Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did my first DIY oil change today. Pretty straight forward however the torque specs on the Canadian Manual made me break 2 8mm side bolts. The manual states 9 lb/ft and the bolt broke at 8 and the second one at 7. Got replacement 10mm head bolts from bolt plus. The broken pieces weren’t seized so just came off by hand.

So for anyone trying to change oil make sure your torque is no more than 6lb/ft for the side filter panel. The drain bolt is specified at 18 but feel like I might have overtightened it, but thanks to the crush washer nothing happened. Also used the old gasket.

Now going for a test run!!

·
Registered
931 Posts
good job on the change, but i'm a bit confused. what bolts did you break? all you should have done was remove drain bolt, and oil filter.
also FYI, while you may get away with reusing the crush washer this time, i would suggest you replace it every time. it's less than 1 dollar for a new one, and eventually it'll slowly leak oil if you keep reusing it.

·
Registered
715 Posts
good job on the change, but i'm a bit confused. what bolts did you break? all you should have done was remove drain bolt, and oil filter.
also FYI, while you may get away with reusing the crush washer this time, i would suggest you replace it every time. it's less than 1 dollar for a new one, and eventually it'll slowly leak oil if you keep reusing it.
The 300 does not have the same filter type that the 500 does. Their filter is behind a panel on the crankcase.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Yeah all those 8mm bolts are on all the Honda stuff and they suck, better off replacing them with better bolts anyway.

I would at least get a new crush washer for next time though. After a few uses the crush washer will be pretty compressed. It’s safe insurance from overtightening accidentally.

·
Registered
931 Posts
just watched a vid on the 300 change. that sux! another reason to be glad of having the 500 with spin-on filter.
I never liked cartridge filters/housings especially on cars; always seems to be more of a mess (IMO)

·
Registered
138 Posts
just watched a vid on the 300 change. that sux! another reason to be glad of having the 500 with spin-on filter.
I never liked cartridge filters/housings especially on cars; always seems to be more of a mess (IMO)
The 300 is surprisingly clean it doesn’t really leak out when opened compared to other cartridge filters I’ve dealt with. Doesn’t change that a regular screw on filter would be way easier though lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I used a new crush washer; just used the old engine compartment gasket - the black one!!

No leaks so all good!!

Yeah all those 8mm bolts are on all the Honda stuff and they suck, better off replacing them with better bolts anyway.

I would at least get a new crush washer for next time though. After a few uses the crush washer will be pretty compressed. It’s safe insurance from overtightening accidentally.

·
Registered
306 Posts

They're not 8mm, they are 6mmx25.

Honda's standard torque values for 6mm dia screws is 9 Nm / 6.6 lbf-ft.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yup 6mm thread with 8mm heads.
The Canadian Manual states 9lb/ft for those bolts!!

They're not 8mm, they are 6mmx25.

Honda's standard torque values for 6mm dia screws is 9 Nm / 6.6 lbf-ft.

Attachments

·
Registered
306 Posts
I think you need to make a red pen amendment to the manual!

Almost a 30% increase in torque value above that specified for 6mm screws is to my mind, incorrect.

Maybe even contact Honda.

(I'd do it but we don't get 300s in Australia).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did my first DIY oil change today. Pretty straight forward however the torque specs on the Canadian Manual made me break 2 8mm side bolts. The manual states 9 lb/ft and the bolt broke at 8 and the second one at 7. Got replacement 10mm head bolts from bolt plus. The broken pieces weren’t seized so just came off by hand.

So for anyone trying to change oil make sure your torque is no more than 6lb/ft for the side filter panel. The drain bolt is specified at 18 but feel like I might have overtightened it, but thanks to the crush washer nothing happened. Also used the old gasket.

Now going for a test run!!
I had the exact same complications. You understate the level of frustration they cause.

1. 8mm bolts crack
2. Crush washer crushes.

Then you cry.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts