Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure we've all seen the accident posts on this forum, and although we empathize with our fellow riders, deep down we think "thank god that wasn't me".

Well folks...today it was me :frown2:

Those familiar with Chicago will know the area; I was on the 294-S Expressway by the I90-W exit (a fairly busy and traffic congested area).

Luckily my commute home was during traffic hour and speeds were relatively low. I was sitting in my own lane, minding my own business, when suddenly someone from behind decided to cut across to the exit and side swiped me in the rear. It's truly amazing how much like a rag doll we are compared to the force of a car. Before I even knew what was happening I was on the floor sliding with my bike.

Glad to say there's no bodily damage to myself, and nothing beyond cosmetic for the bike. I can't speak highly enough about the T-Rex Crash Guards and the Viking Bags. If it weren't for those two items I'm sure there would be a lot more than just cosmetic fixes to worry about. Can't say for sure, but I'm pretty certain the crash guard also prevent the bike from landing on my leg and pinning it down.

So So So glad I decided to wear my full gear today despite it being one of the best weather days we've had in Chicago in a long time. This morning I was tempted to ditch the jacket and full face helmet and go for lighter clothes. If new and seasoned riders learn anything from this post, I hope it's to always wear your protective gear! I know I will from now on.

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
Glad you're ok bro...

Those scratches look awful, but I can only imagine how much worse it would have been without the bars...that's you're entire right side of the bike gone!

While this is incredibly regretful, I'm glad to see you walked away and that the parts you installed did their job as designed.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Glad you're ok to start with $Bill.
so did the dude stop? or police show up for the collision? if he stopped i think i'd have to be restrained from giving someone a swift kick in the A$$

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Glad you're ok to start with $Bill.
so did the dude stop? or police show up for the collision? if he stopped i think i'd have to be restrained from giving someone a swift kick in the A$$
Too much traffic and witnesses for them to drive off lol. Cops came and made an accident report. I tried to keep my distance from the driver during the process to avoid saying/doing something I'd later regret. Possibly working out a cash deal instead of involving insurance.

The hardest part of this ordeal is the whole family and wife telling me to stop riding.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The hardest part of this ordeal is the whole family and wife telling me to stop riding.
Same thing happened with my dad. We was sideswiped by some motorist. Totally not his fault. But my mom wouldn't stop worrying and asked him to stop. I think the accident rattled him too and he stopped riding. He still mentions he still wishes he still rides sometimes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts