Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i just used this maxima kit for the first time (first time doing my chain) when i bought it they had a grease on the chain, so i used the clean up to get that off, cleaned it, dried it and then put on the chain wax - is that all i needed to do? is it supposed to just be straight wax like that not greasy at all?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Don’t panic Dylan. Apart from using the cleaner the next very important part is the penetrating oil. This should be on the rollers and on either side of the link plates. The wax isn‘t meant to be greasy in the true sense of the word ‘grease’. It’s there to protect the chain from the ingress of water - hence it being wax. It will eventually work itself into the chain or get thrown off. The only thing you have to watch out for is that thick grease or wax on a chain can collect grit.

Maybe next time buy some cheap gear oil 80-90 and use that. Thousands of motorcyclists swear by it. Allow to drip onto a piece of cardboard for a while before using.

Enjoy your bike.

😸

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don’t panic Dylan. Apart from using the cleaner the next very important part is the penetrating oil. This should be on the rollers and on either side of the link plates. The wax isn‘t meant to be greasy in the true sense of the word ‘grease’. It’s there to protect the chain from the ingress of water - hence it being wax. It will eventually work itself into the chain or get thrown off. The only thing you have to watch out for is that thick grease or wax on a chain can collect grit.

Maybe next time buy some cheap gear oil 80-90 and use that. Thousands of motorcyclists swear by it. Allow to drip onto a piece of cardboard for a while before using.

Enjoy your bike.

😸
yeah i used the cleaner but did not use the penetrating lube before using the wax. i did dry it off completely with a towel and let it sit to make sure it was dry. Is this ok or should i start over before riding?

·
Registered
304 Posts
That's exactly it. I use Maxima cleaner and wax, never used the penetrate.

Clean with the cleaner, be thorough and scrub with a chain brush. There's going to be a lot of dripping so put cardboard or something around the area. Wipe or rinse off till it's bone dry and apply the wax evenly. You don't need much here for wax, just a burst or two per section (spray top down, not just on the side) as you rotate the wheel a quarter or less at a time. You shouldn't lather it with the wax because it's going to fling off, which could be dangerous if it clumps and falls off while riding. Wipe excess and make sure you wipe the wheel and anywhere where you shouldn't have gotten wax or cleaner on 😊

·
Registered
221 Posts
Sorry to say this Dylan but yes I think you should. The cleaning and drying side sounds good. Remember, the oil is there to lubricate the chain and the rollers to stop friction and wear and tear. Why else would they include it in the kit?

In between our posts, I have been reading the reviews of what you have used. A few folk have said that the penetrating oil is similar to WD40. Overall, the reviews are positive.

A squirt of WD40/Penetrating oil every so often will do it no harm.

This is well worth 12 minutes of your time. He’s highly regarded.

·
Registered
221 Posts
For the Nerds - do they still exist? I used to know an engineer who worked for Hans Renold. At one time they were the biggest chain manufacturer in the world. They invented the roller chain. They also produced all the chains for British bikes such as Norton and BSA. I got all my chains for free!

Here’s what they have to say about lubrication. Their fascinating history section makes for a good read including references to the U S of A.

Lubrication Advice from Renold Chain - Renold Plc

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry to say this Dylan but yes I think you should. The cleaning and drying side sounds good. Remember, the oil is there to lubricate the chain and the rollers to stop friction and wear and tear. Why else would they include it in the kit?

In between our posts, I have been reading the reviews of what you have used. A few folk have said that the penetrating oil is similar to WD40. Overall, the reviews are positive.

A squirt of WD40/Penetrating oil every so often will do it no harm.

This is well worth 12 minutes of your time. He’s highly regarded.

thank you for your time and help! ill definitely start again. I found this one as well which explains it too. I had watched 2 before doing it and they only used kerosene and the wax only and i think that was my mistake thinking i could skip this step. Well at least there is another discussion here for any novice going to make the same mistake as me, now they wont!

https://youtu.be/O9gQJijVAIE

·
Registered
304 Posts
Thanks for the vid...very informative. Makes sense about the penetrant. Something I didn't mention is that I never rinse the chain with water, nor do I ride in rain...so water displacement is not an issue for me. Thats probably why I never had any issues with just using cleaner and wax...chain is in excellent condition 7k kms on.

·
Registered
221 Posts
A decent video Dylan. Just two small things. It’s wise to cut a piece of cardboard to slot in between the tyre and the chain to reduce the likelihood of any oil overspray going on the tyre. Bad karma!

I agree with him about the hose and not a pressure/jet washer. They are a disaster on bikes. They can wipe out the grease from the seals on bearings and get in places they shouldn’t.

Go to a garden centre or Walmart and buy a pump action water spray. Perfect for cleaning bikes as the pressure is very low. You can also use a hand spray.

Like this:

·
Registered
177 Posts
Sooty - first you post this statement -
"Maybe next time buy some cheap gear oil 80-90 and use that. Thousands of motorcyclists swear by it. Allow to drip onto a piece of cardboard for a while before using."
And then you post the Hans Renold link in which they state dont use thick weight oil on the chain!
I know a ton of riders do use gear oil, but its not the best.

Chain oiling is over thought by most.
On another forum a poster as never cleaned and oiled his chain and gets the same mileage out of his chain as most do.
Even in the video posted, and have watched it, WD40 doesn't do a bad job, just there are better lubes to use.
But like religion and politics you wont change someone else mind about what they believe in.

So just lube the chain once and awhile and dont spend so much time thinking about it!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Yes, I know Renold quote a lower figure. Folks, will have to decide for themselves.

As for somebody never using any chain lubricant. The mind boggles.

Needless to say lubrication also depends on driving conditions - Dry/Wet/Hot/Cold. Regular/Weekend rider. Slow/Fast rider.

I’m going to use baby oil from now on. Smells much nicer and is kind to one’s skin. I don’t know why FortNine didn’t include it in in video? I’ll send him a message.

How long before the BMW chain becomes available for all bikes?

😹

·
Registered
177 Posts
WHY?
Like iphones and Apple, if they have a wanted product they dont NEED to let everyone in on the deal.

But I'd like one!

·
Registered
221 Posts
I’ve got an iPhone but rarely use it except for a database. Much prefer my ancient Nokia 3510. Likewise, have an iPad but prefer to use Linux.

Must get to the shops and stock up on baby oil before everybody else cleans out the stock.

😸

·
Registered
2019 Rebel 300
152 Posts
Never put petroleum oil on your chain, it will soften the o-rings therefore compromising the integrity of the seal allowing the internal lube to seep out. Use lube designed for o-ring chain.
Petroleum oil is old school and fine for non o-ring chains.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Went to my local drug store today (CVS) to buy some baby oil for my chain and make my bike smell nice. Alas, they were out of stock. The pharmacist said a biker gang came in and bought all their stock. She also said they reeked of foul body stench!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hi Dylan, I was thinking of you in the early hours of this morning while cleaning my chain. Well not you exactly but your chain. As noted you have a DID chain. Mine I noticed was an RK chain - as used by Honda. Was yours a replacement or factory fitted? Maybe they use more than one brand?

Noticed yours is a kind of gold colour whereas the RK chain looks like mild steel.

For those who have an RK chain such as Marquez - lol.

Maintenance | RK JAPAN

·
Registered
221 Posts
Treated the bikes to 1 litre of 80w90 gear oil for the chain. If the Rebel goes it will still be used on the Super Cub. I ain't paying silly money for gizmo spray on lubes when a good soaking of gear oil will do just as well. £5.50/$7.10/CD 9.38 is a damn sight cheaper than can of whatever make spray a can and will last for years.

Warning! Great videos from Matt but he swears and curses like I don't know what!

Or Vic's way - No Cussing

1 - 20 of 38 Posts