Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got to it at 673 miles. Everything is going good with the Rebel 500ABS.

I put it up on the Venom stand, pulled the drain plug and let it set for a couple days till the weekend and stuck the plug back in. Replaced the oil filter ( why no part number on the filter??? ) and began pouring in the GN4 10w30. After 2 1/2 qts there was still no oil showing in the window, 3 qts puts the oil level right in the middle of the window between the hash marks. Ran it a little and let it set and went back out to check and everything is fine.

Some of you might remember me wanting to have a dipstick for the Rebel, so I did that today too. It's mostly for when light conditions are too poor to see the window, or you just don't want to crawl around on the floor to see it.
The prototype was just a strip of that superheavy weed-eater line used in the push around trimmers.
What I ended up using was something far more available: a long zip-tie. Cheap plentiful and always around.
The pics are pretty poor as the color of the oil does not show up well on a black surface.
You DO still have to have the bike upright to get a useful reading.

First pic shows where I stopped inserting the tie.

Put it in straight down and just let it curve along the crankcase bottom.
200mm is full ( the oil in the middle of the window )
And 230mm is at the bottom of the window after those 2 1/2qts.
You probobly can't leave it in there ( they're for dipping then removing ) but I'm sure I can find a hole in the bike somewhere where I can just leave it till I need it.

Attachments

·
Registered
748 Posts
FYI - you know they make those in WHITE right? :)
be much easier to see if that's what you feel like you wanna do for dipstick.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
FYI - you know they make those in WHITE right? :)
be much easier to see if that's what you feel like you wanna do for dipstick.
Umm.. I assumed everyone knew they came in various colors, the only long ones I have at the moment are black.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts