Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I was working on the exhaust, needed to gather my thoughts and decided to mount the rear rack and box which arrived a few days back.

Givi SR1160 rear rack

Givi E340N 34 liter rear box

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just ordered Givi backrest/luggage rack yesterday for my 2019 Rebel 500. Talked directly to the Givi location in Nevada. Guess there’s only two warehouses in US. This after trying to buy a little cheaper, several times, from “Whoknowswhereistan”!
I had the absolute best experience in dealing with a “company” in months if not years!
So refreshing so actually TALK to a person vs ..........you know! And, I understood his every word; even with the Nevada accent! ?????
I would highly recommend exploring their products for racks and luggage!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
While I was working on the exhaust, needed to gather my thoughts and decided to mount the rear rack and box which arrived a few days back.

Givi SR1160 rear rack

Givi E340N 34 liter rear box

Hi I have just fitted this rack to my 2020 Rebel, I have the universal fitting plate for the box, but I can’t see how to fit it properly.
Is it possible you could show a photo of where you have put the mounts, as mine dont seem to line up that well, also the bolts don’t seem to be long enough to pass right through nut.
Sorry if I am being stupid🙄
Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi I have just fitted this rack to my 2020 Rebel, I have the universal fitting plate for the box, but I can’t see how to fit it properly.
Is it possible you could show a photo of where you have put the mounts, as mine dont seem to line up that well, also the bolts don’t seem to be long enough to pass right through nut.
Sorry if I am being stupid🙄
Thanks
Hey! You’re not being stupid. I just did this a few weeks ago, and had the exact same struggles at first.

Like you’ve noticed, the dips in the mounting brackets don’t perfectly “hug” the rack rails and there’s not a ton of thread for the nuts to grab on to.

The way I did it was by centering the smaller dip on each mounting bracket on the inner 2 rails, and then letting the opposite ends simply rest on the outer 2 rails.

I then put the bolt through the little square metal piece, universal plate, and mounting bracket, and screwed the nut on by hand just enough so it didn’t fall off. It took me a lot of finagling because there’s only a little bit of thread to work with, and the mounting bracket likes to move all over the place until the nut is screwed on. Be patient, though, and keep trying because it will come together.

Once everything is on hand tight, use a hex key to hold the bolt from the top while using a wrench to slowly tighten the nuts underneath. I say slowly because things might shift around a little so you want to be able to recenter everything as necessary. Again, be patient as it will all come together.

After that, install the cover on the universal plate using the 2 tiny screws and you’re done! I will say, though, that I had to remove the rubber bumpers from the corners of the universal plate for my Givi Monolock E300NT2 top case to actually click into place.

Hopefully that all made sense, but feel free to ask questions if you need any more help.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hey! You’re not being stupid. I just did this a few weeks ago, and had the exact same struggles at first.

Like you’ve noticed, the dips in the mounting brackets don’t perfectly “hug” the rack rails and there’s not a ton of thread for the nuts to grab on to.

The way I did it was by centering the smaller dip on each mounting bracket on the inner 2 rails, and then letting the opposite ends simply rest on the outer 2 rails.

View attachment 32978

I then put the bolt through the little square metal piece, universal plate, and mounting bracket, and screwed the nut on by hand just enough so it didn’t fall off. It took me a lot of finagling because there’s only a little bit of thread to work with, and the mounting bracket likes to move all over the place until the nut is screwed on. Be patient, though, and keep trying because it will come together.

Once everything is on hand tight, use a hex key to hold the bolt from the top while using a wrench to slowly tighten the nuts underneath. I say slowly because things might shift around a little so you want to be able to recenter everything as necessary. Again, be patient as it will all come together.

After that, install the cover on the universal plate using the 2 tiny screws and you’re done! I will say, though, that I had to remove the rubber bumpers from the corners of the universal plate for my Givi Monolock E300NT2 top case to actually click into place.

Hopefully that all made sense, but feel free to ask questions if you need any more help.
Thanks for posting that I have the same rack and was wondering on how to mount that when I get it. Thanks again.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for posting that I have the same rack and was wondering on how to mount that when I get it. Thanks again.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
No problem! Glad I could help some other folks out. The Givi instructions definitely leave a little to be desired.

·
Registered
4 Posts

View attachment 32978

Thank you very much for this information. I now have mine the same as yours, but I purchased some slightly longer stainless steel bolts for the rear two connectors because it was so frustrating to get the rear ones to start attaching to the nuts. I found that the box does fit tightly against the rubber bumpers but after putting it on and off a few times it is now fitting well.
Thanks for all your help and photo - much appreciated.
I now have some pannier mounts to attach to the bike/carrier, so that is going to be fun too! I had a lot of problems with rack attachment and ended up taking it to bike shop to fit and it looks like they have fitted 2 of the bolt holes with larger bolts, so I expect they have had lots problems too. I may get them to do pannier racks too. Do t really understand why fitting a few bolts is so difficult in this lovely bike.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thank you very much for this information. I now have mine the same as yours, but I purchased some slightly longer stainless steel bolts for the rear two connectors because it was so frustrating to get the rear ones to start attaching to the nuts. I found that the box does fit tightly against the rubber bumpers but after putting it on and off a few times it is now fitting well.
Thanks for all your help and photo - much appreciated.
I now have some pannier mounts to attach to the bike/carrier, so that is going to be fun too! I had a lot of problems with rack attachment and ended up taking it to bike shop to fit and it looks like they have fitted 2 of the bolt holes with larger bolts, so I expect they have had lots problems too. I may get them to do pannier racks too. Do t really understand why fitting a few bolts is so difficult in this lovely bike.
Glad to hear it worked out!

I had a bunch of problems attaching the rack too. The 2 bolts on each side of the rear fender were very difficult to get off, and I had a shop help me out as well. Then, when trying to install the rack, I noticed the holes on the left side of the fender no longer lined up with the holes on the inner frame, meaning you couldn’t fit any bolts on that side. Frustrated, I got a shop to help me out again but it seems like they had trouble too because the rack ended up skewing slightly to the left after being installed. Thankfully, I was able to make up for it somewhat with the positioning of the universal plate + top case.

Here’s how it turned out:

Hope your pannier mounts end up being less problematic than you anticipate!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great it worked out for you, looks good(y)

·
Registered
181 Posts
That's pretty much what I did with the brackets, a little of this and a little of that!
Advantage with the curvy Givi cases is if it isn't lined up perfectly straight ( mine is not ) you really can't tell.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts