Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else feel that their front fork springs are too soft? The bike settles too deep into the front fork travel under it's own weight. I have put spacers in on top of the springs, but that didn't help much. The springs are just too soft to me. Are there any affordable springs that would replace the stockers and hold the front up better. Certainly don't want ones too stiff, just a bit more to hold the front of the bike up where it should be.

·
Registered
778 Posts
i haven't noticed any adverse conditions personally. might be preference on my part.
also is your bike new? if you bought it used it could have low oil in the tubes, or wrong weight if someone changed it for some reason

·
Registered
121 Posts
Responding about a CB500X. It had a hideous "progressive" transition from soft to hard as it came from the factory in 2014. I checked the fluid levels in the front forks and found the levels to be a half inch different. Fixing the fluid level helped a bit but I wound up getting the normal weight replacement springs from a Hagon dealer in California, and that eliminated much of the hammering from bumpy streets (regular pavement offsets). I haven't ridden a gen 3 Rebel. Below is my last Rebel:

·
Registered
121 Posts
I feel the same about them, i will look into changing the fork oil like i did on my Grom as it made a big difference.
How did it work? What weight did you use? Did you change the amount of oil? If so, to what level below the tube top (measurement with springs out)?

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
i haven't noticed any adverse conditions personally. might be preference on my part.
also is your bike new? if you bought it used it could have low oil in the tubes, or wrong weight if someone changed it for some reason
Odin,

A lot of the perception about how good a set of forks will work depends on how you sit on the bike and how much of your weight is on the handlebars. I too see no problem with the forks functionality.

Kenny G

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My problem with the front springs is that the bike will settle a good 3/4" by it's own weight when I take it off the kick stand and stand the bike straight up. Then it settles a bit more when I sit on it. Overall, that is nearly a quarter of it's total travel. I don't want the front too stiff, but that is just too soft. And heavier fork oil isn't the answer. Slightly stiffer springs are.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
My problem with the front springs is that the bike will settle a good 3/4" by it's own weight when I take it off the kick stand and stand the bike straight up. Then it settles a bit more when I sit on it. Overall, that is nearly a quarter of it's total travel. I don't want the front too stiff, but that is just too soft. And heavier fork oil isn't the answer. Slightly stiffer springs are.
Dave, I think you should have a professional look at your forks.

I have about 9000 miles on my 2017 500 and there is no perceivable sag in the forks when I put my bike on the side stand and then climb on the bike. I weigh 170 LB.

Kenny G

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just for info I took some measurements off of a brand new Rebel 500.

Front fork travel 120mm.

Unladen sag 43mm - ie over 1/3 of fork travel used without any rider weight added

Total sag 55mm with 180lb rider added - ie almost half of the 120mm of suspension compressed

I did read somewhere the stock springs are rated at 4.5N mm

·
Registered
15 Posts
Actually it's worse than first thought, I've just checked my own bike and found some 'top out' extension, which in all probability if going by other Showa fork assemblies the 120mm of suspension travel listed in the specs actually comprises of 10mm extension and just 110mm of compression.

Assuming you're of an appropriate weight for the OEM springs, preload adjusters start at £13 delivered from China to the UK, and while I wouldn't consider them a permanent fitment at that price they might be a worthwhile experiment to see if adding preload is the solution and if so will let you know how much preload is required.
Then the fork internals can be adjusted appropriately and the original fork caps refitted.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts