Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Has anyone done anything to increase the performance of the front brakes? They are woeful... (ABS version) Thinking of putting my spare CBR600RR master cylinder on to see if it would help..
Thanks

·
Registered
814 Posts
Hi all,
Has anyone done anything to increase the performance of the front brakes? They are woeful... (ABS version) Thinking of putting my spare CBR600RR master cylinder on to see if it would help..
Thanks
I have never had an issue with the brakes on my ABS 500. But as far as upgrading, there is a kit to add on Brembo brakes but it would be quite expensive.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have never had an issue with the brakes on my ABS 500. But as far as upgrading, there is a kit to add on Brembo brakes but it would be quite expensive.
Are you a 4 finger braking guy? The brakes are so weak with 2 fingers. Ive seen the brembo kit but looks to be only compatible with non abs versions. Does look awesome though with brembos!!!

·
Registered
814 Posts
Are you a 4 finger braking guy? The brakes are so weak with 2 fingers. Ive seen the brembo kit but looks to be only compatible with non abs versions. Does look awesome though with brembos!!!
I brake using 2 or 3 fingers normally, but I also use a lot of engine braking so maybe it is from that. I do kind of want the brembo, but I wasn't thinking about it probably screwing up ABS.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I two finger brake on my 500 ABS and I'm pretty happy with the braking performance. With that said, I'm like shortyg83 and pretty much always engine brake. I've braked hard with just the front and rear though and have been able to stop pretty quickly.

·
Registered
425 Posts
In my safety class the guy was really hard on me about using two fingers when braking, its a hard habit to break i know. But you should really use 4 fingers because if you fall you'll smash all your fingers not on the brake or clutch.

·
Registered
712 Posts
In my safety class the guy was really hard on me about using two fingers when braking, its a hard habit to break i know. But you should really use 4 fingers because if you fall you'll smash all your fingers not on the brake or clutch.
Not sure about you, but in a fall/crash, I seriously doubt I'd still be hanging onto the grips when I hit the ground.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Not sure about you, but in a fall/crash, I seriously doubt I'd still be hanging onto the grips when I hit the ground.
i just want to help save your fingers, think what you want, sometimes a fall is faster than your reaction speed, skip to 1:56 for a demonstration

and he got out of it pretty decent I'm sure it hurt like **** though. imagine a bad case though where you slide for 60 plus feet with your hand grinding against the asphalt

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think how many fingers you use is really just personal preference. From riding offroad for many years now, I have grown accustomed to breaking with only my index finger. Having more fingers gripping the bar makes for a more secure grip. I know I can squeeze hard enough with one finger to make the front end squat pretty hard, but not so hard that it locks up the front wheel. You are more likely to lose control with the front wheel locked up, especially if you are swerving even just a little. The rear brake can lock up and you will likely continue just fine. I would just practice some hard breaking drills in an empty parking lot and see what feels comfortable to you, and just how many fingers you need to brake hard without locking up the front break. You might not tuck the front wheel locking it up at sub 20mph, but if you do that at 50mph you may very well high side and go for a nasty ride.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts