Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of updating my navigation system so what do people think is the best investment a dedicated GPS or just a decent cell phone.
I'm looking at an iphone SE or a Garmin motorcycle GPS.
So what do you think?

·
Registered
2019 Honda Rebel 500
34 Posts
Waze or Google Maps work great, and having my phone mounted on the handlebar is handy for so many reasons.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Garmin i drive 600 to 700 miles a day garmin is very knowledgeable it will connect to ur phone messages will show up on ur garmin from ur phone wouldn't take nothing to replace my garmin

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I have a Garmin on each of my bikes. just like it that way. I have no interest in having my phone out in the elements, or the very minimal chance it would fall off/out of the holder then most people's life would be on hold while you get a new phone. if the garmin were to fall... m'eh. ;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
GPS everytime.

1. Weather protection better.
2. Mounting brackets stronger.
3. Better screen.
4. Doesn’t need an ISP.
5. Second hand bargains can be had.

😸
Hadn't thought about second hand so thanks for that.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have three different Garmins that I have accumulated over the years as a bicyclist/hiker and a former truck driver. And I have a smart phone where I can use Google Maps. Google Maps is the better navigator and finder of places and addresses, by far. Garmin on my motorcycle is small, weatherproof, and flexible. Garmin in my car is best for long drives, since the speaker is better and the screen is larger, so I often use that in my car, but use Garmin exclusively on my bike. BUT: on my bike I always have my trusty smartphone in a pocket so I can access google Maps in a pinch.

I would use Garmin exclusively except it is woefully inaccurate in finding Points Of Interest, and nearly all searches. I think the Google routing algorithm is a bit better than the Garmin, but either is adequate.

·
Registered
28 Posts
This is a great alternative to a big gadget on your handlebars: beeline.co

My mates got theirs through investing in the Kickstarter. It’s on my shopping list :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have three different Garmins that I have accumulated over the years as a bicyclist/hiker and a former truck driver. And I have a smart phone where I can use Google Maps. Google Maps is the better navigator and finder of places and addresses, by far. Garmin on my motorcycle is small, weatherproof, and flexible. Garmin in my car is best for long drives, since the speaker is better and the screen is larger, so I often use that in my car, but use Garmin exclusively on my bike. BUT: on my bike I always have my trusty smartphone in a pocket so I can access google Maps in a pinch.

I would use Garmin exclusively except it is woefully inaccurate in finding Points Of Interest, and nearly all searches. I think the Google routing algorithm is a bit better than the Garmin, but either is adequate.
Thanks Paul, your experience is a good guide.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Rebel 300 ABS
6 Posts

My mates got theirs through investing in the Kickstarter. It’s on my shopping list :)
Wow. I'm in love. But $200?! Still, it's tempting for the simplicity.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the contributions.
I needed a new phone so went that way for now. I got a cheap mount because it got the best ratings and it's good so far.
The power comes via an Optimate 108 which monitors the battery as well. Bit of a fiddle getting the wires sorted but it's a permanent addition. I also had to buy a cable splitter (not shown) so that I can use the ear phones while it charges. I'm happy for now but still looking at a better quality mount. Phone fix 3.JPG Phone fix 2.JPG Phone fix 1.JPG Phone fix.JPG

·
Registered
1 Posts
Finding the perfect mount for your smartphone in the car can be very difficult, it's like looking for a needle in a haystack. There are many options and it is not clear which is better. There are cheap models of holders, and there are also expensive ones, burdened with additional features that in 90 percent of cases you absolutely do not need. I decided to find a very good option to use in my car. My friend advised me to see this site because there I was able to find the best gadget to use. There is really a lot of information about different holders, but my car is now decorated with Portronics CLAMP X POR-926 Car-Vent Mobile Holder and I am completely satisfied with the site that helped me understand the characteristics.

·
Registered
51 Posts

I have one! It works great for planned rides, where you know where you are going. It still requires your phone to be on and near. And it is so simple that sometimes I wish I had a little more information. Like what the NAME of the street I am turning on, not just an arrow.

Also works well in reckoning mode. Which is basically you just get an arrow pointing to your destination, but it is up to you to choose the roads. It just tells you where your endpoint is from you. Can be fun for exploring a new place, but still ending up at your destination. But frustrating when you don’t know if that road connects through or not and end up doing a lot of back tracking.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I use a GPS on all my recreation vehicles because they are more rugged than phones. Shown on my Rebel is a Garmin Montana 610 mounted in a Garmin AMPS Rugged Mount plugged into a Sealink 12v weatherproof locking plug and receptacle. The receptacle outlet is fused and wired directly to the battery. The Sealink plug/receptacle is compatible with regular cigarette style plugs/receptacles so I can put the bike on a charger/maintainer or plug in a phone charger if needed and the GPS can be moved and plugged to my truck/car.

Most of my rides are 200 miles+ so I like to plot routes out on Garmin Basecamp and upload them to the Montana giving me guidance with turn by turn directions. Post ride I load the actual track file from the ride in Basecamp and take a screenshot and post that picture along with video and/or pictures from my GoPro to share with friends on Facebook and other sites. They enjoy seeing the roads I took. I also have a SPOT Satellite Tracker where friends can follow my rides in near real time on Google Earth.

Example of a Basecamp screenshot from a 293 mile ride I did in MN this Fall.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Finding the perfect mount for your smartphone in the car can be very difficult, it's like looking for a needle in a haystack. There are many options and it is not clear which is better. There are cheap models of holders, and there are also expensive ones, burdened with additional features that in 90 percent of cases you absolutely do not need. I decided to find a very good option to use in my car. My friend advised me to see this site because there I was able to find the best gadget to use. There is really a lot of information about different holders, but my car is now decorated with Portronics CLAMP X POR-926 Car-Vent Mobile Holder and I am completely satisfied with the site that helped me understand the characteristics.
Are you sure you are on the right site? I don't see what your post has to do with a Honda Rebel MOTORBIKE.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts