Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
247 Posts
To be honest, I dislike Fortnine. Not sure if its the overly repeated super cliche crap or the fact that I feel in large part he doesn't take the time to really test a product before slapping a review out on it and just seems to consist of first impressions.

Personally I loved Revzilla's write up and videos and they are in large part why I bought the Rebel 500

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/2017-honda-rebel-500-rebel-300-first-ride-motorcycle-review

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/starting-a-rebellion-big-men-small-bikes-with-the-honda-rebel-from-then-to-now

And the videos in both articles were very helpful for me as Lemmy and I share a stature!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have to say Revzilla's write up/review also helped me decide on my purchase of the 500. I test rode a Yamaha Bolt, the day prior to buying the Rebel, and honestly I didn't care for it one bit.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The following reviews confirmed that the Rebel was the right bike for. Delighted with it so far . . . .

Cheers,
sombaht

·
Registered
100 Posts
I was disappointed with Ryans review too, he was too picky.. Lemmy (Revzilla) was the best, that review was the first made me think about buying the Rebel.

I like this guy too
https://youtu.be/TFIdUe0oSgU

He is not much into cruisers or classic bikes, but man he's funny as **** (at least in his other videos) 😉

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks for posting all these reviews guys, I'm going to get into them in a bit. It seems like a good number of you went with the 500 over the 300. Any particular reasons why? Just for the bump in power?

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
Thanks for posting all these reviews guys, I'm going to get into them in a bit. It seems like a good number of you went with the 500 over the 300. Any particular reasons why? Just for the bump in power?
It's not just a bump.. It's literally the difference between day and night. The Rebel was made with the 500 engine in mind, and then at the last minute they decided that some parts of the world might be interested in the bike, but with a smaller engine. Mostly due to the difference in price, to attract more buyers to the new Rebel.
Why anyone would ever want a 300 however is beyond me..

·
Banned
247 Posts
I'm 6ft 285lbs, a 300cc engine was NEVER going to move me at highway speeds and still have anything left to try and pass anyone. Lemmy is pretty much might size so he is a great 'model' for what I will likely like, or not like.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I only got the 300 because my wife was with me when I went to the dealer and was too terrified for me to get a "bigger" bike since I was restarting riding after a fall a year prior.
Didn't want to argue after I got the green light to get another bike, and for under $5k new I took the gamble on the smaller bike.
At 5"10 190lbs it has enough power for me to get around the suburbs, downtown chicago, and highway (cruises at 70 mph comfortably).

Does everything I need it to, but yeah, wish I had gone with the 500.
I'll most likely keep the 300 for life since it's a good around town bike, but eventually buy a second bike for touring.

·
Super Moderator
959 Posts
It's not just a bump.. It's literally the difference between day and night. The Rebel was made with the 500 engine in mind, and then at the last minute they decided that some parts of the world might be interested in the bike, but with a smaller engine. Mostly due to the difference in price, to attract more buyers to the new Rebel.

(Why anyone would ever want a 300 however is beyond me..
)

Let me explain why some would want a 300.

Cost: The 300 is considerably less than the 500 so it’s dependant on the riders budget.
Intended use: Not everyone wants to clog it along the motorway, the 300 is perfect for town use, but in my opinion it’s capable of almost as much as the 500, plenty of 300 owners here often do 300-400kl club trips.

The older Rebel 250 sold plenty over the years, engine size didn’t stop that.
I’m happy with the 300 & how it performs, the 500 has a little more poke yeah! but it’s top speed isn’t that much more than it’s little brother.

As this is your first ever bike Lyoko, I can understand your love for it..but we are all proud of whether we own the 500 or 300.
Either one suits the riders purpose,needs, or desire.

As this is not my first ever bike or second or third, I’m not in love with the Rebel & it will be replaced in the near future, but it’s enjoyable for now.
The 300 is every bit a Rebel as is the 500.. just a mere 200cc apart,,everything is the same.

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
Let me explain why some would want a 300.
No, you don't have to explain anything.
I already wrote it, didn't I?
What I didn't write however is one of the sole reason for them making the bike into a 300 also, and that's actually mainly due to Thailand and other such countries where bikes outnumber cars. Such places have a lot of people wanting and needing to get around, but not the biggest wallet, or need, for a bigger bike, thus the 300.
So by all means, every bike has their own purpose.
But taking into consideration what the Rebel actually is, then for me, the 300 doesn't make sense.
The Rebel with a 300 engine becomes a wannabe Rebel.. My opinion at least.

As this is your first ever bike Lyoko, I can understand your love for it..but we are all proud of whether we own the 500 or 300.
Either one suits the riders purpose,needs, or desire.
The very first it may be, but I can't actually say that the love runs very deep.. I dunno, it just feels so darn small... Maybe I'll one day appreciate it more when I have experience from bigger bikes. Most likely I won't have the Rebel anymore when that day and age comes around, but oh well.. It'll do for now :p
But yes, by all means, people get to choose and decide what they want to ride regardless of anything else. But how many hasn't gotten the 300 and regretted it..? Just saying.

·
Registered
527 Posts
The best part of owning a 300 is the look on people's face when they realize a 300 kept up with their big bikes on long trips, gets 2-3x the gas mileage they're getting, sounds loud (with a slip on), and seeing how nimbly it maneuvers in parking lots.

Like most young people there's always that need for speed and I do wish it had quicker acceleration, but I take pride in telling everyone it's only a 300.

·
Registered
30 Posts
There is a definite market for a 300 and Honda aren't the only manufacturer to realise that. BMW recently launched the 310GS and KTM did similar with the 390 Duke (ok that's slightly more than 300cc). Also as pointed out earlier the 300 is less expensive than the 500 so maybe more affordable to younger riders who may not be able to stretch to a full 500.
One thing that caught me by surprise was how expensive it is to start out riding bikes. When you factor in the costs of training, gear, bike itself, insurance, it all adds up fairly quickly. Sometimes a cheaper more economical bike is a wise move.

Cheers,
sombaht

·
Banned
247 Posts
One thing that caught me by surprise was how expensive it is to start out riding bikes. When you factor in the costs of training, gear, bike itself, insurance, it all adds up fairly quickly.

I have friends that ride so I was clued in on the cost, but here in a general example of my cost:

Rebel 500 ABS before extended warranties etc - $7000
Essential Gear (Helmet, Gloves, Jacket) - $500
Non-Essential Gear (Boots, Pinlock insert) - $130
Communications/Technology - $300
Year of full coverage insurance - $700

Thats $8630 to get rolling, subtract about $400 for a few less items still not cheap to get riding.

·
Banned
247 Posts
I have friends that ride so I was clued in on the cost, but here in a general example of my cost:

Rebel 500 ABS before extended warranties etc - $7000
Essential Gear (Helmet, Gloves, Jacket) - $500
Non-Essential Gear (Boots, Pinlock insert) - $130
Communications/Technology - $300
Year of full coverage insurance - $700

Thats $8630 to get rolling, subtract about $400 for a few less items still not cheap to get riding.
Oh, I also forgot the MSF course, which I think we would all agree is essential gear!

$300 MSF Course

·
Registered
88 Posts
Lol, a Rebel 500 elitist.

I would be willing to bet that the 300 will probably sell more over the course of it's production run when compared to the 500. If anything I would bet that the 500 exists only because of the 300, not vice-versa.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Like most young people there's always that need for speed and I do wish it had quicker acceleration, but I take pride in telling everyone it's only a 300.
Conversely, most new riders don't need that quicker acceleration because many aren't mature enough to handle it. I try to be as responsible as possible but much of the time when I ride I'm a complete @sshat simply because the power is there and I can't help it. Remove 130 hp to get me at the Rebel 300 power level and I'm sure I would be a significantly better person.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts