Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my Rebel out to New Smyrna Beach this morning. This was my first time out on the highway, and the Rebel performed great! I cruised at 70-75 mph most of the way and the ride was smooth. I pushed it to 80 for a mile or 2 and felt like it had plenty of throttle left. My rear end was tired by the time I got home, but I had been on the bike for about 2.5 hours at that point. Only negative thing I can say was that at a stoplight, I had a hard time getting it down to 1st gear. I was in 2nd when I came to a stop, and had to hit the clutch a few times before it finally dropped into 1st.

Of course, I had to stop for a photo op!

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

-CG

Attachments

·
Registered
712 Posts
I try to always be in 1st gear by the time I come to a stop, using engine braking through the gears down to 3rd, then downshift to 2nd and 1st while coasting the last few yards.

The one time I had to make a hard stop from 6th, I was focused on my braking, as this was the first hard stop on the rebel, and I forgot about downshifting. Once stopped, I was only able to shift down to 3rd... had to rock the bike a bit to get it down into 1st.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
176 Posts
Did it feel agile enough throwing it around the turns? Coming from sport bikes its one thing I hope this does well enough although i have set my expectations a bit lower. Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
Did it feel agile enough throwing it around the turns? Coming from sport bikes its one thing I hope this does well enough although i have set my expectations a bit lower. Thanks in advance.
I frequently cruise with mine between 60-80 mph, and it's a breeze to drive it at these speeds.
The only somewhat issue at times is the wind resistance you'll feel at such speeds, but besides that the bike handles it great!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Did my first long weekend ride this weekend - around 300km in two legs - from my home in central Israel, up to the north of Israel (Akko), pit stop of lunch, and back via the coastal road (Israel is a tiny country). Northbound trip took about 2.5hr at a leisurely 95kph, and southbound trip took about 2hrs cruising on the highway at around 110kph.

Thanks to newly installed windscreen, there was no wind resistance at all, and only my rear end & back were sore after an hour of riding. I did a few takeovers on the highway at around 120kph without a hitch, and felt there was even more power to be had.
@CGrazFL I had more than a few times when the bike refused to get into 1st from neutral. Annoying, but I guess such is the gearbox.
@CueBaller, my breaking method is similar, but I aim to reach full stop in 2nd, and downshift late, using the front break for most of the breaking, and engine intermittently as i downshift. When at full stop, I can easily find neutral from 2nd and avoid the potential gearbox bang going all the way down to 1st.

Sometimes i'll downshift, release the clutch just a little, so I can continue downshifting, while breaking with front breaks and a bit of rear breaks assist (so no engine breaking at all). I found this makes it easier to reach the neutral at full stop quickly if I have to downshift a few gears.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't have any sport bike experience to compare, but I would say the Rebel handles curves just fine.

-CG

·
Registered
138 Posts
I don't have any sport bike experience to compare, but I would say the Rebel handles curves just fine.

-CG
I agree. This is my first bike after only riding scooters before this but other than not getting as much lean as a sport bike would I think it handles great. I've scraped pegs a few times around some tighter twisty roads while practicing but I've never felt unsettled or sketched out while cornering, the bike wants to do it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I commute to work daily in Northern California. East bound l80 for about 18 miles. I used to take the back roads but it was sort of defeating the purpose of riding a bike and was taking too long. My commute is about 25 minutes total. I cruise around 75-85(Californians drive 10-15 above speed limit) I am loving every minute of it. I have purchased a small windshield and it does help a bit with the wind. Also got a two brother exhaust and it is awesome. Just hit 2000 miles and I don't think I'll ever get rid of it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Whenever I forget to downshift when I stop, and it doesn't want to shift down at a standstill. I find feathering the clutch in and out of the friction-zone while downshifting the foot-lever lets it shift down to 1st easily.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Whenever I forget to downshift when I stop, and it doesn't want to shift down at a standstill. I find feathering the clutch in and out of the friction-zone while downshifting the foot-lever lets it shift down to 1st easily.
Use your feet to move the bike forward or backwards a couple feet and the clutch will engage.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts