Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Honda Rebel 300 CMX300a
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Y'all said it would happen eventually and it did. Technically this was yesterday, but I didn't have time to post.

Luckily, I wasn't riding, and the bike wasn't even started. Now that I think about it, i don't know if that's better or worse... :unsure:

I had finished a ride and parked the bike outside the garage. I went in to move some stuff around in the garage before parking it inside. Got back on the bike to move it in, went to start it, and realized I left the keys in my jacket. Leaned the bike to the left to put it back on the kickstand and thought "that's odd... I should be on the kickstand by now... OH NO!!!!"

Yep, I had already lifted the kickstand when I got on the bike. It ended up being more of a slow descent to the ground than an actual drop as I tried to keep it from going down. But even with the 300's light weight, when you're seated on it, there's just no way to stop it after a certain angle. Luckily, the crash bars did their job and the only damage was some scratches on the crash bars and some scratches on the passenger foot pegs. I ended up with a decent scrape on my elbow and a bruised pride.

But hey, now I don't have to worry about dropping it the first time. :D

·
Registered
221 Posts
Sorry to hear of your mishap. You will not be the first and certainly not the last for it to happen. Only a few months ago I almost dropped my previous bike in the garage except my body saved it and I took the knocks, bruises and scuffs on my knees, arms and chest. 260 kilos is a mighty heavy bike to stop crashing to the ground.

By the by. Take note. I don’t feel to good about the side stand. It flicks up too easily. You only have to move the bike and it will flick up of it’s own accord. I think I’ll tighten it up.

I’ll end with this true tale. More than once I have seen riders after a long ride get off their bike and forget to put the stand down. As they walk away feeling very weary they are jolted by a loud crashing noise!

😹

·
Registered
304 Posts
Hey sorry this happened, but at least the bulk of the damage was to your pride. Happens to the best of us...don't sweat it, and I bet you you're never going to get off the bike going forward before triple checking the stand haha. That's exactly what crash bars are for I feel... stationary drops 👍

@Sooty I actually had a somewhat similar thing happen when I was checking the oil one day. I thought I can balance the bike and check the oil at the same time...yeah, nope. Luckily I was crouched and my knee and thigh took the impact, and I held on to the handlebar with both hands until I was able to regain composure and push up with my other leg.

·
Registered
2017 Honda Rebel 300 CMX300a
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's exactly what crash bars are for I feel... stationary drops 👍
Yep! That's precisely why I bought them: protect the bike when I drop it during low-speed maneuver practicing. Or when I forget to put the kickstand down. LOL!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Happens I actually had a somewhat similar thing happen when I was checking the oil one day. I thought I can balance the bike and check the oil at the same time...yeah, nope. Luckily I was crouched and my knee and thigh took the impact, and I held on to the handlebar with both hands until I was able to regain composure and push up with my other leg.
It ain’t no fun is it? Pleased you wasn't seriously injured.

I weigh 59kg and the bike weighed 260 kilos - serves me right for having filled up the tank - lol. While it was laying one me I prayed for a neighbour to pass by to help. No such luck. I even thought about power to weight ratios and how one is supposed to lift twice one’s own weight. And so, as you do in such circumstances, I lost my temper, cursed and abused the bike and gave it one almighty push upright. Then I went inside the house and had a nice cup of tea.

You live and you learn.

😸

·
Registered
550 Posts
I got pinned underneath mine after trying to practice wheeling it aound on my drive (I thought I should). I got out. Never again such manoeuvres. No injuries or damage to speak of.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Y'all said it would happen eventually and it did. Technically this was yesterday, but I didn't have time to post.

Luckily, I wasn't riding, and the bike wasn't even started. Now that I think about it, i don't know if that's better or worse... :unsure:
I got my first drop out of the way very early. Literally as soon as the dealer dropped it off and I was wheeling it round to the back of the property I lost it a little bit and it was more of a gentle lay down than an out and out drop. Thankfully not a single scratch.

Thankfully the dealer delivery guy didn't witness any of this :)

·
Registered
550 Posts
We should not feei bad about dropping a bike. It is surely undesirable but they are very awkward top heavy lumps of metal to heave about. They have no resistance of their own against a drop. And if it decides it's time to drop, there is no stopping it - just get beyond that tipping point and down it goes.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Rebel 500
17 Posts
I dropped my bike several times when I first got it. Its got a few scratches on it but nothing major. The most damage was to the stock muffler which I replaced. You can barely see the other damage unless I stand around pointing it out LOL.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts