Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that the Rebel is marketed as a beginner’s bike, and for many, it is their first. For me, it’s my 9th.

My first “bike” was a 150cc Vespa ET4. It was barely fast enough to ride on the freeway and people thought I was crazy to do so, but it was a lot of fun. My second was another ET4, this time with a Big Bore kit that brought it up to 180cc. The first did 70 mph, this one did 75 mph.

My third bike was a 1989 Kawasaki EX500 and it was a rocket. I didn’t need a newer 600cc sport bike or any liter bike to let me know that I have no business on sport bikes. I rode it dangerously for a year and decided to save myself from myself and get a cruiser.

4th was a 1987 Honda Shadow VT750. It was a ton of fun, but I sold it in a month because I needed cash more than a bike at the time.

5th was a 1972 Honda CB500Four. Beautiful, but as a vintage bike, needed more work and time than I had (especially without a garage).

Then I bought a Honda Shadow VLX600 and a hacksaw. Bobbed it out with that hacksaw and eventually decided I wanted the option to go on long rides with luggage. That’s hard to do when you’ve hacksawed off most of the body.

I bought a Honda Shadow Spirit VT1100C for my long-distance touring bike. I had it for 5 years, rode it all around California, replaced the fuel pump once but otherwise had no issues, but always itched for a Harley.

My 8th bike, I still own: Special Construction Harley-esque Softail. Mostly aftermarket parts in Harley style. I struggle to actually call it a Harley. Frame by Kraft Tech, 96” Evo-style S&S motor, to-me-unknown aftermarket 6-speed trans, Sportster tank, etc. I love it, but a custom-built project bike is inevitably and continuously a project that you need to work on.

I decided I need to buy something new for once in my life and looked at my options, which came down to...
1) Sell the Harley, buy a new bike for $12,000+ (I was looking at Triumph Bobbers but wanted a backseat/place to strap luggage)
2) Keep the Harley, supplement with a Rebel (has backseat/place to strap luggage)

As you can see from above, I’ve always liked Honda, and you can’t beat the bang-for-your-buckness of the Rebel. There was a Triumph event near me on Friday night where I got to check out the 2018 Bonneville Speedmaster, which was on my short list. After seeing it in person, I knew that it wasn’t for me, and the Bobber didn’t have the seat/luggage options I wanted, so Saturday, I bought the Rebel. I’ve only put 50 or so miles on it, but coming from all of the old bikes I’ve had, it rides like a dream.

Sorry for the verbose description, but I suppose I’m getting at this: The Rebel (especially the 500) is not JUST a first bike, and if it’s not your first, what else are you riding? And how does it stack up? My Harley has loads more torque, but honestly, not to the point where the Rebel disappoints. 20+ years of engineering seem to outweigh pure displacement in this case.

I’ll try to find some photos of my old bikes to add later, till then, thanks for reading and let me know your journey,

Bear

·
Super Moderator
982 Posts
I know that the Rebel is marketed as a beginner’s bike, and for many, it is their first. For me, it’s my 9th.

My first “bike” was a 150cc Vespa ET4. It was barely fast enough to ride on the freeway and people thought I was crazy to do so, but it was a lot of fun. My second was another ET4, this time with a Big Bore kit that brought it up to 180cc. The first did 70 mph, this one did 75 mph.

My third bike was a 1989 Kawasaki EX500 and it was a rocket. I didn’t need a newer 600cc sport bike or any liter bike to let me know that I have no business on sport bikes. I rode it dangerously for a year and decided to save myself from myself and get a cruiser.

4th was a 1987 Honda Shadow VT750. It was a ton of fun, but I sold it in a month because I needed cash more than a bike at the time.

5th was a 1972 Honda CB500Four. Beautiful, but as a vintage bike, needed more work and time than I had (especially without a garage).

Then I bought a Honda Shadow VLX600 and a hacksaw. Bobbed it out with that hacksaw and eventually decided I wanted the option to go on long rides with luggage. That’s hard to do when you’ve hacksawed off most of the body.

I bought a Honda Shadow Spirit VT1100C for my long-distance touring bike. I had it for 5 years, rode it all around California, replaced the fuel pump once but otherwise had no issues, but always itched for a Harley.

My 8th bike, I still own: Special Construction Harley-esque Softail. Mostly aftermarket parts in Harley style. I struggle to actually call it a Harley. Frame by Kraft Tech, 96” Evo-style S&S motor, to-me-unknown aftermarket 6-speed trans, Sportster tank, etc. I love it, but a custom-built project bike is inevitably and continuously a project that you need to work on.

I decided I need to buy something new for once in my life and looked at my options, which came down to...
1) Sell the Harley, buy a new bike for $12,000+ (I was looking at Triumph Bobbers but wanted a backseat/place to strap luggage)
2) Keep the Harley, supplement with a Rebel (has backseat/place to strap luggage)

As you can see from above, I’ve always liked Honda, and you can’t beat the bang-for-your-buckness of the Rebel. There was a Triumph event near me on Friday night where I got to check out the 2018 Bonneville Speedmaster, which was on my short list. After seeing it in person, I knew that it wasn’t for me, and the Bobber didn’t have the seat/luggage options I wanted, so Saturday, I bought the Rebel. I’ve only put 50 or so miles on it, but coming from all of the old bikes I’ve had, it rides like a dream.

Sorry for the verbose description, but I suppose I’m getting at this: The Rebel (especially the 500) is not JUST a first bike, and if it’s not your first, what else are you riding? And how does it stack up? My Harley has loads more torque, but honestly, not to the point where the Rebel disappoints. 20+ years of engineering seem to outweigh pure displacement in this case.

I’ll try to find some photos of my old bikes to add later, till then, thanks for reading and let me know your journey,

Bear
You may want to take a look at’ What bikes have you owned’ thread.
Some interesting posts on this.

http://www.hondarebel3forum.com/forum/369-other-bikes-discussion/5833-what-bikes-have-you-owned.html

·
Registered
37 Posts
Bear,

I'd be interested in seeing some better pics of that Harley project. Looks amazing.

I have always had a dream about starting my own project build one-day and i'm constantly doing research so that I can make it reality.

As for previously owned bikes, The rebel has been my introduction into the motorcycle world and I couldn't be happier with my choice. I hope to keep it until the day i die.

The Dutchman

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
The Rebel is a beginner’s bike for me, my very first. I got it back in April, and I already feel the want/"need" for something else.
But by the time I'm enough financially stable to even buy a new bike again, the poor Rebel here is gonna be such a modded bike that I probably can't even bear to sell it.. :p

·
Registered
8 Posts
The Rebel is my partners bike but ill get to ride it.

I have a 2016 Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin and a 2011 Kawasaki W800 turned cafe racer

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Rebel is my partners bike but ill get to ride it.

I have a 2016 Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin and a 2011 Kawasaki W800 turned cafe racer
2011 W800? I wish they sold those in the US. I would have bought one years ago. I like the Africa Twins too, but I feel like I will never plan the proper ride for it with long portions of dirt roads and such.

Does the Rebel feel like a slouch compared to those two?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bear,

I'd be interested in seeing some better pics of that Harley project. Looks amazing.

I have always had a dream about starting my own project build one-day and i'm constantly doing research so that I can make it reality.

As for previously owned bikes, The rebel has been my introduction into the motorcycle world and I couldn't be happier with my choice. I hope to keep it until the day i die.

The Dutchman

When the rain stops, I’ll try to get some photos of the Harley for you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
2011 W800? I wish they sold those in the US. I would have bought one years ago. I like the Africa Twins too, but I feel like I will never plan the proper ride for it with long portions of dirt roads and such.

Does the Rebel feel like a slouch compared to those two?
The Rebel would be close to the W800 in performance i think. The W800 is quite underpowered for its capacity. Mine makes 55hp at the wheel.
The Africa twin is 100hp but more weight. Its much faster then the other bikes but its no powerhouse. Plenty of power for offroad though.
Id like to get a Z900RS to replace the W800

·
Registered
176 Posts
Weight might be a major plus depending on who you ask, some of the older riders I know don't mind it and find it a bit more enjoyable to throw around at lower speeds.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The weight is no fun when your on the side of a hill in loose rock/gravel. On the road its good though, Dont get blown around by passing trucks.

·
Registered
199 Posts
First bike here, after upgrading from a scooter (Daelim S3 125). Rode several other scooters in my younger days, but the Rebel is my first "serious" bike. Yes, it's a beginner's bike but that's perfect for me, and because most of my rides are in the city, its size and handling are a big plus for me :)

·
Super Moderator
982 Posts
First bike here, after upgrading from a scooter (Daelim S3 125). Rode several other scooters in my younger days, but the Rebel is my first "serious" bike. Yes, it's a beginner's bike but that's perfect for me, and because most of my rides are in the city, its size and handling are a big plus for me :)
I have a 2015 Honda PCX & I just love using it to wiz around the congested city for light shopping & those 7-Eleven days..

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have a 2015 Honda PCX & I just love using it to wiz around the congested city for light shopping & those 7-Eleven days..
If not for the obsene insurance rates here in Israel, I'd have bought a pcx for city errands already. Alas, keeping two vehicles is a bit pricey for me

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
708 Posts
The Rebel 500 is not my first bike and it's not even my first Rebel. Here is the list as best as I can remember it:

Suzuki T200
Yamaha RD250
Kawasaki 500 Triple 2 stroke
Norton 650 Atlas
Yamaha 125
Suzuki 380 Triple
Honda Trail 110
Honda CM200 Twinstar
Moto Guzzi Cal3
Honda Rebel 250
Kawasaki Vulcan 500
Suzuki C90 Boulevard – VL1500
Honda Rebel 250
Honda Rebel 500

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
The Rebel 500 is not my first bike and it's not even my first Rebel. Here is the list as best as I can remember it:

Suzuki T200
Yamaha RD250
Kawasaki 500 Triple 2 stroke
Norton 650 Atlas
Yamaha 125
Suzuki 380 Triple
Honda Trail 110
Honda CM200 Twinstar
Moto Guzzi Cal3
Honda Rebel 250
Kawasaki Vulcan 500
Suzuki C90 Boulevard – VL1500
Honda Rebel 250
Honda Rebel 500
Nice list. What year did you have the Norton? I've heard they are somewhat of a special brand and an expensive one at that, at least today.
And what year was the Kawasaki Vulcan? I've been drooling a little over the newer ones...

·
Registered
708 Posts
Nice list. What year did you have the Norton? I've heard they are somewhat of a special brand and an expensive one at that, at least today.
And what year was the Kawasaki Vulcan? I've been drooling a little over the newer ones...
The Norton was a late 60's model and I had it in the mid 70's. The guy supposedly bored and stroked it to be a 750 instead of a 650 but I wasn't able to verify that. It was a real rat bike - I can't tell you how many times the muffler bolts vibrated loose and caused the muffler to fall off. At that time the British bikes had the shifter on the right side. Took a while to get used to that.

The Vulcan was a 2006. Very similar to the Rebel 500 except it was not fuel injected. That bike had the most uncomfortable seat EVER.

·
Registered
708 Posts

1967 Suzuki T200
1972 Yamaha RD250
1972 Kawasaki 500 Triple 2 stroke
1968 Norton 650 Atlas
Yamaha 125
1976 Suzuki 380 Triple
1980 Honda Trail 110
1982 Honda CM200 Twinstar
1989 Moto Guzzi Cal3
1992 Suzuki Bandit 400
2006 Honda Rebel 250
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 500
2006 Suzuki C90 Boulevard – VL1500
2009 Honda Rebel 250
2017 Honda Rebel 500
I put the year of each bike as I best remember - could be off by a year or two.
Gary

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bear,

The Dutchman
Here are some of my Harley

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts