Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got my Rebel, time for the first gas stop. I live in Washington state where every gas pump I know of has the rubber boot around the nozzle. I discovered these pumps and the Rebel 500 gas tank don't play nicely together. I had to hold the rubber boot back with my hand to disengage the pump's safety which then raised the nozzle out of my tank slightly causing me to almost overfill the tank and all kinds of frustration.

So question, what do you guys/gals do to fill your tanks when the pumps have those rubber vapor boots over the nozzle? Any tips or gadgets you purchased to push that boot up to pump gas easily? It's kind of a wrestling match with just my hand... super awkward.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I had the same awkward encounter on my first fill as well, had to pull back the boot. It was first time filling a bike. There's actually two cutoff switches, one in the boot and another in the nozzle itself that'll detect a filled tank.

I just jammed the nozzle as far in as it'll go. The boot is a gamble, sometimes I had to nudge it a little, sometimes it's hands off but the internal switch should automatically cut off the gas when the tank is full.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just jammed the nozzle as far in as it'll go.
I tried doing that too but the little bar that stops the nozzle from going in deep into the tank was actually triggering the nozzle-end safety shutoff. I was fighting both safety switches...

I guess I'm glad it wasn't just me from the sounds of it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Don't have that problem here either, but I do fill with the nozzle right at the opening so I can visually see the gas levels instead of trusting the pump.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts