Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Only took less than a week but I managed to do it :(. Anyway what happened I was going into my driveway (kind of steep) and didn't go in wide enough so I hit my garden and dropped my rebel. I'm okay but these 2 rings fell out. One looks like a regular metallic ring and the other like a nose ring. I don't know where they belong and also my front brake lever is now bent.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, I'm not sure about this but I think the front fork of my rebel 300 want bent towards me. Do they have a slight bent on the lower half of the fork?

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
This is the bend.

Sent from my m8 using Tapatalk
Fork Tubes can be straightened with a Porta Power. You can commonly find a Porta Power in a an automotive body shop. I have straightened forks on racers without even disassembling the fork tubes, naturally you will have to remove the fork tubes from the bike.

If you have insurance, and the deductible isn't too high you can probably have new forks installed at a Honda dealer.

Kenny G

·
Registered
306 Posts
Only took less than a week but I managed to do it :(. Anyway what happened I was going into my driveway (kind of steep) and didn't go in wide enough so I hit my garden and dropped my rebel. I'm okay but these 2 rings fell out. One looks like a regular metallic ring and the other like a nose ring. I don't know where they belong and also my front brake lever is now bent.
Sorry to hear about your accident, hope it gets sorted soon.

The two rings are a washer and a circlip (the "nose ring"). They are used to secure a clevis pin (see picture below) in place.

Clevis pins are used on footpegs and other places on a bike where they act as an axle.

If you look at the pins which hold your footpegs you will see what they look like, but I think they will be secured with a washer and split pin.

It's very important that you go over your bike and see if it has any clevis pins and if they have a missing washer/circlip. If there's one not secured it could fall out and the results could be bad.

It's also possible that they may have come from somewhere else and them being there is just coincidence.

Cheers

Jim

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you guys for replying. I was getting anxious lol. Well now I have some kind of knowledge when I'm talking to the mechanic tomorrow. And is a $500 deductible considered high?

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Thank you guys for replying. I was getting anxious lol. Well now I have some kind of knowledge when I'm talking to the mechanic tomorrow. And is a $500 deductible considered high?

In this day and age $500.00 is not a lot of money for anyone that is still working.

Kenny G

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A single fork tube is going to cost over $250.00. If one tube is bent chances are both tubes will be bent.

Kenny G
Yes they are both bent. It didn't even take much either. Well stuff happens and after it happens just have to make sure it doesn't happen twice. Do you recommend I ask someone to use the portal power on it? I don't mind spending the money but just want to know my best option.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Go through your insurance company and get it fixed correctly. Much more could be damaged that you cannot see so don't chance safety for $$$$.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Yes they are both bent. It didn't even take much either. Well stuff happens and after it happens just have to make sure it doesn't happen twice. Do you recommend I ask someone to use the portal power on it? I don't mind spending the money but just want to know my best option.

Deluxe,

Find a place that has a Porta Power and ask what their minimum charge is. Remember you have to remove the forks from the bike to straighten them.

Also, get an estimate from a Honda Dealer as their technician is likely to find out if there is more damage than meets the eye.

It may be a tough decision to make as to which way to go.

Good Luck

Kenny G

1 - 14 of 14 Posts