Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning Everyone,

At least it is for me. Here in Hot & Sunny Northern CA.
Yesterday I went to the bank, and went inside, but before I did I locked my forks. When i came out 5 minutes later, my forks wouldn't unlock. Wiggling the key, no pressure, turning the forks as I'm turning the key. Nothing. I eventually got it, but I don't know how I got it. I probably couldn't replicate my sucess, because i was furious. I called AAA, and they said no. Called two dealers in the area to see if they had the tool to undo the "bolt" that holds the dang thing in place. "Oh we close in like 5 minutes so we wouldn't be able to do anything."

ANYWAYS, I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem with the lock not actuating/catching the teeth inside the cylinder. Before anyone asks, I don't know if someone tried to stick a screwdriver in my lock. I have not fork locked my bike again, in fear of it not unlocked again. My dealer suggested i spray some dry lube with teflon inside the cylinder, because maybe its not lubed enough.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Sometimes you gotta move the steering a little so the key will turn. I had that problem my first week owning my bike. Once I learned that little trick, never ran into that problem again. Chances are all you had to do was move your steering more to the left to relieve pressure on the locking mechanism.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know you have to push in as well. Locking/unlocking hasn't been an issue up until yesterday. And as stated previously, I tried all of the tricks in the book. The problem is, that the cylinder didn't push inwards, and the key would sometimes "slip" past the last tooth in the lock, so it would be farther then where it normally would be. I would assume that someone did try to screwdrive my lock, but ended up screwing it up.

**As of Right now: I cannot turn the key to even lock the bike**

I would post a video, but i dont want to go through Youtube, So if there is an easy way to post (because it seems like i can drag & drop the video from my computer).

·
Super Moderator
1,233 Posts
I know you have to push in as well. Locking/unlocking hasn't been an issue up until yesterday. And as stated previously, I tried all of the tricks in the book. The problem is, that the cylinder didn't push inwards, and the key would sometimes "slip" past the last tooth in the lock, so it would be farther then where it normally would be. I would assume that someone did try to screwdrive my lock, but ended up screwing it up.

**As of Right now: I cannot turn the key to even lock the bike**

I would post a video, but i dont want to go through Youtube, So if there is an easy way to post (because it seems like i can drag & drop the video from my computer).
you can attach a gif but not mp4

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
Seems you've answered this yourself, as you're suspecting a tempted robbery of the bike.
Get the lock changed.

Sent fra min SM-G930F via Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After about an hour of careful chiseling, i was able to get the "security" bolts off the lower bridge.
Lock works perfectly fine, no issues. Still kinda curious what happened, because there is no binding and it turns perfectly fine. Was doing it all day yesterday. So, I think the "lock pin" was stuck or something.
Lubed everything up, and hopefully it stays this way.

Now, i have another question. Does anyone know, what type of bit this is? I know its not a "head-on" picture, but there has to be a bit that Honda originally installed them with. There is nothing in the service manual, for anything regarding the fork lock cylinder, lower bridge, or any special tools to that area.

**Thanks**

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts