Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Rebel 500
132 Posts

I ordered the shorty baffles on eBay (Same ones Blkjakk ordered). I really like the shorty, because the stock exhaust is very heavy on the left side of the bike, looks terrible, and makes my bike sound like a sewing machine.

During the recording, I was holding my iPhone about a meter away from the exhaust. I figure that will give you an idea how it sounds to a car next to you. Sure it is somewhat louder from behind, but the difference is not as much as you might think. It also sounds louder when I am sitting on the bike.

Excuse the weeds in the background. I wanted to make the video it as far from any noise sources as I could. It was not easy because I work right next to the Airport, so helicopters are flying overhead all day. I also did not want to do this at home because I did not want to bother the neighbors. I found a somewhat dis-used area behind Target on Kingston Ave that was largely free of background noise. Maybe later I will get out of town a bit, and ask my wife to hold the camera while I ride by.

What will I do with the old exhaust? It only has about 30 miles on it, and it has no scratches. What can I sell it for? Is it worth $60 shipped?

·
Registered
2021 Rebel 500
132 Posts
Lol yeah it’ll be interesting to hear. I only bought the 1 cat/baffle so if it’s good weather this weekend I’m probably going to have time to install it. I’ve had to choose ride or install and I’ve chosen ride for the past couple of weekends (dodging rain)!
I am looking forward to your post. I would like to know how it sounds on a 300. I just want to satisfy my curiosity.

·
Registered
2019 Rebel 300A/2020 CB500F A
450 Posts

I ordered the shorty baffles on eBay (Same ones Blkjakk ordered). I really like the shorty, because the stock exhaust is very heavy on the left side of the bike, looks terrible, and sound like a sewing machine.

During the recording, I was holding my iPhone about a meter away from the exhaust. I figure that will give you an idea how it sounds to a car next to you. Sure it is somewhat louder from behind, but the difference is not as much as you might think. It also sounds louder when I am sitting on the bike.

Excuse the weeds in the background. I wanted to try it as far from any noise sources as I could. It was not easy because I work right next to the Airport, so helicopters are flying overhead all day. I also did not want to do this at home because I did not want to bother the neighbors. I found a somewhat disused area (far end of the loading area) behind Target on Kingston Ave that was free of background noise. Maybe later I will get out of town a bit, and ask my wife to hold the camera while I ride by.

What will I do with the old exhaust? It only has about 30 miles on it, and it has no scratches. What can I sell it for? Is it worth $60 shipped?
Sounds really deep, nice (y)

·
Registered
2019 Honda Rebel 300
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Sounds really deep, nice (y)
Sounds really good. I painted my cat/baffle & the inside of the exhaust with engine paint. Will lose the screw and get the baffle tack welded (hopefully before install, if not then afterwards) & install the shorty gp this weekend. 👏🏻

·
Registered
2019 Honda Rebel 300
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I am looking forward to your post. I would like to know how it sounds on a 300. I just want to satisfy my curiosity.
Well here’s the video. The video made it sound far better than it did in real life. I took it off & put the stock muffler back on because it sounded like ass-high popping ass-either it needs another baffle or it’s going on Craigslist!
Here’s the video. It sounded better in the video than it did in reality. I don’t like it’s high pitched popcorn-on-steroids sound. Maybe another baffle would help?!

·
Registered
2019 Rebel 300A/2020 CB500F A
450 Posts
Well here’s the video. The video made it sound far better than it did in real life. I took it off & put the stock muffler back on because it sounded like ass-high popping ass-either it needs another baffle or it’s going on Craigslist!

Here’s the video. It sounded better in the video than it did in reality. I don’t like it’s high pitched popcorn-on-steroids sound. Maybe another baffle would help?!
Thanks for the video. I had a feeling it was going to go that way with the 300. After a while, even the wildly overpriced (but high quality) TBR started sounding like an angry mosquito. It did have a much deeper rumble than the shorty, but extremely obnoxious.

Might as well run it straight pipe with no baffle...see if you like that better.

·
Registered
2021 Rebel 500
132 Posts
Blkjakk.......

The catalyst is in the muffler on the 300, so that might be your problem. I think the second baffle will help. It did in my case.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Rebel 300
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Blkjakk.......

The catalyst is in the muffler on the 300, so that might be your problem. I think the second baffle will help. It did in my case.
Possibly could help. Upload a video of how yours sounds so we can compare the two. That would be interesting. (y)

·
Registered
2019 Honda Rebel 300
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
My video (with two baffles) was posted earlier in the thread. I never made a video from before I put both baffles in.
I saw that one. I guess because of your prole bike listed as a 300 I figured you may have installed the shorty with 2 baffles on that bike.

·
Registered
2021 Rebel 500
132 Posts
I saw that one. I guess because of your prole bike listed as a 300 I figured you may have installed the shorty with 2 baffles on that bike.
I am a little confused. I have a 500. I am 1.9m and weigh 102kG (6' 3", and 224lbs). My wife weighs in at about 120. She could do fine on a 300. : )

·
Registered
2019 Honda Rebel 300
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I am a little confused. I have a 500. I am 1.9m and weigh 102kG (6' 3", and 224lbs). My wife weighs in at about 120. She could do fine on a 300. : )
Woops I was looking at SC48’s bike. 🤭

·
Registered
2019 Honda Rebel 300
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Okey Dokey.... I listened to your video, then went back and listened to mine again. Mine has a much lower pitch, and more "thoughty" sound.
Oh yeah your’s sure does. The 300’s thumper sound is like a high pitched popcorn sound with the Shorty & 1 baffle. Your 500 sounds really good with the Shorty & 2 baffles. 👍🏻

·
Registered
2021 Rebel 500
132 Posts
The 300’s thumper sound is like a high pitched popcorn sound with the Shorty & 1 baffle.
So do you plan to try two baffles? I suppose you can fit in three if you put one in the end of the header pipe, and two in the "shorty". Maybe there will be enough catalyst that you can pass emissions if your state ever mandates it for motorcycles.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Rebel 300
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
So do you plan to try two baffles? I suppose you can fit in three if you put one in the end of the header pipe, and two in the "shorty". Maybe there will be enough catalyst that you can pass emissions if your state ever mandates it for motorcycles.
I’ll try 2 but it it required 3 I would stick it on Craigslist 🤪

21 - 37 of 37 Posts