Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Honda Rebel 300
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who want a closer look at both, here you go. Will be installing this weekend, without the cat/
baffle first and if that’s too loud then will have someone tack weld the cat/baffle in.

·
Registered
2019 Rebel 300A/2020 CB500F A
450 Posts
Will taking the cat out not affect back pressure?
Nope. It won't affect anything. You can run the bike straight pipe if you want. Intake changes are much more significant than exhaust changes and you likely won't notice a difference.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Nope. It won't affect anything. You can run the bike straight pipe if you want. Intake changes are much more significant than exhaust changes and you likely won't notice a difference.
Oh you'll notice a difference...just listen to some of the videos people are posting. You'll now get a cheap popping sound on deceleration and an obnoxious rise in noise on acceleration that your neighbors/community will love. And to top it off the mfg has this warning: Due to different state regulations and emissions, this item is for off-road use only. Use at your own risk

Reactions: SC48

·
Registered
2019 Honda Rebel 300
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh you'll notice a difference...just listen to some of the videos people are posting. You'll now get a cheap popping sound on deceleration and an obnoxious rise in noise on acceleration that your neighbors/community will love. And to top it off the mfg has this warning: Due to different state regulations and emissions, this item is for off-road use only. Use at your own risk
Each state has different laws. It’s up to the individual to research their state’s muffler laws. Here in TN they’re much more lax about muffler noise. If they tightened the reins then 95% of Harleys in TN would be for off road use only due to loud & excessive noise!

·
Registered
450 Posts
I mean yes....you will notice THAT, sure. I think to each their own on this one though, and depends on where you live and different tolerances for these shenanigans.

·
Registered
2021 Rebel 500
132 Posts
I started with no baffle in my shorty. I was hearing the "popping" sound on deceleration. It was also too loud for me. I installed one baffle. It helped. I installed a second. I am happy with it now. It makes a nice gurgle sound on deceleration, like "BIG" bikes do.

My neighbor said she never noticed. But that makes sense. There are a lot of motorcycles on our street. Right across the street, Jim rides an Indian.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I started with no baffle in my shorty. I was hearing the "popping" sound on deceleration. It was also too loud for me. I installed one baffle. It helped. I installed a second. I am happy with it now. It makes a nice gurgle sound on deceleration, like "BIG" bikes do.

My neighbor said she never noticed. But that makes sense. There are a lot of motorcycles on our street. Right across the street, Jim rides an Indian.
you installed 2 battles inside the shorty exhaust? Would you mind explaining how this is done? I want more sound than the stock pipe I have but less than the Vance and Hines.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Rebel 300
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
you installed 2 battles inside the shorty exhaust? Would you mind explaining how this is done? I want more sound than the stock pipe I have but less than the Vance and Hines.
The baffles that you can buy for the Shorty exhaust are extremely short so it is quite easy to fit two of these inside the Shorty

·
Registered
2021 Rebel 500
132 Posts
you installed 2 battles inside the shorty exhaust? Would you mind explaining how this is done?
See what Blkjakk said about the baffles. They are very small and very inexpensive. Also see her photo at the start of this thread. You can see mine if you look at my "gremlin bell" thread at: Your "gremlin bell"? | Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum (hondarebel3forum.com)

As you can see, I put one in the end like Blkjakk. I then attempted to put the second one in from the other end of the shorty. Unless you have very small fingers and a very narrow pair of needle plyers, it might prove tricky to put the second one into the shorty itself. Sadly my hands are large, and not very agile.

I placed the second in the end of the header. It fit snugly. I gently tapped it in with a hammer. The clamp that hold the shorty on the end of the header secured it in place.

My wife describes the sound as "booo booo booo". There are no more "pops".

I only wish I had a chrome or black header extender with about a 33 degree bend in it so that the exhaust is sent directly behind me so that I am not inhaling it while sitting at a red light.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Evidently I cannot upload a .mov file. I will have to get creative. I am not a "cloud" user, so I will have to ponder the best approach.
Just upload to YouTube and share the link :)

·
Registered
2019 Honda Rebel 300
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just upload to YouTube and share the link :)
There’s already videos of the shorty GP exhaust on the Rebel 300, 500 & even the 1100 already on YouTube if you wanna check em out. I put my Sonic Blast car horn on my Rebel 300 video on my YT channel when I installed it. It’s loud as hell & dogs hate it. 👍🏻

·
Registered
450 Posts
There’s already videos of the shorty GP exhaust on the Rebel 300, 500 & even the 1100 already on YouTube if you wanna check em out. I put my Sonic Blast car horn on my Rebel 300 video on my YT channel when I installed it. It’s loud as hell & dogs hate it. 👍🏻
For sure, yeah. I mean, I also had a TBR on my (now the wife's) 300 for a long time; I know it's extremely loud. I was just interested to hear how the baffles (supposed catalyst inserts) affect the loudness, especially if you double up. Saw your video - you're not kidding!

·
Registered
2019 Honda Rebel 300
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
For sure, yeah. I mean, I also had a TBR on my (now the wife's) 300 for a long time; I know it's extremely loud. I was just interested to hear how the baffles (supposed catalyst inserts) affect the loudness, especially if you double up. Saw your video - you're not kidding!
Lol yeah it’ll be interesting to hear. I only bought the 1 cat/baffle so if it’s good weather this weekend I’m probably going to have time to install it. I’ve had to choose ride or install and I’ve chosen ride for the past couple of weekends (dodging rain)!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts