Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fuel gauge drops to 3 bars after about 20miles on a brimmed tank. This seems a bit soon to me, is this normal?

·
Premium Member
1,655 Posts
Yes, it's normal. On the other side, the other bars will seem to last a little eternity.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Yeah, the bars don't equate to fuel quantity percentage like you'd think, i.e. 3/4 bars = 75%, 2 bars = 50% etc... it'd be nice, but no lol

If I recall correctly, mine will hit one bar at around 130 miles or so driven... and start flashing around 145. I only let it get that low once, and it still only took like 2.3 gallons to fill up, so there was still over half a gallon (roughly 15-20%) left in the tank.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Don't think we've seen as much as 20 miles to lose the top bar. Usually happens after 10-15 miles. That's with the tank filled with bike sitting upright.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Using the built in trip meter, I do see after 20 to 22 miles, the top light does go off on the 500.

I thought it was weird too but I guess it is normal!

·
Registered
182 Posts
37km or 23 miles for my top bar to disappear. On the opposite end it took ~60km or 37.3 miles for my bottom bar to start flashing.

·
Registered
67 Posts
It's definitely not the most accurate, but I think of it more as an assumption (I know I'm low on fuel at a single bar, but I have no idea much I have left). I usually fill up when it gets to a single bar and I don't really calculate my mpg, actually I sometimes just top it off just to have it topped off.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Yeah, the bars don't equate to fuel quantity percentage like you'd think, i.e. 3/4 bars = 75%, 2 bars = 50% etc... it'd be nice, but no lol

If I recall correctly, mine will hit one bar at around 130 miles or so driven... and start flashing around 145. I only let it get that low once, and it still only took like 2.3 gallons to fill up, so there was still over half a gallon (roughly 15-20%) left in the tank.
Same here. My last bar starts to flash at about 130-135 miles, then takes about 2.1 gallons to fill it. I love the fuel economy on this bike. I was driving an old 94 Jeep Cherokee before I bought the Rebel, and was getting about 14 miles per gallon. I went from spending $40 a week in gas to less than 5 bucks.

-CG

·
Super Moderator
1,293 Posts
I think the bars accurately represent the fuel level in the tank, but the tank is not cross sectionally consistent from top to bottom. So the middle part will drain slower than the top and bottom because it has more cross sectional area. One could model the volume vs fuel gauge pretty easily if one wanted to.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Yes. When I got my rebel from the dealer, they filled it with a few drops of gas and said: "the bar is blinking now, but you have gas for 40 kilometers". So my first job after buying the bike was to fill it up fully.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Using the built in trip meter, I do see after 20 to 22 miles, the top light does go off on the 500.

I thought it was weird too but I guess it is normal!
Yes, it is normal, the volume/shape of the tank accounts for the gage going off sooner than the others gas gage bars. It is a straight line sensor by volume. So, further down the tank it gets wider and holds more volume which equals more gas, in turn, more miles. Think of it as an upside-down triangle or cone. Or a beer bottle, where it only takes one swig to drop the beer down past the neck, then it takes a few more swigs to drop the beer level the same distance. HAHA assuming that you don't guzzle the beer in one swig.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Tree said:
Or a beer bottle, where it only takes one swig to drop the beer down past the neck, then it takes a few more swigs to drop the beer level the same distance. HAHA assuming that you don't guzzle the beer in one swig.
that's a big assumption my friend :grin2:

·
Registered
41 Posts
fuel gauge drops to 3 bars after about 20miles on a brimmed tank
mine does that too but still nice to have a fuel gauge

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks for this, I assumed it worked the same as the digital gauge on other Hondas but I didn't want to run out of gas just to find out there's no blink!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts