Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone explain the use of fork boots are they worth it are they easy to install I've wondered this for a while now but can never seem to find a straight answer and can anyone recommend any to me

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Z1,

I like fork boots because they protect the fork seals.

If you can wait until you need to replace the front tire it is only a 10 minute job.

Kenny G

·
Registered
814 Posts
Can anyone explain the use of fork boots are they worth it are they easy to install I've wondered this for a while now but can never seem to find a straight answer and can anyone recommend any to me
Fork boots are to protect the top of the fork from dirt/mud/bugs etc to help protect the fork seals.
Most people who install them do so because they like the looks of them as opposed to a practical use.

As far as installing them goes they can be easy. To do them the normal (right) way you would need to be able to lift the front of the bike and remove the front forks. You would need a torque wrench and be able to reinstall your forks evenly.
There is a second way to do this. You can cut the fork boot down the seem and then use a flexible glue to put them back together once you place them on the bike. This would save you from having to remove the front forks if you found the job to much of a pain. Many here, including myself, have done it this way without any problems.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts