Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently hit 600 miles, and called my local dealer to have my first service/oil change done. They are booked through the beginning of August, and as I am brand new to riding I was gonna play it safe and have them take care of the first oil change and service. That being said, how far can I go over the 600 miles before changing the oil? I'd hate to have to stop riding for a whole month!

·
Registered
442 Posts
all answers are pretty much anecdotal . Why don’t you do it yourself. There’s a lot of YouTube videos showing you how. It’s really simple.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Do it yourself, keep purchase receipts for oil and filter, and record mileage/date changed for warranty purposes.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Just do it yourself honestly...it takes almost no mechanical skill whatsoever. Everything you need in terms of how to do it is in the manual in the oil change section plus a quick YouTube video. I have yet to take my bike in for any service at 6000kms and I'm just going by wtv is recommended. It's all basic stuff for now...

Word of advice, the torque specs in the manual are not correct (unless they fixed that). Here's my thread on it:

·
Registered
200 Posts
It is not a thing that this MUST be done right at 600 miles.
Not sure why they didnt go to a nice round 500 miles, but whatever.
If it goes to 7-800 miles - no big deal. Since if you had to wait until you could get the bike into the dealer it would have more miles on it.
The bike wont suffer if it goes longer. It still has oil in it and its not something where that oil is mile limited.

But as posted above - do it yourself. Its easy!

·
Registered
356 Posts
It is not a thing that this MUST be done right at 600 miles.
Not sure why they didnt go to a nice round 500 miles, but whatever.
If it goes to 7-800 miles - no big deal. Since if you had to wait until you could get the bike into the dealer it would have more miles on it.
The bike wont suffer if it goes longer. It still has oil in it and its not something where that oil is mile limited.

But as posted above - do it yourself. Its easy!
I actually waited longer than prescribed...and I definitely recommend NOT delaying...that break in oil was absolutely filthy! I have a pic in my thread posted above.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice guys! I decided to give it a go on my own and it was a success! A whole lot easier than I thought it would be 😎

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Thanks for the advice guys! I decided to give it a go on my own and it was a success! A whole lot easier than I thought it would be 😎
there you go, that's how you learn things. :cool:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts