Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had 70 on my 500. I'm not sure if the dealer topped it off before I bought it and didn't reset the trip meter. If they did I would have been more around 65 with mostly stop and go and back roads at 55mph.

·
Registered
178 Posts
rebel 300, went on another long drive, I got 225kms/139.8miles all highway driving with the wind, averaged speed 110kms/hr. Took it to 145kms/hr only once to pass a transport truck. That's topping it off before leaving, to having the last bar flash to empty. Not good with the math, so don't know what that translates to in mpg. lol.

All and all, not too bad. Its far enough I can get to the nearest gas station outside the city which is 218kms away. But I think for my own piece of mind, I'll pickup a jerry-can small enough to hold at least a liter of fuel, and strap it in a saddle bag, when I eventually get them. lol.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Our 500 got 71.8 mpg on the second tank, mostly 55 mph roads and driven by my wife. The factory specs give an estimated 67 mpg for the 500. So, 65 for the first tank and 72 for the second seems pretty reasonable.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Got almost exactly 160 miles from full until the engine shut off. 70% highway miles mostly going 75-85, 30% local streets in Los Angeles.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Mixed use i've been getting 65/66 mpg. one tank a few weeks back was nothing but highway riding and i got 70mpg

·
Registered
182 Posts
I'm about 80% highway and 20% city and just did 67.5 mpg (3.483 L/100km) on my 500. I was happy to see I had 1.5 L left in the tank after going 280.2 km.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Also other considerations to consider of course is how much the person weighs, plus how much riding is against the wind, whether or not you use gasoline that has ethanol in it. If that is the case try it without ethanol and watch the numbers increase!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Also other considerations to consider of course is how much the person weighs, plus how much riding is against the wind, whether or not you use gasoline that has ethanol in it. If that is the case try it without ethanol and watch the numbers increase!
This is why I ride while standing up. /s

·
Registered
153 Posts
I get about 70mpg to 75mpg with equal amounts of highway and road on my 500A. But I'm only 127 pounds an I mostly stay between 40mph to 75mph.

·
Registered
121 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
The mpg of the 500 is most impressive. I continue to be impressed with the quality and performance of this bike, especially given its price.

·
Registered
9 Posts
@Rising Sun, the 70mpg is for the rebel 300 2017, not the 500. The rebel 500 is advertised at in the 60's mpg range if you ride it reasonably easily enough ( not going faster than 70mph on highway...easy smooth acceleration and riding in highest gear like anything else). I know because I've owned and ride daily to and from work the 2017 rebel 300 ( 286cc engine) and consistently get 80+ mpg...city riding primarily with 50mph being my preferred max speed on the local city highway ( not interstate highway like i20 for example). 210 pounds with all gear and loaded backpack on 40psi rear and 37/38 psi front stock tires.

Oh, and that 80+ mpg result is consistent since late June. I didn't even start keeping count of the mpg results until at least the 7th gas tank refill and am currently at about 2k miles.

For the record though, no matter how easily I ride her, if I go more than 140miles per tank...the mpg starts going down a decent bit. I have completely drained her from vomiting full all the way to .." refuses to crank"..bone dry and got 213 miles before the bike literally cut off on me in mid-travel ( I had a bottle of fuel in my backpack on purpose to ensure I could still make it home so no worries)...AGain that's teh rebel 300..not the bigger 471cc in the 500 and cbx500 naked sport bike.

<< ----- However, If I ensured I filled up the same day each week with only work and grocery store ( and **** good asian food restaurant) travel...that's around 105 to 128 miles total and only draining around half of the 2.96 gallon tank riding the same way with the same weight same upright position 90% of the time and consistently getting 82 to 85 mpg. It's weird but whatever. ----->>
@fred0666. Unless you've already put the psi of your tires similar to mine, you're around the same weight within a 10% margin or closer, and are keeping your max speed in 6th gear around the 60mph or less mark, AND you stick to a consistent/same exact route on daily riding and keep the same form ( no tuck/upright, 3/4 tuck) on every ride...You'll be lucky to hit 72 mpg. I hope you can though. Cheers everyone.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
i consistently get 70mpg on my 500 no problem.
I ride pretty hard now that I know the bike, and I still get in the upper 60s on my 500.

Last year, when I first got the bike and was riding conservatively, I consistently got 70+.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I’m at the 800 mile mark and have seen 70 to 72 miles per gallon it’s consistent. I reset the odometer at every fill up. 150 miles is a 2.1 gallon fill up. I may push the range to 175.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yesterday I was 250 KM on backroads. (156 mi) Total use of fuel was 9,75 Liter (2,6 gal)

·
Registered
23 Posts
I kept up with the MPG on my 500 over about 10 fill ups. Mine averaged about 62 mpg with the worse was 58 mpg with the best being 66 mpg, I'm no little boy at 270 lb, the bike has around 1000 miles on it, I haven't been able to ride in warm weather, and non etoh fuel. It's strange that I don't see a reason for the difference fuel usage, slow and lugging or highway speeds, it just don't seem to matter, but I'd be willing to bet when the temperature warms up here it'll be more consistently in the upper 60s.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts