Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As there are those of us who have to stow the bike away for a little while each year, are any of you using the time to plan any mods for the bike?

Christmas is upon us soon, and all I can think about is that the riding season isn't coming fast enough!
But, in the meantime I'm scavenging the web for parts and stuff here, planning out mods I wanna do and get the purchases out of the way, so that everything has arrived by the time I'm able to take the bike out from storage again. (I've stored it at the dealers this year, so I can't do anything with it during the winter)

For now, I've purchased this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/182782287689

Also looking a little at those small bags for the bike:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-REBEL-CMX-500-300-2017-SADDLE-BAG-SIDE-FRAME-COVER-FAIRING-GENUINE-LEATHER/152691406352?epid=2224278651&hash=item238d1df610:g:GHUAAOSwiHpaD5aM&vxp=mtr
Have yet to make my mind up on them..
If that price is for two of them, then I just might.. But I suspect the price is just for one of them, and that is a little outrageous then...
Edit: Dumb little me.. Just saw it now, price is for the pair of them. Bah, dammit.. Now I kinda have to get them...

And I'm currently looking into getting indicators and license plate holder from Rizoma.
They are expensive as F! But, rather get good quality stuff once, rather than cheap junk again and again.
That, and the fact that I can't seem to find anyone else providing what I'm actually after.
I want indicators at the back that has "all in one" purpose. Indicator, driving light, and brake light, all in the same housing.
And Rizoma has just the one I've been looking for:
Universal Indicator Lights by Rizoma Bikes Accessories -
And these at the front:
Universal Indicator Lights by Rizoma Bikes Accessories -
These are also meant for front position light, like the rebel has as stock in the indicators.
Should be pretty simple plug and play, for the most part.
AND! Everything will be LED light... *bliss* Ahh.. I like the thought of that, yes sir..

SO! Guys and Gals that suffer the same fate of winter on your door, are you planning any mods as well??

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi all, it’s been some time but now I’m back to amuse you all with a vintage trunk project.
Though I really like the aesthetics of my stainless luggage rack I miss having a lockable trunk behind me.
Most trunk solutions are practical but look awful.
It’s up to you to decide on the looks of what I cooked up, I myself can’t be bothered because I’m sitting comfortably with my back against it.
My imagination got the best of me when I ran into a vintage Vetter trunk for € 25,--.
I welded up a rack that places it as close as possible to the seat so I can make use of the driver back rest. The shape of the trunk and the lack of space between me and the trunk may even have some beneficial streamlining effects , just the thing Craig Vetter was always looking for. Will find out when I go do some long freeway stints.
Plusses for me so far; big lockable storage space, driver back rest, trunk is not somewhere high up in the air far behind me but as low as possible with center in front of the back axle.
Still have to paint the rack and possibly the colored trunk panels.
I might try to hook up the trunk lights at a later time, haven’t decided yet if I want to remove them or make them work.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
983 Posts
I think with my bike, I made the mistake of doing so many mods in a short time that I no longer have much to look forward to and kind of killed the enthusiasm a little.

Still haven’t changed the exhaust yet & prob will add one or two bags, & I’m still contemplating on the wheel colour change, but enough for now.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Twiz,

I just found out that if I strip the wheels of the bearings I can get both wheels done for $100.00. I must give them a $40.00 deposit to order the powder and the balance of $60.00 when I pickup the wheels. I am thinking Gloss White at the moment. I will get it done over the winter when I need a new rear tire.......

Anyone on The Forum have a recommendation for replacement tires?

Kenny G

·
Super Moderator
983 Posts
Kenny, that’s a very good price quote & will be looking forward to seeing the result.

I prefer Matt or semi Matt better as I think it would blend with the Matt grey tank better, but as you have a gloss tank & fender then your choice would prob suit.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I was eyeballing these "fairing bags" as well! Since i use my rear fender bracket for aftermarket indicators most saddlebag options are off limits.

But that price tag is so off putting for what you get...i wish there was more options available for those of us who dont want so much junk in the trunk and want to keep things streamlined :p

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was eyeballing these "fairing bags" as well! Since i use my rear fender bracket for aftermarket indicators most saddlebag options are off limits.

But that price tag is so off putting for what you get...i wish there was more options available for those of us who dont want so much junk in the trunk and want to keep things streamlined :p
Yeah, I'm planning on using one of the fender bolts to hold the new indicators as well, so no saddlebags for me. Doesn't matter anyway, since I don't want any on the bike either way.
But, some small storage, like these bags, would suit just perfect.
I would guess others might make similar bags with time. But who's got the time to wait all year?
But then again, I haven't looked much into it yet, but I know for a fact that other sites/brands make such bags, so this ebay listing isn't the only option out there. Just gotta look.
Biggest problem for me is finding something, someone, who actually ships worldwide.
People in the US have it easy that way, way more options available over there compared to Europe.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Well I am pretty much hitting up the family for parts this Christmas. Hopefully will have new tail light, turn signals, swing arm bag, bars and grips. Hopefully won't need to replace cables and lines but we'll see after I get the bars. Too lazy to put up links to everything.
It's fun seeing what everyone is planning and can't wait to see the final results! Happy Holidays and safe riding to all who still can this time of year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bah, just ordered the small bags... Found them a little bit cheaper.
Tried looking all over the place for similar bags, but man the options are slim with such smaller ones...
Found some mid sized bags that might have worked, but the size just wouldn't be right as a frame bag as I was wanting.

Actually found a local bike shop that sells Rizoma parts, still waiting to hear back from them in regards of the items I'm interested in.
Was a little afraid that ordering from them would be a hassle, but seems it will be a walk in the park instead :)

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I am pretty much hitting up the family for parts this Christmas. Hopefully will have new tail light, turn signals, swing arm bag, bars and grips. Hopefully won't need to replace cables and lines but we'll see after I get the bars. Too lazy to put up links to everything.
It's fun seeing what everyone is planning and can't wait to see the final results! Happy Holidays and safe riding to all who still can this time of year.
But hopefully you'll include links and pics the day you post about them, riiiight? :p

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Soo... I finally heard back from the guys providing the Rizoma parts, aaand.. NOP! No freaking way!
They only sell their indicators as one each, not in pairs. And for a single light, they want a whopping 106 us dollars!! A hundred and six freaking dollars..!
That's 424$, just for the four lights! That... That's bloody insane it is.
I realized they would be a bit on the expensive side, but there is just no way I'm gonna justify that price.

So I big shout out of thank you to GazzasNewToy for introducing me to the light you've gotten yourself.
Made me able to find some more sensible light here at a reasonable price.
Will most likely be getting myself these instead:
Set Of 4 Black CNC Machined Billet Alum Custom Integrated Front & Rear Turn Signals - MAX-INC AUSTRALIA

All four of them, with the lighting that I'm looking for, for just 151$ with the shipping. Now that I can live with!

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So.. um.. It seems I may gone a little overboard with this whole future mods planning of mine... :|
So far I've spent over 600$ on parts here... And I'm still not 100% finished yet, as there will be some issues that need resolving..

But..! At least it will be one heck of an Christmas for me! :grin2:
It'll be awesome to finally get to mod the bike towards how I want it to look >:)

I've at least stopped adding to the list over things I'm gonna do, now I just need to figure out exactly how I'm gonna pull everything off!

I've got two issues.
One is the indicators at the front.
I don't want them mounted on the forks, as they are now.
Instead I aim to mount them on the handlebar. Just gotta figure out how exactly I'm gonna mount them.
I know there are clams designed for this, but the only viable options then is by mounting the indicators upside down, thus meaning that water would follow the wires right into the housing, and I don't like the thought of that... And from how it looks in my head, I can't say I really like the look on how the wires will be coming out upwards on the handlebar.
I'm speaking with these in mind:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-1-Handlebar-Turn-signal-Mirror-Clamps-For-Harley-Dyna-Sportster-Softail-/192080809199
The only solution I've found for now that actually allows me to mount the indicators on the handlebar.

The second is the license plate holder.
I'm thinking of replacing the whole stock set up with this instead:
License plate supports by Rizoma Bikes Accessories Harley Davidson -
And I kinda visioned mounting it by using the two original holes in the fender that is holding the original set up for the lights.
Just can't seem to find a viable option in regards of actually doing that. Still playing around with ideas here.
Might have to fabricate something myself to get it how I want it, but it's the slight issue of access to materials, welding, painting, the whole lot honestly...
Sadly we don't have shops on every corner here that does such for a living.

Bah.. I'm open for all ideas if anyone has any!:wink2:

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Lyoko,

I have seen Harleys with OEM Turn Signals mounted on the handle bars and they should work on our Rebels if you can find space for them.

Also look at some of the Harleys that have side mounted, hinged, license plates.

Kenny G

·
Registered
35 Posts
It may not be the look you are after but you can get hand guards / protectors with indicators built in.
Wiring wise you could then piggy-back on the existing break/clutch cables to mostly hide the wires down to below the tank.

Another idea, although really not convinced about the look would be some form of bar end indicator. Wiring could be hidden inside the bar and run to a hole/outlet drilled somewhere near the middle of the bar.

·
Super Moderator
983 Posts
Dispo.
The only problem with the bar end indicator idea, as you say run a wire through the bars, is you need to drill through or drill out the weights.
I’ve done it & their steel weights not alloy, pain in b..t to do them.

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It may not be the look you are after but you can get hand guards / protectors with indicators built in.
Wiring wise you could then piggy-back on the existing break/clutch cables to mostly hide the wires down to below the tank.

Another idea, although really not convinced about the look would be some form of bar end indicator. Wiring could be hidden inside the bar and run to a hole/outlet drilled somewhere near the middle of the bar.
Nah, getting way to much vibes of Offroad/Motard with hand guards, don't like that thought at all.. I'm sure it would have worked nicely, but the Rebel isn't quite the right bike for it, in my opinion.

I've had a slight thought on bar end indicators, but I don't really trust the visibility on them.
And besides, I've got bar end mirrors, and I'm quite fond of them as they are.

So I'm kinda stuck with getting regular indicators to mount on the handlebars here.
I'll always manage somehow, just gotta get my head wrapped around it for a little while and come up with a sensible solution to as how.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts