid plan for CAD$15 per month. If you sign up for their autopay, you get a bonus of 250MB data per month. Be careful, though! The website setup for autopay will take $30 plus tax from your credit card every month instead of $15 plus tax, and the only way to change that is to phone customer service!
I've tested the device in my car, and it works well. You send it text messages from your phone to set it up. Lots of possibilities for alarms: shaking; overspeed; geofence; power disconnected; ignition turned on. To save your battery, you can set it to sleep mode, but you can still have it text you once a day to let you know it's functioning. Frequency of sending out location info can be adjusted separately for ignition on or ignition off modes, or you can poll it to get location. Since SMS can be slow at times, you can have the tracker phone you for alarms. It can also be set to call up to two additional phone numbers. SinoTrack has an app which will provide real-time tracking on a map, but this requires cell phone data usage.

I haven't installed it yet (only took delivery of my bike 10 days ago!). I'm looking at using the 8 pin options connector under the seat which provides both continuous power from the battery as well as switched power according to the wiring diagram. Has anyone used this connector for anything? Anyone have any information about obtaining a mating 8 pin connector?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Update on the SinoTrack GPS tracker: I made a harness to go from the 8-pin options connector under the seat to the space under the left cover, with a 4-pin connector from cycleterminal. The tracker and the connector fit under the plastic cover, and this location does not interfere with the GPS satellite signals. My only concern was to switch the tracker modes easily from when riding to when it's parked. There are 7 alarm settings that I wanted to change, and each one requires sending an individual SMS to the tracker. But yesterday I discovered that Apple's iOS has a very powerful scripting facility called Shortcuts which can send a bunch of SMS's one after the other.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts