Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Rebel 300
180 Posts
Treated the bikes to 1 litre of 80w90 gear oil for the chain. If the Rebel goes it will still be used on the Super Cub. I ain't paying silly money for gizmo spray on lubes when a good soaking of gear oil will do just as well. £5.50/$7.10/CD 9.38 is a damn sight cheaper than can of whatever make spray a can and will last for years.

Warning! Great videos from Matt but he swears and curses like I don't know what!

Or Vic's way - No Cussing

Gear oil will ruin the o-rings .......

·
Registered
185 Posts
Well I guess everything now has someone that says it isnt good and will damage X.
SO USE WHAT EVER YOU LIKE!
Hope this thread goes on and on!!!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Gear oil will ruin the o-rings .......
Utter balderdash!

Maybe you should tell that to D.I.D. and indeed the motorcycle manufacturers such as Honda who have specified 80w-90 gear oil in their manuals - before they got corrupted (lol) and realised they could make a fortune selling spray cans to the idiots at extortionate prices. Cheaper to wax your chain using a melted candle!

Meanwhile an update from Matt, who incidentally has a degree in engineering, and should know what he is talking about. No mention of degradation in his chain's 'o' rings.

Warning: He swears! :p

And then there's the guy from FortNine. I trust him and his demonstrated research methods rather than some outrageous comment that is not backed up with evidence.

Today, I visited my ever so friendly motorcycle dealer. They gave me a piece of chain and some o rings to conduct my own research. They sell chain cleaner for £10.00 I have some that costs £0.75 pence and which is double in size. I am going to dip both the chain oil and o ring in the cleaner and leave it for six months. If all is well, I shall then be faced with a terrible dilemma. Do I share my secret with the world and save them all a load of dosh or do I buy thousands of gallons of the stuff and market as my own brand: "Sooty's Miracle Chain Cleaner". Tested beyond all limits! The cheapest chain cleaner on Planet Bike! Tested on both North and South poles! Great for all O rings, wedding rings, engagement rings, towel holder rings - and any old ring! Order today!

:p

·
Registered
253 Posts
Matt waxing* lyrical about gear oil and confirming what D.I.D. recommends - as noted above.
*pun intended

Sweary Matt.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Post #23.
An apology. A fan contacted me and told me I had missed out from my post 'earrings', 'lip rings' and 'nose rings'. I am profoundly sorry. I hope this post corrects my egregious error. I am suitably chastised.

Keep Safe - Be Happy - Enjoy Life

·
Registered
2019 Rebel 300
180 Posts
Honda does NOT recommend engine oil for o-ring chains!
Petroleum oil will degrade rubber o-rings. There are many different compositions of rubber and lube. Use what the manufacturer recommends.

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 Rebel 300
180 Posts
Newbie's have enough to think about without getting bogus info from misinformed self proclaimed experts.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Honda does NOT recommend engine oil for o-ring chains!
Petroleum oil will degrade rubber o-rings. There are many different compositions of rubber and lube. Use what the manufacturer recommends.
I'm not siding with one vs the other because I literally have zero experience on either side of the argument...but: of course Honda will recommend Pro Honda HP Lube or equivalent...they want you to consume their product!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Meanwhile the modern MSX-125 which has O ring seals. You are assuming that gear oil contains highly volatile benzene/petrol distillates. Really? You also dismiss out of hand one of the world’s largest chain manufacturers - D.I.D. and their instructions to lubricate chains. You know more than them?

Honda MSX-125 Manual excerpt.

·
Registered
2019 Rebel 300
180 Posts
I'm not saying anything other than to use what the manufacturer says to use. Honda lube OR equivalent! The equivalent is not engine oil.
This is not an old Harley the does pump engine oil onto the chain!

·
Registered
253 Posts
You would argue with yourself in an empty room. Meanwhile, my faithful Honda CB900F/919 with fitted O ring chain that never let me down states in the manual as per the image below. And Honda also recommend in the manual D.I.D. or RK Chains - and we know what D.I.D. says. So, in a nutshell: The CB900F/919 is an old warhorse (1981/2 - 2002/2007 on) and the MSX-125 is the new kid on the block (2014) but both state the same. Maybe Honda realised that one can‘t always get spray on, big profit cans across the planet.

I rest my case.

·
Registered
2019 Rebel 300
180 Posts
Meanwhile the modern MSX-125 which has O ring seals. You are assuming that gear oil contains highly volatile benzene/petrol distillates. Really? You also dismiss out of hand one of the world’s largest chain manufacturers - D.I.D. and their instructions to lubricate chains. You know more than them?

Honda MSX-125 Manual excerpt.

View attachment 32999
So you are good to go with GEAR oil as specified for your bike but that is not a current Rebel. More than likely not the same chain.
Just use what the OEM manual says to use.

·
Registered
2019 Rebel 300
180 Posts
Since when was 80W-90 engine oil?
Just use what the OEM manual says to use. Not all chains are identical. Not all o-rings are the same material.
If your manual says use petroleum use it, if it states o-ring lube is required, use that. There is nothing else to say.
Just because your manual says use Gear oil or Honda lube for your bike does not mean gear oil is equivalent to honda lube, it means you can use either one or the other.
Rebels require o-ring chain lube.

·
Registered
253 Posts
So you are good to go with GEAR oil as specified for your bike but that is not a current Rebel. More than likely not the same chain. Just use what the OEM manual says to use.
You exhibit either foolish or naïve behaviour despite the facts being presented to you,

The current or old Rebel is irrelevant. The Rebel chain is not special. It’s not titanium or gold plated. It is an ‘O’ ring chain - same as all other chains except for ‘X’ ring chains which purport to be arguably better at sealing. Some Rebel chains are made by D.I.D. others by RK.

You seem blinded to the fact that manufacturers of motorcycles will try to eek out every last cent/penny from the unwary motorcyclist - see post by SC48. You also seem oblivious to the fact that the bean counters will screw you for all they can. Take Yamaha for instance. £25.00/$32 for a humble C spanner/wrench which can be bought for pennies. They can see the fools coming a mile away. Not unlike high status branded Tee shirts made in the sweat shops of Asia for pennies and charged for in high bucks.

Could it be that Honda gets a percentage rake off from the suppliers of ‘their‘ chain lubricant? Do Honda make it themselves? Doubtful. Like all the Chinese junk that gets rebranded so that folks think it is an original Japanese factory made OEM part when it isn’t.

How many owners know where their bike/scooter is made? Because the Big Four are all Japanese it doesn’t follow that they are made in Japan. Same with Triumph. Only an idiot would believe they are manufactured in the U.K. Yep, a great British brand - my foot! Ditto BMW et al,.

I’ll stick to the objectively tested reviews from the likes of FortNine and Matt from The Workshop as well as a multitude of owner proven recommendations. They have nothing to lose but something more precious than money - trust.

Yours, never knowingly conned.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
market as my own brand: "Sooty's Miracle Chain Cleaner". Tested beyond all limits! The cheapest chain cleaner on Planet Bike! Tested on both North and South poles! Order today!
your ideas are intriguing to me and I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter
:LOL:

·
Registered
253 Posts
Hello Odin. Nice to hear from you. I hope and yours are well. 😃

Seriously, I am deadly serious. 😇 I don’t have a degree in any of the hard sciences but have a fertile imagination that often produces good results. In the next few days I’ll post up a snap of what looks like anodised screws - but they are not - winks.

The chain cleaner idea came to me out of the blue - as good ideas often do. More to follow when the tests are completed.

I kind of smirk when I read about people wanting to know about the best waterproof gloves and boots and then spending a fortune on whatever high class brand is trending. A pair for winter, a pair for summer, a light weight pair and so on. Just as efficient is to carry some re-cyclable plastic bags in your pocket. If it rains, cover hands or socks in said bags. Et voila!

Necessity is the mother of invention.

Take Care - Keep Safe - Be Good

😸

·
Registered
2019 Rebel 300
180 Posts
You exhibit either foolish or naïve behaviour despite the facts being presented to you,

The current or old Rebel is irrelevant. The Rebel chain is not special. It’s not titanium or gold plated. It is an ‘O’ ring chain - same as all other chains except for ‘X’ ring chains which purport to be arguably better at sealing. Some Rebel chains are made by D.I.D. others by RK.

You seem blinded to the fact that manufacturers of motorcycles will try to eek out every last cent/penny from the unwary motorcyclist - see post by SC48. You also seem oblivious to the fact that the bean counters will screw you for all they can. Take Yamaha for instance. £25.00/$32 for a humble C spanner/wrench which can be bought for pennies. They can see the fools coming a mile away. Not unlike high status branded Tee shirts made in the sweat shops of Asia for pennies and charged for in high bucks.

Could it be that Honda gets a percentage rake off from the suppliers of ‘their‘ chain lubricant? Do Honda make it themselves? Doubtful. Like all the Chinese junk that gets rebranded so that folks think it is an original Japanese factory made OEM part when it isn’t.

How many owners know where their bike/scooter is made? Because the Big Four are all Japanese it doesn’t follow that they are made in Japan. Same with Triumph. Only an idiot would believe they are manufactured in the U.K. Yep, a great British brand - my foot! Ditto BMW et al,.

I’ll stick to the objectively tested reviews from the likes of FortNine and Matt from The Workshop as well as a multitude of owner proven recommendations. They have nothing to lose but something more precious than money - trust.

Yours, never knowingly conned.
So you are saying all chains are the same? LOL
I'll follow the OEM manual and use whatever o-ring chain lube I find. for my 2019 Rebel 300.

·
Registered
60 Posts
For those amongst us that know that their advice is the best advice for looking after motorcycle drive chains surely the best thing to do would be to come back and update this section just after you replace your chain and then tell us how many miles it lasted for and what lubrication method and regime you used to obtain that mileage.

My OEM chain is just coming up to the 10,000 mile mark and was last adjusted over 5,000 miles ago and has yet to gain additional slack that would require getting the spanners out to adjust it again, so it's possible I may not be back to update this thread for some time ;)

·
Registered
2019 Rebel 300
180 Posts
^^ I agree, chains should last a looooong time with proper maintenance.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts