Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
i am looking for a gear chart. I mean a chart with the gears 1-6 and the speed in kmh or mph in one axis and the engine speed in rpm in the other axis. Does anyone know a torque chart?
I found the shifting thread, but that is not my question. I guess what rpm the engine takes in the 5th and 6th gear at 100 kmh and at maxium speed.

I found nothing in the net............

One may ride yestraday I think I could use a 7th gear:wink2:

Greetings from Hamburg

For example............

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the answers,
I think the cycleworld link ist the tourqe chart, it is usefull for me.
I looking farther for a gear Chart.

greetings form Hamburg

·
Registered
102 Posts
I shift into 7th gear all the time, just never seems to engage. :frown2: My car has a 6 speed manual, it doesn't seem to need a taller gear like the Rebel does. Apologies for going off topic.

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
I shift into 7th gear all the time, just never seems to engage. :frown2: My car has a 6 speed manual, it doesn't seem to need a taller gear like the Rebel does. Apologies for going off topic.
This is actually a common "mistake" people make. Thinking that the gear box on the bike is equivalent to the gear box of a car. And it's not wrong, technically, but have you ever thought about the difference in the rpms between a car and a bike?
A bike will always be driving with a higher rpm for it's gears than a car will.
I was doing the same thing when driving with my instructor, to get the license for bikes, and he told me to ignore what I knew about gearing in terms of car riding, as it's perfectly normal for bikes to ride it's gear at a higher rpm.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I Think so too. The engines of cars do turn slower rpms then the engines of motorbikes.
The thing I want to know is: what rpm does the cmx 500 engine run at 100 kmh and at maxium speed in the 6th or 5th gear?
Another new question: is there a limiter to the rpms?
Thank you for your patience with my questions.

Greetings from Hamburg

·
Registered
356 Posts
So, I asked Honda UK what the bike speed is for each gear per 1000 revs. I'd like to know that to understand the bike better. I also asked what was the rev limit. I have just been told that Honda UK does not have that information! What?!!! Must be a closely guarded secret. (I suppose only Google knows!) 😦

·
Registered
155 Posts
So, I asked Honda UK what the bike speed is for each gear per 1000 revs. I'd like to know that to understand the bike better. I also asked what was the rev limit. I have just been told that Honda UK does not have that information! What?!!! Must be a closely guarded secret. (I suppose only Google knows!) 😦

I'm told there IS a rev limiter, I don't know when it kicks in but it IS somewhere above 85mph :cool:

·
Registered
361 Posts
If it's anything like my Triumph Bonneville, when you hit the rev limiter it will just start to sputter and cut out like it's running out of gas.

·
Registered
63 Posts
If it's anything like my Triumph Bonneville, when you hit the rev limiter it will just start to sputter and cut out like it's running out of gas.
Yes this. when you hit it its actually soft very non violet or jerky, it just stops accelerating. The engine is safe up to 9,000+ rpm but Honda engineers limited the rev limit to 8,500 rpm because the horsepower begin to drop off at that point .

·
Registered
356 Posts
Well done samuraiadam17, you've cracked it. Thank you.
For those who would like it, mph per 1000rpm for each gear is as follows:
Gear.............Speed
1 ............... 4.26 mph.... per 1000 rpm
2 ............... 6.65 mph.... per 1000 rpm
3................ 8.74 mph.... per 1000 rpm
4 ..............10.76 mph.... per 1000 rpm
5 ..............12.16 mph.....per 1000 rpm
6 ..............13.41 mph.....per 1000 rpm

·
Registered
63 Posts
Well done samuraiadam17, you've cracked it. Thank you.
For those who would like it, mph per 1000rpm for each gear is as follows:
Gear.............Speed
1 ............... 4.26 mph.... per 1000 rpm
2 ............... 6.65 mph.... per 1000 rpm
3................ 8.74 mph.... per 1000 rpm
4 ..............10.76 mph.... per 1000 rpm
5 ..............12.16 mph.....per 1000 rpm
6 ..............13.41 mph.....per 1000 rpm
LOl you people are slow
I dont evan have a Rebel 500

1 - 20 of 25 Posts