Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I will be purchasing a Rebel hopefully soon as my first bike. There is a new 2019 Rebel 500 non ABS $5800 OTD delivered to my driveway I can purchase at my local store. However being a new rider is it worth holding out for the 2020 Rebel 500 with ABS and the 2020 upgrades over the 2019? Would like to get some opinions on if $5800 is a good price on the 2019 non ABS and if I should wait and get ABS on the 2020 for the safety advantage of ABS and the upgrades on a 2020. Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm a brand new rider myself and just got a 2020 Rebel 500 ABS two months ago. Without a doubt as a new rider I would say go with the ABS and upgrades on a 2020. Think about it. In the long run what are you going to be happier (and safer) with? ABS, gear indicator on the dash, better suspension, etc...or a little bit of extra cash in your pocket? For me the gear indicator alone was worth it. Granted you could install an aftermarket one on the 2019...but why bother if it comes on a 2020?

·
Registered
825 Posts
If it is truly OTD for $5800, that's a really good price. I bought the same bike a few months ago and it was over a thousand dollars more. You have to decide how much more the 2020 is worth to you. For me it wasn't worth it. The 2020 had things that I don't care for or about.

Reactions: Odin and Newrider

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have a 2018 ABS and was my first bike too. No doubt the 2020 features are great and improvement for sure, but not a total dealbreaker saving the cash. But I think the ABS is the real thing here and because you're already thinking it will make you more confident as a new rider, just spend the money and get the ABS and you'll have no regrets and probably be a bit more confident on the road.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm a brand new rider myself and just got a 2020 Rebel 500 ABS two months ago. Without a doubt as a new rider I would say go with the ABS and upgrades on a 2020. Think about it. In the long run what are you going to be happier (and safer) with? ABS, gear indicator on the dash, better suspension, etc...or a little bit of extra cash in your pocket? For me the gear indicator alone was worth it. Granted you could install an aftermarket one on the 2019...but why bother if it comes on a 2020?
Thanks for your response. I am leaning towards waiting it out till a 2020 ABS model arrives. Added safety is prob more value than getting a good deal now and the gear indicator will be nice as I begin riding. My local dealer won’t have a 2020 till Dec so I guess in the meantime I could purchase my cold weather gear to prepare.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Thanks for your response. I am leaning towards waiting it out till a 2020 ABS model arrives. Added safety is prob more value than getting a good deal now and the gear indicator will be nice as I begin riding. My local dealer won’t have a 2020 till Dec so I guess in the meantime I could purchase my cold weather gear to prepare.
Not likely you're going to get a 2020 if they don't already have one in stock. You might have to wait for the 2021.

Reactions: Newrider

·
Registered
2019 Rebel 500
57 Posts
I wouldn't let ABS be the deal breaker. I equate that to refusing to board a plane without a parachute. No arguing that ABS is statistically safer, but there are so many other factors that almost always go into that equation that can easily be avoided long before you need to rely on the ABS parachute.

However, I do like some of the other upgrades that came long on the 2020 like the LED lights. Those would be worth the wait in my opinion as it really helped to bring the Rebel up to modern standards and the price point.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wouldn't let ABS be the deal breaker. I equate that to refusing to board a plane without a parachute. No arguing that ABS is statistically safer, but there are so many other factors that almost always go into that equation that can easily be avoided long before you need to rely on the ABS parachute.

However, I do like some of the other upgrades that came long on the 2020 like the LED lights. Those would be worth the wait in my opinion as it really helped to bring the Rebel up to modern standards and the price point.
Thanks for the comparison never thought of the ABS as a parachute lol. I keep thinking worst case if I lock the brakes up the ABS will come in handy. Guess if I drive smart I shouldn’t be put in that predicament often.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I had a bike with abs and triggered it no more than a couple of times in four years, and it was not a critical need at the time. I believe abs gives you longer stopping distances too which is not exactly helpful (someone help me out here if I am wrong!)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Am I the only one who wished I hadn't bought a '20? The "improved" seat was a nightmare after 15 minutes (now a Mustang), the LED headlight has terrible output (compared to my previous bikes), and the "improved" suspension shatters my spine over the smallest of road imperfections (regardless of preload adjustment). I've been riding my big bike to save my spine the trauma (negating my purchase of the Rebel as my commuter bike).

I can't weigh in on the ABS/non-ABS discussion (don't have it, don't need it), but if you can get a really good deal on a '19, most of the other "improvements" can be addressed by the aftermarket (including the gear indicator).

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I'm not sure i can offer anything that the others above haven't said. I have a '17 NON-abs, and never had an issue. in fact in riding since 1990 I've only had one bike WITH Abs, and that's my KTM Duke-came standard, I didn't choose it. Mostly due to rider training/practice etc..i've never locked up the brakes on any bike yet. now of course it COULD happen, but hasn't too me, so ABS is a non-issue. the 20 "upgrades" are not significant to me. best is probably LEDs if that matters to you, seat is still crap from all accounts, you'll probably want to replace it. suspension I doubt they really changed, if so very minor is my guess. Just buy the bike you want, for the $$ you wish to spend.
also as @longbeachgary said, dealers will be getting '21 models by the end of the year, at this point if they don't have a '20 it's likely they won't get it.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Rebel 300
31 Posts
Hello I will be purchasing a Rebel hopefully soon as my first bike. There is a new 2019 Rebel 500 non ABS $5800 OTD delivered to my driveway I can purchase at my local store. However being a new rider is it worth holding out for the 2020 Rebel 500 with ABS and the 2020 upgrades over the 2019? Would like to get some opinions on if $5800 is a good price on the 2019 non ABS and if I should wait and get ABS on the 2020 for the safety advantage of ABS and the upgrades on a 2020. Thanks
I’ve been riding since 1978. I’ve ridden in all kinds of weather on big bikes, medium sized bikes & small bikes. Right now I own a 2019 Rebel 300 that I bought new in August. Rather that spend extra $$ on ABS, spend it on advanced motorcycling techniques. It’s gonna do a LOT more than ABS The suspension is great on the 2019 bikes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm not sure i can offer anything that the others above haven't said. I have a '17 NON-abs, and never had an issue. in fact in riding since 1990 I've only had one bike WITH Abs, and that's my KTM Duke-came standard, I didn't choose it. Mostly due to rider training/practice etc..i've never locked up the brakes on any bike yet. now of course it COULD happen, but hasn't too me, so ABS is a non-issue. the 20 "upgrades" are not significant to me. best is probably LEDs if that matters to you, seat is still crap from all accounts, you'll probably want to replace it. suspension I doubt they really changed, if so very minor is my guess. Just buy the bike you want, for the $$ you wish to spend.
also as @longbeachgary said, dealers will be getting '21 models by the end of the year, at this point if they don't have a '20 it's likely they won't get it.
Thanks for your point of view and experiences with ABS. Come to find out the 2020 my dealer will be getting is a non ABS model, they said good chance they will not be getting a ABS model till spring time. Hard for me to justify waiting 4-5 months when I want to ride now before winter shows up. I’m in Kentucky and can’t find anything nearby (150 miles) with ABS on it. Not a lot of stock I probably will jump on the 2019 before I have no options.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for your point of view and experiences with ABS. Come to find out the 2020 my dealer will be getting is a non ABS model, they said good chance they will not be getting a ABS model till spring time. Hard for me to justify waiting 4-5 months when I want to ride now before winter shows up. I’m in Kentucky and can’t find anything nearby (150 miles) with ABS on it. Not a lot of stock I probably will jump on the 2019 before I have no options.
I think we ALL would agree that getting a 2019 Rebel 500 non ABS for $5800 OTD now is way better than having to wait 4-5 months with no bike!

·
Registered
120 Posts
I picked up my '19 this year for $6200 out the door including taxes. That is a good deal i would take it. Mine is also the non abs version and I am ok with that I just did a lot of emergency braking practice.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Honda Rebel 500
60 Posts
If you can get your hands on a 2020...definitely go for it. From what I hear its slim pickings. I barely got my hands on the one I have.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts