Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had purchased off of eBay a gear shift indicator (Plug-n-play)

I had also found a machine aluminum gear shift indicator mount for 1 Inch handlebars so bought it.

Went to mount it today and come to find out the gear shift indicator is too large for the handlebar mount...darn it......

Plus the cord on the indicator comes out the back not off the end---so my question to you all is.....

How would be the best way be to mount this? I don't see using double-sided tape would work...or cable ties.

Surely there has got to be a nicer easy way to mount this darn thing.

Sadly--I bought these back in the fall and sat all winter long so don't I can return them for a refund. I really want to make the indicator work though.

Thank you all in advance! :smile2:

·
Registered
1,328 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
I have one ready to fit and I intend to use Blacktack, fixing it to the side of the display. I shall report in on whether this works.

·
Super Moderator
959 Posts
I had purchased off of eBay a gear shift indicator (Plug-n-play)

I had also found a machine aluminum gear shift indicator mount for 1 Inch handlebars so bought it.

Went to mount it today and come to find out the gear shift indicator is too large for the handlebar mount...darn it......

Plus the cord on the indicator comes out the back not off the end---so my question to you all is.....

How would be the best way be to mount this? I don't see using double-sided tape would work...or cable ties.

Surely there has got to be a nicer easy way to mount this darn thing.

Sadly--I bought these back in the fall and sat all winter long so don't I can return them for a refund. I really want to make the indicator work though.

Thank you all in advance! :smile2:

As requested; this is my alternative.
There are other ideas on this thread too.

https://www.hondarebel3forum.com/forum/601-what-did-you-do-your-2017-honda-rebel-today/3209-gear-shift-indicator-5.html

·
Registered
17 Posts
I bought the gear shift indicator mount which was too small. Mine was from Amazon. I used a rotary tool (Dremel) to shave off the aluminum enough for it to fit. Works great after that and takes no time at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
789 Posts
I don't see using double-sided tape would work...or cable ties.
double sided tape worked great for me, provided you by the right/strong stuff. i used 3M Red and it's held for a year now, no issues. Put one piece on the back where it touches the bar, and a piece on the left side where it touches the speedo.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What size hole did you drill?

Hi Kenny:

Just out of curiosity what size hole did you drill through this mount towards the loop area? I take it then you fed the wire through that hole, but if you did did the connectors fit through the hole okay? Mine has 3 wires with metal tips which will plug into the modular plug. I am not sure they will fit through the hole okay unless I am envisioning this wrong. Thank you again! :smile2:

·
Registered
62 Posts
I also used double sided tape to mount mine. Have had it for over a year and no issues thus far.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Hi Kenny:

Just out of curiosity what size hole did you drill through this mount towards the loop area? I take it then you fed the wire through that hole, but if you did did the connectors fit through the hole okay? Mine has 3 wires with metal tips which will plug into the modular plug. I am not sure they will fit through the hole okay unless I am envisioning this wrong. Thank you again! :smile2:
Elem,

I drilled some test holes in a test piece to make sure the wire connectors would pass through without difficulty.
IIRC the hole is 1/4" or slightly bigger, I did use a drill press to bore the hole and checked again to make sure the connectors and wires would pass through the hole before taking it out of the vice.

I did screw up and had it assembled the first time with the numbers upside down and had to remove the individual connectors from the big connector that plugs into the bike to turn the gauge back to right side up. I noticed that the indicators sold on Amazon have the word "GEAR" engraved so that you can tell when the correct side is up.

Kenny G

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The easiest but more $$$ option is a mount specifically for the GIPRO gear indicator (if yours is a GIPRO).
https://www.healtech-electronics.com/products/gpm/
No, sadly I bought mine off of eBay and the cord comes out of the back in the middle not off the edge. That too presents issues. There is a blue dot on it that they say is reference the correct orientation of the indicator.

I like this mount but sadly do not think it would work with the one I bought.

I had bought a handlebar mount off eBay that is black and aircraft aluminum, got only to find out it is too small for the indicator housing that I have with my indicator. Kind of frustrated for sure. Will get it figured out especially with all the great help here.

Thanks! :smile2:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks again Kenny! I just got my mount yesterday and my gear shift indicator cord and connectors fit through the existing hole just fine so even though it seems bulky, it should mount well and work extremely well too. At least I won't need to drill any more holes other then the one that is in it already. Thank you again for the information! I will probably glue the indicator to the mount I think. :smile2:

·
Registered
19 Posts
I wanted the indicator right at the same height as my main screen, so i 3D printed a bracket to clip on the handle bars and brace the indicator from below. my first attempt got me measurements before making the final one in a nice black material. i have the .stl files if anyone wants them.

Attachments

·
Registered
209 Posts
Put a gear indicator on the Rebel yesterday, works good, but the blue is a bit difficult to see in bright sunlight.
I would recommend green, it would probably be better in bright sunlight.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I have one ready to fit and I intend to use Blacktack, fixing it to the side of the display. I shall report in on whether this works.
Now fitted. I used Black Tack to fix the gear display against the main display. Have to wait and see if that is ok. Now for setting it up.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I have now set mine up while riding.. The black tack shows no sign of lifting so I think it will be OK. I am very pleased with it.
I used a 3M Product called "Mounting Tape" Which Is kind of a foam that is sticky both sides and my indicator has been on for a 1 1/2 years and it does not move around.

Kenny G

·
Super Moderator
959 Posts
Put a gear indicator on the Rebel yesterday, works good, but the blue is a bit difficult to see in bright sunlight.
I would recommend green, it would probably be better in bright sunlight.
I agree about the green apparently being more visible, but I’ve got a blue one & never had any difficulty seeing it in any light conditions. maybe adjust your angle slightly.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I used a 3M Product called "Mounting Tape" Which Is kind of a foam that is sticky both sides and my indicator has been on for a 1 1/2 years and it does not move around.

Kenny G
I used the same stuff kenny, and mine hasn't moved at all in a year. at least i think that's what it's called. lol it's a grey double sided tape with red peel-offs.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts