Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
I'm not sure. I've watched videos of other bikes where they took off the wheel, brake, disassembled the fork, then put them on.

I know Shorty put a set on his bike.. maybe he can detail the steps required?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have an electric hoist in my garage so I just took off the brake caliper on the front and lifted the front end off the ground with the hoist. Take off the blinkers ( you may be able to just loosen them). Loosen the bolts that hold the forks to the tree and slide them out. It was very easy. get a buddy or wife to help slide the boots on after you slide the forks out.

·
Registered
171 Posts
So does having a fork cover mean the fork never has to be cleaned again? I would imagine it'll be a PITA to do so.

·
Registered
34 Posts
This is how I got the fork boots on my girlfriend's Rebel. I had to suspend the bike from hooks mounted to the ceiling. I also wrapped the top of the forks in black vinyl because it's cheap and pretty easy. I attached a picture with the finished product after putting it all back together.

So far these seem to be the best option.
https://www.dimecitycycles.com/catalogsearch/result/?cat=0&q=Vintage+Style+Modern+Triumph+Twin+Fork+Boots

The boots sold by Steady Garage are big and clunky and I don't think they look as good.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
This is how I got the fork boots on my girlfriend's Rebel. I had to suspend the bike from hooks mounted to the ceiling. I also wrapped the top of the forks in black vinyl because it's cheap and pretty easy. I attached a picture with the finished product after putting it all back together.

So far these seem to be the best option.
https://www.dimecitycycles.com/catalogsearch/result/?cat=0&q=Vintage+Style+Modern+Triumph+Twin+Fork+Boots

The boots sold by Steady Garage are big and clunky and I don't think they look as good.
Looks good!
Also a sexy little exhaust piece you've got there, what is that? Got a link?

·
Registered
34 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Uuh, neat! How is the sound from it?
It sounds ok - definitely louder than stock. It seems like exhausts with baffles installed on these engines all sound about the same. She used to have a CB500F with a Danmoto carbon GP exhaust with baffle and it sounded very similar.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Speaking ofSteady Garage fork boots, has anyone gotten them and installed? Would love to see them. I got a pair for Christmas but haven't gotten to put them on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
Speaking ofSteady Garage fork boots, has anyone gotten them and installed? Would love to see them. I got a pair for Christmas but haven't gotten to put them on.
I think their website shows pictures of them installed, right? I have a pair, but didn't want to install them after I saw how big they are. The ones I got from Dime City Cycles were lower profile and a perfect fit for the Rebel.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Me and my friend are going to attempt to put fork boots onto my Honda Rebel 300. We have a jack, but realized theres no flat area to lift it from.. aside from hanging it from the ceiling, where could we jack it from to pull the forks off? When we put it back together im guessing the bolt needs to be torqued to a certain point? Thanks in advance yall!

·
Registered
814 Posts
Me and my friend are going to attempt to put fork boots onto my Honda Rebel 300. We have a jack, but realized theres no flat area to lift it from.. aside from hanging it from the ceiling, where could we jack it from to pull the forks off? When we put it back together im guessing the bolt needs to be torqued to a certain point? Thanks in advance yall!
I had the same issue when I went to install mine. I ended up cutting the fork boot down the seam. I then used a flexible epoxy and glued it back together while on the bike. I have not had an issue with it yet.

Attachments

·
Registered
527 Posts
I had the same issue when I went to install mine. I ended up cutting the fork boot down the seam. I then used a flexible epoxy and glued it back together while on the bike. I have not had an issue with it yet.
I like the sound of this method, if it's holding up I'll probably give this a try.
How much were your fork boots and where did you get them?

·
Registered
60 Posts
That looks really good. I think I’m gonna have to try that. Seems a lot easier. Thanks for your input! How long have you had it on for now??

1 - 20 of 34 Posts