Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pro-Race Gp Cone bolted on today.
Sounds better than I imagined, it's fairly loud but can be louder by removing the baffle or quietend by packing out the baffle with exhaust wadding!
I'm happy as is. I have the down pipe system on order to go CAT free. This will need engine remapping when fitted,
Should release a little more power & torque.
I will do a short YouTube video when I get a chance so you guys can have a listen.

Attachments

·
Banned
247 Posts
I think this assumption has been commonly debunked. The engine performance is generally tuned to work with the stock exhaust and when you change out the muffler/pipes you change that dynamic and even after re-mapping most people show they have a loss of power at high end, low end, or torque, or all of the above.

People will swear up and down they get performance increases but I've yet to see any real dyno testing before/after that would support this claim.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My Honda dealer thinks it will do a little bit more but mainly a little moe torque. I'll be posting the DYNO test results once the cat has been removed!
You can tune most engines to a degre if you know what your doing. Most debunk posts are from people who don't know what they are doing

·
Registered
715 Posts
Sounds better than I imagined, it's fairly loud but can be louder by removing the baffle or quietend by packing out the baffle with exhaust wadding!
I'm happy as is. I have the down pipe system on order to go CAT free. This will need engine remapping when fitted,
I will do a short YouTube video when I get a chance so you guys can have a listen.
It looks a little unfinished. Are you going to paint it or leave it as-is?

·
Registered
57 Posts

Look awesome! I think I am sold!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The pipe is made in stainless steel and the segmented section weld is how it is supposed to look. When I received the headers the whole system will Mach, so shouldn't look so odd. Although I am considering ceramic coating or even copper plate.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The pipe is made in stainless steel and the segmented section weld is how it is supposed to look. When I received the headers the whole system will Mach, so shouldn't look so odd. Although I am considering ceramic coating or even copper plate.

Mike, before I make an order, can I check its easy to fix? It looks pretty simple ... I am not very mechanical. If you take the CAT out is it then not road legal? And where do you get the headers from? Cheers

·
Banned
247 Posts
Mike, before I make an order, can I check its easy to fix? It looks pretty simple ... I am not very mechanical. If you take the CAT out is it then not road legal? And where do you get the headers from? Cheers

In almost every country if you remove the muffler/catalytic converter it will not pass emissions or sound level inspections. Some aftermarket mufflers will still provide some level of sound level control with a baffle that might be able to be removed. But if you do take out the stock muffler/pipes I would keep them around in case you need to replace them to pass an inspection.

As far as muffler/pipe installation in most cases it's relatively simple and only requires 3-5 tools, most of which are very common.

·
Registered
57 Posts
In almost every country if you remove the muffler/catalytic converter it will not pass emissions or sound level inspections. Some aftermarket mufflers will still provide some level of sound level control with a baffle that might be able to be removed. But if you do take out the stock muffler/pipes I would keep them around in case you need to replace them to pass an inspection.

As far as muffler/pipe installation in most cases it's relatively simple and only requires 3-5 tools, most of which are very common.

Thanks Mike, much appreciated, I assume the pro race GP cone is road legal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
247 Posts
Thanks Mike, much appreciated, I assume the pro race GP cone is road legal?

I'm not Mike, but the legal question will depend on you local laws and regulations, I would research your area for the laws on sound and emissions and possibly anything that might restrict your muffler/pipe selection.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm not Mike, but the legal question will depend on you local laws and regulations, I would research your area for the laws on sound and emissions and possibly anything that might restrict your muffler/pipe selection.

Aha! Sorry, okay thanks!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Hi Ricky ,
Yes their are 2 bolts, one that clamps the end can tube to to the header Pipe and the other is on the end can that bolts to the frame!
Note that the endcan pipe could do with a heavier duty clamp than the one they supply. You can use the original jubilee clamp that came with the bike. That's it for that part.
The header pipes are not made yet, I'm waiting on the first one.
If you do go for this full system then you are best advised to let your dealer fit as you want the sensors that connect to the CAT isolated
And you will need a remap once the cat is out the way.
You shouldn't have any problems in the UK with passing an MOT as (unless things have changed recently)they don't do emissions on bikes.
I have taken CATs of all my modern bikes and never had a failed MOT.( but obviously keep the old system just in case)
They may however have a problem with the sound level but you can always take the baffle out (one little bolt)and wrap exhaust waddling around it and secure with bare wire.
Any problems give me a shout.
Mike

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi Ricky ,

Yes their are 2 bolts, one that clamps the end can tube to to the header Pipe and the other is on the end can that bolts to the frame!

Note that the endcan pipe could do with a heavier duty clamp than the one they supply. You can use the original jubilee clamp that came with the bike. That's it for that part.

If you do go for this full system then you are best advised to let your dealer fit as you want the sensors that connect to the CAT isolated

You shouldn't have any problems in the UK with passing an MOT as (unless things have changed recently)they don't do emissions on bikes.

I have taken CATs of all my modern bikes and never had a failed MOT.( but obviously keep the old system just in case)

They may however have a problem with the sound level but you can always take the baffle out (one little bolt)and wrap exhaust waddling around it and secure with bare wire.

Mike

Hi Mike

Sweet! Thanks a lot, seems simple enough. I will be purchasing now. New to riding! Had no idea the law was different for bikes, really appreciate the advise. Any idea when the full system will be available? Cheers Ricky

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi Mike

Sweet! Thanks a lot, seems simple enough. I will be purchasing now. New to riding! Had no idea the law was different for bikes, really appreciate the advise. Any idea when the full system will be available? Cheers Ricky

Hi Ricky,
I was told about 2 weeks for them to make the front pipes.
If your quick you may just be able to get yours made at the same time.
Mike

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi Ricky ,

Mike

Cool, do you have a link?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi Ricky,

I was told about 2 weeks for them to make the front pipes.

If your quick you may just be able to get yours made at the same time.

Mike

So I should get the slip by Thursday, on the same day I have my first service, and having a rear white wall tyre fitted by my Honda dealer...

·
Registered
57 Posts
So I should get the slip by Thursday, on the same day I have my first service, and having a rear white wall tyre fitted by my Honda dealer...

Btw, I managed to get the slip for £270 on eBay, do you mind if I ask what you paid for the front bits?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Pro-race.co.uk
They don't show the pipe on their website you will need to mail of Phone them as this is a very new product

1 - 20 of 39 Posts