Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i’ve read the threads on here about changing the front sprockets to less teeth than the original for torque. I’m one that cruises 80-90mph constantly on our California highways. I get that high rpm buzzing that can get annoying. So, first of all I’d like to know what is the stock size front sprocket. Secondly, I would probably benefit in a bigger sprocket up front. Going up one tooth I would imagine lower my rpm and get rid of my buzzing at that speed. With that said, where would I shop for such a thing if it’s possible and are there any instructional vids on this?
I do understand that my speedo would be off too. I would use my gps to keep track of my speed...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Going up one tooth in front will make your bike go slower and rpm higher. You have to change it to smaller to get rpm down. Speedo gets its info from abs sensors or front wheel, so it will not be off after changing sprockets

·
Registered
11 Posts
I changed the front from 15 to 16 - and had to get a speedo healer. This reduces my rev count at speed by 6%. At some stage I will probably replace the rear sprocket going from 40 down to 38 (for another 5%) because I spend a lot of highway miles. I hit top gear at 80 and sit on 110. Dropping a gear when I'm at the speed limit pushes the revs uncomfortably high (for me - the bike seems fine) - I shoudl really put a tacho on, I would be much happier - I just haven't got round to it yet.
I tried to install an old tacho I had lying around - but it didn;t work. There was probably a reason I had it off the previous bike, but I had forgotten

1 - 7 of 7 Posts