Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey so I'm new to this hobby and I'm wondering what you all would say about new engine break ins. Anything special besides an oil change?

·
Super Moderator
1,255 Posts
limit and vary your rpms - keep the rpms low but don't !!! lug the engine - 2000 to 3000 rpms for the first 20 minutes

limit your top end - first 1000 miles don't use more than 3/4 throttle

the good news is... you can do 1000 miles in 2 weeks if you're committed to it

·
Registered
814 Posts
limit and vary your rpms - keep the rpms low but don't !!! lug the engine - 2000 to 3000 rpms for the first 20 minutes

limit your top end - first 1000 miles don't use more than 3/4 throttle

the good news is... you can do 1000 miles in 2 weeks if you're committed to it
FYI no Tach on the bike so good luck trying to monitor rpms.

Don't lug/ Don't push it to hard. Just vary for the first 600miles.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I think alot of people always remember the "go easy" part of breaking in, but alot of people forget the "but don't baby it" part. Still give it some good throttle, just don't go all out. I normally accelerate with half throttle and shift later (bringing rpm up) as much as I can when breaking in.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've always believed in the "hard break in" process which is what I've done to all my bikes so far. The most important thing is to get the engine to a good working temp before doing any "good" runs on the bike. Also, make sure to cool it down after hard runs. As far as the rebel is specifically concerned, I've noticed that the transmission has since become smoother after about 200+ miles of this process while my cousin has said that even after 200+ miles on his, his tranny still feels a little notchy. might just be random. anyway, however you do it, make sure you enjoy it. Cheers!

·
Registered
204 Posts
I like the sounds of the hard break-in process a lot more ;)

But I think I'll just stick with the regular varying rpms and keep it below a "full out" kind of runs.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Well now I'm looking forward to the "transmission becoming smoother", as this is real clickety-clunky as it is now.
It is weird because all the reviewers said they loved the shifting, but I am guessing Honda must have broke all those bikes in first, which makes sense.

·
Registered
221 Posts
It is weird because all the reviewers said they loved the shifting, but I am guessing Honda must have broke all those bikes in first, which makes sense.
Either broken in, or some people really like that feel. if it gets even 30% smoother I think it might be perfect.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Either broken in, or some people really like that feel. if it gets even 30% smoother I think it might be perfect.
Having had a Honda Grom with the same clunky transmission at first, it does get better over time. I've read other threads were neutral is hard to find at first and that is exactly how it was for my rebel when I first got it. The Grom was the same way until about 300-400 miles in. The rebel's transmission has smoothened out quite a bit after about 250 miles but I've been running it around town where shifting it constantly is a necessity. Compared to both my versys x300 which was way smoother even from the first ride out of the stealership and my fz-07, the rebel's tranny is quite "rough". Neutral is now a little easier to find at stoplights and just hoping it gets smoother over time/miles.

·
Registered
527 Posts
My dealer told me to break it in over the first 600 miles before the first oil change and valve check (Keep varying RPMS and don't "Cruise").
The Manual says break in period is only 300 miles. Did you guys keep varying your RPMS all the way up to the first oil change/valve check?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I got nothing but open highway so I have cruised for 20 min at a time. Varying speeds from 50-80. At 400 miles presently.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just beat you to it Fred! Went wednesday for 600 mile/1000 km check. Done whilst waiting, no further comments, € 101,80, which converts to $115.91.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I just passed the 1000km tonight, so right on time for me.
Any advice on what to ask to the dealer?
I won't see them before 11000kms.

I will make them notice about the side covers that are not always well plugged.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Having just passed 300 miles my shifter is way smoother than when new. I was also surprised to read in the owners manual that the recommended break-in is 300 miles, during which you should:

Avoid full-throttle starts and rapid acceleration
Avoid hard braking and rapid down shifts
Ride conservatively

1 - 20 of 91 Posts