Honda Rebel 300, 500, & 1100 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled the muffler off my 300 last night, just to see how loud it was for myself.... definitely too loud to ride. I inspected the factory muffler and it appears to have catalytic material inside at the slip on end. I know the 500 has a cat, clearly identifiable in pictures, not so with the 300. Can anyone confirm the cat is part of the muffler on the 300, and has anyone taken the leap of removing the cat material, any potential I'll effects? I know I've done it on cars but this different.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have wondered this as well. I am in the process of eventually getting a 500 muffler from someone who has upgraded. I wanted to look side by side and see if both include this material. There are some differences between the two mufflers, I watched a video and the 500 muffler has a slightly different tone.

Could you look into your header pipe with the muffler removed and see if it was completely open? From what others have said I was under the impression the cat is built into the header not the muffler, but maybe they were always talking about the 500.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have wondered this as well. I am in the process of eventually getting a 500 muffler from someone who has upgraded. I wanted to look side by side and see if both include this material. There are some differences between the two mufflers, I watched a video and the 500 muffler has a slightly different tone.
Could you look into your header pipe with the muffler removed and see if it was completely open? From what others have said I was under the impression the cat is built into the header not the muffler, but maybe they were always talking about the 500.
I know the 300 muffler is considerably more expensive which leads me to believe it incorporates the cat...if it were part of the header it would have to be tiny to fit between the o2 sensor and the downpipe

·
Registered
21 Posts
I completely agree with you, I took one look at that pipe and said the cat would have to be fairly restrictive to be within that small diameter pipe. Well this is good news now I know for sure the 02 sensor does not care about the cat. I wonder if the 500 muffler on a 300 would yield a substantial flow increase out of the box? Makes me want one to try bolting on, then again they still look like a big bloated turd haha.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Other than the TBR I haven't found anything for the 300, all the knockoffs aren't going to provide any back pressure, so I'm going to wait until Christmas, maybe something will be out by then. Give my wife some gift ideas ?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yeah the Two-bros is expensive but seems to be the only exhaust out there that is not a empty can. I don't really want it to be much more loud. The only exhaust I found that I like was Aarow one but it was like 500 something...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts