Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At 4111 miles my rear was trashed, so i've had fitted a pair of Michelin Commander 2's. All i can say is, wow, what a difference. Its like night and day compared the the original dunlop tyres. Everything about the tyres is better, the grip, the confidence and they are also better over the loose stuff. Not had chance for a proper wet test yet though. And these tyres should last around 15 to 20k miles too!

·
Registered
182 Posts
At 4111 miles my rear was trashed, so i've had fitted a pair of Michelin Commander 2's. All i can say is, wow, what a difference. Its like night and day compared the the original dunlop tyres. Everything about the tyres is better, the grip, the confidence and they are also better over the loose stuff. Not had chance for a proper wet test yet though. And these tyres should last around 15 to 20k miles too!
have some photos?

·
Registered
814 Posts
They're a handsome enough tyre to be fair. But the performance over the dunlops is unbelievable. They're not fully scrubbed in yet and still miles better than the dunlops ever were!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Nice to hear there is a good alternative out there. Did you get them in the exact same size as the originals? The dunlops are actually pretty poor tires if your read around online. When I change I will probably go with eaither Michelin or Perelli.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice to hear there is a good alternative out there. Did you get them in the exact same size as the originals? The dunlops are actually pretty poor tires if your read around online. When I change I will probably go with eaither Michelin or Perelli.
Yeah, exact same sizes.Michelin do the Scorcher tyre to fit too. I believe it give better wet traction, but at a cost of some longevity.

·
Registered
145 Posts
@Cuthbert,

Thanks for the solid review! You just helped me make my decision. Getting one of these installed for my rear this weekend. The front tire still looks brand new so I'm going to keep the Dunlop on the front till it wears out. My dealer matched a price I found online that saves me about $30 bucks which makes up for the install & balance.

I read a lot of reviews online and was trying decide between a few different tires. The feedback I see on this forum carries a lot more weight than what I might see on Amazon reviews.

-CG

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@Cuthbert,

Thanks for the solid review! You just helped me make my decision. Getting one of these installed for my rear this weekend. The front tire still looks brand new so I'm going to keep the Dunlop on the front till it wears out. My dealer matched a price I found online that saves me about $30 bucks which makes up for the install & balance.

I read a lot of reviews online and was trying decide between a few different tires. The feedback I see on this forum carries a lot more weight than what I might see on Amazon reviews.

-CG
No worries, my front still had 3mm on it when i changed it, i was gonna leave it on but was advised against it, and very glad i am too.
If you can spare the cash you'll be surprised at the extra front end control you will gain by changing it.

·
Registered
182 Posts
No worries, my front still had 3mm on it when i changed it, i was gonna leave it on but was advised against it, and very glad i am too.
If you can spare the cash you'll be surprised at the extra front end control you will gain by changing it.
how much was the cost? roughly of course.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@Cuthbert,

-CG
Make sure you remember to take it easy till the tyre is scrubbed in

·
Registered
691 Posts
On your recommendation I went ahead and had the shop install the Commander 2's. Just picked the bike up about an hour ago and will get them on the road tomorrow.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
On your recommendation I went ahead and had the shop install the Commander 2's. Just picked the bike up about an hour ago and will get them on the road tomorrow.
Nice. You'll not be disappointed, they'll be slightly loose till they're scrubbed in (like all tyres), but then you're in for a new level of comfort and control. I really don't know why so many manufacturers spec the dunlops on new machines!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just got my 2018 2 days ago. The tires are kind of, idk, not very good, nor very good looking. The new commanders look great!
I was never happy with the way dunlops handled. But because i've returned to biking from a 23 year hiatus i presumed that it was either something to do with the "modern" tyres or that the suspension on the bike was lacking. I do wish i'd swapped my tyres out much earlier

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'll be interested to hear your review of the tyres once you got some miles on them. I've done just over 250 miles on mine now, some of which were through a massive thunderstorm and my confidence on the bike is still going up exponentially.

·
Registered
145 Posts
@Cuthbert,

Got my Commander 2 installed this morning and you were right, It's a very nice upgrade! This is my first motorcycle, so I really didn't have anything to compare the handling of the stock tires. It could be in my head but the ride feels a whole lot smoother. I also tightened up the rear shocks the other day, so I think between that and the new tire it really makes a difference for me.

On a funny note - the tech told me to take it easy for the first 50-75 miles until the new tire is broken in. He warned me the tire would be a bit slippery. As I was going to pull out of the parking lot, I gave the bike a little throttle and spun the back tire! Did my first burnout completely by accident.

I'm looking forward to putting a lot of miles down this summer.

-CG

·
Registered
691 Posts
The reason the manufacturers choose a particular tire is all about economics. The commanders are about half the price of the Dunlop 404’s.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
@Cuthbert,

Got my Commander 2 installed this morning and you were right, It's a very nice upgrade! This is my first motorcycle, so I really didn't have anything to compare the handling of the stock tires. It could be in my head but the ride feels a whole lot smoother. I also tightened up the rear shocks the other day, so I think between that and the new tire it really makes a difference for me.

On a funny note - the tech told me to take it easy for the first 50-75 miles until the new tire is broken in. He warned me the tire would be a bit slippery. As I was going to pull out of the parking lot, I gave the bike a little throttle and spun the back tire! Did my first burnout completely by accident.

I'm looking forward to putting a lot of miles down this summer.

-CG
Nice, i'm glad you like them. Just go steady on the corners till they are scrubbed in. There is a layer of releasing compound on the new tyre, it's used during the manufacture process to allow the tyre to be released easily from the moulding. And is really slippery when wet too. but in 50 to 100 miles it will be gone.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts