Honda Rebel 300, 500, & 1100 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to use my emergency flasher as parking lights. Does anyone know how log you can run the emergency flashers without running the battery down to the point where the bike won't start?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
no idea-but why would you want to take a chance you've run it too low, and you're bike won't start from wherever you left it?

·
Administrator
1,597 Posts
it could be calculated - amps to run the lights versus battery capacity - you don't want to run a lead acid battery below 50% - i think fully charged battery should be able to run the hazard lights for an hour without a problem - starting ability will vary depending on how cold it is out - so an hour running the lights would be ok in the summer but maybe not in the winter

·
Registered
671 Posts
You can test that. If you have a charger or battery tender hook up mounted on bike (all mine get that hookup on day 1). Ride it home, at home turn them on. You must have some idea how long you will typically leave it parked. Try 30 minutes, then try to start it. Then an hour, 2 hours, etc till bike will not start. Charge battery and now you know.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no idea-but why would you want to take a chance you've run it too low, and you're bike won't start from wherever you left it?
Excellent point! Fortunately the E flashers don't work unless the key in on. So, I still need a parking light solution so people don't try to park on my bike.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Excellent point! Fortunately the E flashers don't work unless the key in on. So, I still need a parking light solution so people don't try to park on my bike.
I you have a battery tender hookup installed wire a strobe light to that power source. Something like bicycle riders use. LED low battery drain. Or set of led strip lights wired to it. Plug in when you need them. Some strips have adhesive backs and wires too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Might be worth replacing your lead acid battery with a lithium ion, although I ruled it out on benefit to cost before I considered the technical aspect. Seemed like an interesting experiment when I was window shopping online.

If anybody can comment on the cranking performance, it might be a tidier option than external batteries and wires. Not sure if rewiring the lights to bypass the ignition would be better then finding some other lighting to connect directly to the terminals. But once you have the larger capacity battery, you can find of other uses for the direct power. (Just watch out for parasitic drain from an unused USB plug etc)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts