Honda Rebel 300, 500, & 1100 Forum banner
41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Rebel 300A/2020 CB500F A
578 Posts
It sounds great. I have had no issues.

I think you are a bit confused on one thing. My Rebel 500 has its own catalytic converter built into the manifold. The baffles are coated with the catalyst material, so effectively I have three catalytic converters on my bike. I am assuming that the built-in catalytic converter contains more catalyst material than the baffles do.

I put one in the end of the manifold pipe, and the other in the shorty (as you normally would). I installed the shorty without issue.

I am not sure how it will sound on a Rebel 300. I am guessing two baffles will sound better than one. I rather not have to wear ear plugs. Besides I live my neighbors. I could not ask for better. I rather not wake them in the morning. :D

Been getting ready for a trip, so I have had little time for much. I will be riding to Scottsdale (spending 3 workdays, and 4 days visiting my brother).
Thanks for the response! Yeah, I totally get your situation vs the 300 (missing the cat completely once the stock can is gone). I wanted to know how yours held up with that set up, and I'm glad it's working out for you.

I know you previously mentioned you used the exhaust clamp to keep the second baffle in place, but did you also tighten down the baffle screw in the manifold pipe?

I already got rid of my TBR because I had given my 300 to my wife to learn and use and she wanted the stock can, but she didn't end up using the bike...or learning. The TBR was very loud anyway, but I still wish I had kept it. Ah well. Now that I might be keeping the bike another season, I'm trying to experiment without committing too much money;/ I still don't want the stock can, but losing the stock catalytic converter has proven to be tricky in the past.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It sounds great. I have had no issues.

I think you are a bit confused on one thing. My Rebel 500 has its own catalytic converter built into the manifold. The baffles are coated with the catalyst material, so effectively I have three catalytic converters on my bike. I am assuming that the built-in catalytic converter contains more catalyst material than the baffles do.

I put one in the end of the manifold pipe, and the other in the shorty (as you normally would). I installed the shorty without issue.

I am not sure how it will sound on a Rebel 300. I am guessing two baffles will sound better than one. I rather not have to wear ear plugs. Besides I live my neighbors. I could not ask for better. I rather not wake them in the morning. :D

Been getting ready for a trip, so I have had little time for much. I will be riding to Scottsdale (spending 3 workdays, and 4 days visiting my brother).
Thank you for the info on this! 2018 300 rider here; considering the shorty exhaust with at least 1 baffle (if not 2 for noise dampening). Would a single baffle be enough to pass emissions inspections since the stock exhaust cat will be removed? Just want to make sure I won't be riding too dirty hah. Seems like it just needs a cat, but maybe I'm wrong. Any insight or references are appreciated. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2021 Rebel 500
561 Posts
Thanks for the response! Yeah, I totally get your situation vs the 300 (missing the cat completely once the stock can is gone). I wanted to know how yours held up with that set up, and I'm glad it's working out for you.

I know you previously mentioned you used the exhaust clamp to keep the second baffle in place, but did you also tighten down the baffle screw in the manifold pipe?

I already got rid of my TBR because I had given my 300 to my wife to learn and use and she wanted the stock can, but she didn't end up using the bike...or learning. The TBR was very loud anyway, but I still wish I had kept it. Ah well. Now that I might be keeping the bike another season, I'm trying to experiment without committing too much money;/ I still don't want the stock can, but losing the stock catalytic converter has proven to be tricky in the past.
I used the baffle screw in the first baffle (the one that is located in the "shorty"). I removed the screw from the second baffle that I placed in the end of the manifold, and tapped it in place with my trusty neoprene mallet. I did this because it was too difficult to tighten the screw if the baffle is inserted deep into the "shorty".

·
Registered
2021 Rebel 500
561 Posts
Thank you for the info on this! 2018 300 rider here; considering the shorty exhaust with at least 1 baffle (if not 2 for noise dampening). Would a single baffle be enough to pass emissions inspections since the stock exhaust cat will be removed? Just want to make sure I won't be riding too dirty hah. Seems like it just needs a cat, but maybe I'm wrong. Any insight or references are appreciated. Thanks in advance!
I do not know the answer to that. While it is true that the baffles contain catalyst material, I have no idea if they meet DOT standards. Being that a typical cat converter costs several hundred dollars, and the baffle only costs about $9, it stands to reason that the baffle contains a lot less precious metals.

As for my bike, it is less than a year old, so I have never had it tested. I think it does not get tested until it is five years old. I expect it will pass without issue because the stock cat is in the manifold. The baffles probably help a little.

For me they are there to limit the sound, and to provide the back-pressure that keeps things running like the engineers at Honda planned for.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts