Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Forum - During my starting routine previously, I found that once I turned the key, turned on electrical, my fuel pump would engage/prime creating a noise and then stop. At that I'm I'd fire the bike up.

I'm now finding when I fire the bike up that the fuel pump noise returns and runs constantly. When I'm sitting on the bike I can hear it loudly and when I place my ear to the tank it is identical to the fuel pump noise when starting up.

Is this normal and just a noise I didn't notice before or could I have issues with my pump, relay, or filter?

I recently changed to LED lights but didn't change the relay, not sure if there's any correlation but I didn't notice this immediately after changing them.. Seems to have just started all of a sudden.

[email protected]

·
Registered
129 Posts
So with fuel injection the fuel must be pressurized so that it can be sprayed from the injectors when needed.
At start up the pump will bring the pressure up and stop UNTIL the engine is started.
Then it has to run to keep the pressure up.
Always on is normal.
IF the noise is loud that may be a problem, unless your just focused and hearing it and its nothing.
Also if you experience any running issues that are new then yea a pump problems.

·
Registered
84 Posts
So with fuel injection the fuel must be pressurized so that it can be sprayed from the injectors when needed.
At start up the pump will bring the pressure up and stop UNTIL the engine is started.
Then it has to run to keep the pressure up.
Always on is normal.
IF the noise is loud that may be a problem, unless your just focused and hearing it and its nothing.
Also if you experience any running issues that are new then yea a pump problems.
I think you mis-understood his question—it was PRIOR to starting the bike. He used to turn the key allow the system to pressurize then start the bike. He is saying now that it isn’t pressurizing and stopping prior to ignition.

This is not normal, to me it means the system is NOT pressurizing correctly. Once the bike starts yes the pump runs non-stop....

Hope this helps to clarify.

Thanks!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I think you mis-understood his question—it was PRIOR to starting the bike. He used to turn the key allow the system to pressurize then start the bike. He is saying now that it isn’t pressurizing and stopping prior to ignition.

This is not normal, to me it means the system is NOT pressurizing correctly. Once the bike starts yes the pump runs non-stop....

Thanks!

I think you're the one that misunderstood. Maybe re-read the OP.

·
Registered
129 Posts
His post -
"I'm now finding when I fire the bike up that the fuel pump noise returns and runs constantly. When I'm sitting on the bike I can hear it loudly and when I place my ear to the tank it is identical to the fuel pump noise when starting up."

To me "fire up" is start not turn the key on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pardon any confusion in my verbiage Jdock you are correct I meant fire up as in push start button not turn key. I'm thinking I might just be noticing a noise that for whatever reason I didn't pick up before. I'll keep an eye out for running issues and go from there. Thanks all!

·
Registered
376 Posts

Thanks!
Wow, just wow! Are you high? There are no words to describe this.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
212 Posts
I really can't hear anything other than the TBR piercing my eardrums when I fire it up, but when it's just pre ignition, I hear the pump for approximately 3 seconds and it stops.

Something I do hear though despite the TBR is like a weird old style sewing machine type of constant noise that's always there when i twist the throttle. I was hearing that before the TBR with the stock exhaust too...

·
Registered
119 Posts
Earplugs will address all those unwanted sounds you hear but don't understand, just like turning up the radio in your car. Ride on.

·
Registered
129 Posts
THIS -
"like a weird old style sewing machine type of constant noise"

IS exactly how it should sound.
It means the valves are adjusted and working fine.
When the noise goes away, gets quieter, then its time to adjust your valves.

Keep sewing !

·
Registered
212 Posts
THIS -
"like a weird old style sewing machine type of constant noise"

IS exactly how it should sound.
It means the valves are adjusted and working fine.
When the noise goes away, gets quieter, then its time to adjust your valves.

Keep sewing !
Oh man that's good to know...had no idea! I was getting concerned at first, especially when I was riding with a bucket helmet and stock exhaust I was hearing it clearly. But I realized it does it since day 1 and nothing is broken, so I stopped paying attention to it and figured it must be an engine characteristic...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts