Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm a new rider who's currently on the search for my first bike purchase. From everything I've read it seems like the Rebel is an ideal starter bike and most of the reviews give it pretty high praise. My only concern is that I don't want to get a bike that I will quickly outgrow, nor do I want to get something that's too much bike for a beginner. This bike seems to strike a perfect balance between the two but I will certainly rely on the expertise that you guys have to offer.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Welcome. Here's my 2 cents for what it's worth. The first thing is to decide what you are going to do with the bike and be honest with yourself. Commuting-cruising-weekend riding-fast twisty riding with friends etc. That in itself will point you in the direction that you need to go. Do your friends ride and if so what do they ride. While it's noble to want to make your own path, being the only Harley in a pack of sport-bike riders will put you at a disadvantage as would a sport bike in a pack of Harleys.

If you think that either the 300 or 500 is a bike that you'll OUTGROW, then it might be best to start out on a used bike that you can keep for a short while and resell without losing too much money. For cruisers that might be the Rebel 250 and for sport bikes it might be the Ninja 250. Lots of them out there and at a fairly reasonable price.

Either way, rubber side down.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I chose the Rebel as my first bike, purchased it in August. I agree with Longbeachgary, think about how you will be riding. In my case, most of my riding is local on country backroads so I didn't need a big touring bike or highway cruiser. I went with the 500 over the 300 because of the same concern - I didn't want to outgrow it in a few months. So far I have been very happy with it! I've even made a few trips across the state and the Rebel can hold its own on the interstate. The Rebel does everything I need it to do, so I feel like I will be riding it for a long time.

I don't know where you are located, but I have seen in my area that prices on the 2017 Rebels have dropped quite a bit now that the 2018 models are available. You could pick up a brand new Rebel and have the security of a good warranty for less than a lot of used machines out there.

Good luck on your hunt!

-CG

·
Registered
527 Posts
If you do go with the rebel, go with the 500.
I have the 300 and feel like I outgrew it's power after 2 months.

Because it's so light and responsive though it's a great bike for around town and can do highway stints when needed so I'll be hanging onto it for a while regardless.
Can easily cruise 65-70mph and still averaged 70-75 mpg. Each rider is different though, get whatever you feel most comfortable on.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the warm welcome guys and advice right out of the gate! I don't really have many friends that ride and those who do don't live in my area anymore, so I don't really have to worry about style matching. I'm mostly just looking for something to get around the inner city as I just moved downtown and am finding little need for my car. While originally I was first looking into sports bikes, I don't think long term that ill enjoy that bent over riding style.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Welcome

In my case, it's the first bigger bike after a vespa 50cc and a suzuki VanVan 125cc, and I thought the Rebel will be more than enough for everything I need, but it just happens that I feel a need for a bigger one.
With having a bike, your riding habits will expand, now you think that you only need it for local trips but trust me, once you taste it you will want it more (to hit the road purposeless) ;)
I'm not saying that the Rebel doesn't fill that shoe, but imo for long term it is really a city bike.. It might just be me, and I love my Rebel but I will likely upgrade to something bigger this summer, or the next at latest

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I certainly see myself getting more use out of it than simply using it to commute between work and home but I think its a great entry point and as I find my needs changing, I can look to alternatives. Have any of you guys done much in terms of aftermarket modifications? Just wondering if there are some common quality of life changes that you guys have come across.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I've swapped the muffler for a Coffman Shorty Exhaust (well worth it), and installed a set of viking saddlebags. Makes liquor...i mean grocery runs much easier.
Not much of a mod, but I also have a mini cargo net over my passenger seat that I use to strap down larger items like my jacket, helmet, boxes, etc. Lastly...I have a ebay cup holder.

My 300 may be slow, but it's a great city and suburban bike for all day trips.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts