Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
That's how i do it now but consider it engine braking since I'm using the engine to "brake" my speed, same as doing it in a vehicle when on snow/ice. But at least I know now i'm doing it "right".
Yeah for sure it is. I mean like others said, you can definitely just hold the clutch in and "coast" down the gears all at once till you reach complete stop, but that's dangerous because you may not be in the right gear for an emergency.

The manual calls out the ideal downshift speed for each gear...it is definitely on the very conservative side. You're good.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Let me clarify -
I never said pull the clutch and coast to a stop.

I'm cruising on the freeway and there is a light ahead -
In my car, an automatic for more clarification, I'll get off the throttle and let the car "coast" and then when its time I apply the brake and stop,
On my bike, I can either close the throttle and after a while down shift to 5th, and after a while down shift to 4th, and then when its time pull the brake to come to a stop, AND THEN pull the clutch and stop, OR
I can close the throttle and just like my car let the bike slow and when its time pull the brake and then a bit later the clutch.
(brake then clutch in both cases)

I do not advise to "coast" in neutral. Its not safe!

What I also do not think is safe is to downshift through all the gears. With all the crazies out there, and you want to slow like a grandpa, that is a sure way to get them worked up enough to go after to you in some way. Also you haven't touched the brake and alerted those behind that your are slowing (no brake light). If your in your car and someone is slowing down to much do you like it?? Most would say nope!

But hey you can ride any way you want. Just trying to get the word out to be safe out there!!
And down shifting all the way to 1st is not always the safest, and does not HAVE TO be done!

·
Registered
304 Posts
I just wanna say...

This thread has jinxed me somehow. I have not had a single incident in 2 whole riding seasons. I've never even stalled this bike (except purposely when I first got it to test out what happens and the friction zone) or had a close call.

Went for a long ride today and I think I actually made every single mistake possible to make on a bike. Stalled it 3 times, almost tipped over once at a complete standstill, was in the wrong gear like a million times, clunky AF gear changes, and even ran a red light (and stalled) because I couldn't stop on time.

Not sure what the heck happened today but I'm done with this thread 🤣

·
Registered
221 Posts
Went for a long ride today and I think I actually made every single mistake possible to make on a bike. Stalled it 3 times, almost tipped over once at a complete standstill, was in the wrong gear like a million times, clunky AF gear changes, and even ran a red light (and stalled) because I couldn't stop on time.

Not sure what the heck happened today but I'm done with this thread 🤣
I think we have all been there at some time or other. One mistake follows another and so on. Did I go through that light on red? Was I going too fast approaching a junction? Should I have slowed down for the old lady? Was that my gear box crunching? - lol.

We all start a journey feeling positive only for it to end in bad karma. As the saying goes: “The Road To Hell Is Paved With Good Intentions.”

I knew I should have stayed at home and read a book.

Better Luck on the next journey.

😸

·
Registered
177 Posts
It's like when someone reads the manual and posts about when you should shift.
NO!
You shift when the bike tells you by sound, or your speed tells you to shift.
Unless your revving to the redline you cant break the bike with shifting too late. And this will come with practice.
I guess too many out there have never driven a manual shift car. Maybe they should transition to auto shifting bikes???
Honda does make a few models - NC700, CTX.

I was just pointing out that you do not for any reason have to downshift through every gear.
In fact you dont have to down shift at all. Use the brake and then when your almost stopped pull the clutch and downshift to the gear needed.
And to clarify - downshift before you stop! It will make your life easier.

It should be an unconscious thing that you do.
If you have to think about it, you take your mind off the more important thing of not getting hit by the crazies out there!!

Ride safe!

·
Registered
26 Posts
WHY are you down shifting into 1st or even 2nd??
I'm not yelling at you but you are causing problems with those behind you.
You have to go a very slow speed to get into 1st which I'm sure those behind you really enjoy.
No need to make those bigger than you angry at you.
ALSO use your brake to alert those behind you that you are slowing down. I don't want to have someone rear end me!

And you do not have to down shift through all gears for the bike to function after a stop.
If I'm going highway speeds I will go into 5th and 4th, but no all the gears.
That is why you have brakes!
JDock. I think you missed the question. When you're are at 40mph and you gotta stop to 0 mph, you gotta downshift, regardless of those behind you. The original question was: is clunky downshifting normal?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Highly recommend - Keith Code, "Twist of the Wrist" books or video, many available on YouTube.

He's forgotten more about how to optimize motorcycle control than most of us will ever learn.

As Keith puts it, "brake parts are cheap, engine parts are expensive".

Use the brakes to slow down, not the engine.

·
Registered
2019 Rebel 500
41 Posts
Can you cite that source? specifically the quotes as I would love a little more insight into the context.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I do understand - If I'm at 40 and I have to stop I would not downshift at all!
Pull the brake after a few seconds the clutch and downshift to first just before I stop.
I'm ready to go - simple!

Clunky downshifting is shifting into a smaller gear when the revs are still high. You have to wait until the revs match the gear you going into.
This takes time, and is why I said dont go through all gears as you slow.
AS Hojo mentioned above - no need to use all gears as an engine brake while stopping!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Can you cite that source? specifically the quotes as I would love a little more insight into the context.
Sure !
Just go to YouTube, Type Keith Code a twist of the wrist, multiple videos to choose from.

I agree with the argument that it's a great idea to have the motorcycle in gear when stopping at an intersection, just in case one of the drivers behind you doesn't stop at the intersection, gives you the option of escape.

I don't agree that we need to, or should be using the engine for braking, the exception being down shifting on long descents, and using engine braking to save the brakes from overheating.

·
Registered
2017 Honda Rebel 300 CMX300a
71 Posts
I don't agree that we need to, or should be using the engine for braking, the exception being down shifting on long descents, and using engine braking to save the brakes from overheating.
So then, coming into a stop, do you pull the clutch, keep it held in, and just continue to downshift to what would be an appropriate gear for the speed until you stop? Just trying to understand how you're suggesting it be done.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So then, coming into a stop, do you pull the clutch, keep it held in, and just continue to downshift to what would be an appropriate gear for the speed until you stop?

Yes, while trying not to use the engine so much for braking.

Old carburetor engines use fuel when engine braking. EFI engines don't, so that's not the issue.

Myself, and I think anyone can slow more precisely, in greater control, using 2 fingers on a brake lever, rather than trying to perfectly rev match the speed of the engine to the speed of the vehicle to the amount of braking one wants to apply.

I use mostly back brake coming to a stop at an intersection, primarily front brake when cornering. To see why, study as much as you can about the physics of "Trail Braking" while cornering, multiple YouTube videos, recommend Mike on Bikes, or Ari Henning's older MC Garage videos. Learning trail braking has made a word of difference to my control when cornering, middle-middle-middle is no longer a challenge at all.

·
Registered
2019 Rebel 300
152 Posts
Front and rear brake and downshifting through the gears while slowing to a stop. Unless emergency, then front and rear brakes aggressively, no ABS on my bike.
It's best to be in the gear for the rpm and speed you are at any given time so if needing to recover you can immediately!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Get a 125cc Super Cub - 70mph easy. One-two-three-four-down. Stop at junction in fourth and one click down and back to neutral quicker than you can say supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.

Who needs a clutch wearing a pair of slippers!

:p

·
Registered
2 Posts
@TheJables ... So do motorcycle drivers never give their throttle arm a break? ...
I'm also a rather new rider, coming up on 8kmi on this first bike. The way it was taught to me in my MSF course was that "you set the speed of the tire" and that sudden changes are the bigger issue, so if I dropped a gear at too high of a speed, didn't ease the clutch out, didn't rev match, &c, I'm dumping the difference into the gear box, chain, and rear tire. With that said, I've found the Rebel's gearing to be super low, I don't use 1st gear at all unless I'm coming to/from a dead stop, if it's feeling "clunky" perhaps you're downshifting too early, or letting the clutch out too quickly?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Agreed dsm.
AND if your riding along and the engine seems boggy/jerky its because your in to high of a gear for the speed your going.
Wind it up a bit. You wont do damage.
There is no set speed that you MUST shift at, be at for a given speed. You can go 50 plus in 3rd if you wish!

21 - 37 of 37 Posts